Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #46
Pentaxian

So... you still believe that they'd use the highest grade sealing on the cheapest lenses, with the lowest grade sealing reserved for high-end lenses?

03-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So... you still believe that they'd use the highest grade sealing on the cheapest lenses, with the lowest grade sealing reserved for high-end lenses?
Nope, I didn't try to assign any logic to it whatsoever, because of the time-line of these lens releases, change of ownership, and the quirkyness of Pentax, I just accepted what I have as what it is.

I own both the DFA100WR and a DA*300, never gave the weather sealing aspect of the DA*300 much thought to be honest. If you ever spend much time with a DFA100WR, you could easily be fooled into thinking it is almost "Limited" build quality, so I don't think of it as a low grade cheapo lens.

While the DA*300 is crazy good optically, for all it's accolades on that, it could use a way better designed lens hood mount, and could learn something from the lowly DFA100WR about built in hoods...

Eric

Last edited by Erictator; 03-03-2018 at 09:53 AM.
03-03-2018, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Sorry, I couldn't help it
But you can deduce the serious part of my answer: AW is their high grade weather sealing (used in lenses like the DA*s and D FA*s) while WR is their "lesser", drip-proof sealing used in less expensive products. The 18-50 is a WR lens, too.
And yes, they do say that WR is their "lesser" sealing, somewhere on their website (can't remember where though).
03-03-2018, 11:04 AM - 4 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
X
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
... somewhere on their website (can't remember where though).
https://www.ricoh.co.in/sites/www.ricoh.co.in/files/lens.pdf

"AW lenses provide maximum weather-resistant and dustproof performance preventing the intrusion of drizzle and dust into the lens barrel. The next category of “all weather” PENTAX lenses is designated as WR or weather-resistant. These affordable lenses utilize a simplified weather-resistant construction, making it more dif cult for water to enter the lens and are designed to repel a light splash of water."

03-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
https://www.ricoh.co.in/sites/www.ricoh.co.in/files/lens.pdf

"AW lenses provide maximum weather-resistant and dustproof performance preventing the intrusion of drizzle and dust into the lens barrel. The next category of “all weather” PENTAX lenses is designated as WR or weather-resistant. These affordable lenses utilize a simplified weather-resistant construction, making it more dif cult for water to enter the lens and are designed to repel a light splash of water."
It's not like I didn't believe you guys, but thanks for finding it. All I was trying to convey was the lack of obvious tell tales on the DA*300 lens with the well hidden black o-ring.

To be fair, you have to admit, Pentax marketing sucks... the words AW or any mention of weather or dust sealing for that matter is not mentioned at all places like here:

smc PENTAX-DA? 300mm F4 ED[IF] SDMfr

You would think it would be a headliner!

Look at that price! Now THAT is a headliner... Almost makes me want to buy a spare.
Eric
03-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #51

Photos: Gallery
The release for the DA* 11-18 includes the text “This lens was developed as a ‘new-generation star lens’, which drastically reviewed internal standards in order to respond to future camera performance improvements”. Could they be embarking on a complete revamp of the DA* line to achieve these “higher standards”?
03-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cthulhugan Quote
Could they be embarking on a complete revamp of the DA* line to achieve these “higher standards”?
Yes they are.

03-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I know that image quality is really good. But, it's too heavy. I'd give up some reach to have something lite.
If you don't already have the 55-300, shame on you!

And so cheap.
03-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cthulhugan Quote
The release for the DA* 11-18 includes the text “This lens was developed as a ‘new-generation star lens’, which drastically reviewed internal standards in order to respond to future camera performance improvements”. Could they be embarking on a complete revamp of the DA* line to achieve these “higher standards”?
It’s referring to the new highly complex optical designs with ridulculosly small tolerances. Like the DFA* 70-200. So maybe the 16-50 could receive an updated design to make it better. At the moment the rumour is just about upgrading lens motors in certain lenses. They may make them KAF4 as well.
03-03-2018, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yes they are.
I phrased that very poorly. I’m wondering if they’ll do it all at once, like with the HD DA Limiteds, or one at a time. It is a rhetorical question, I know, anyone who knows can’t talk, but we can have fun speculating (like about a DA* HD 60-250/4 with revised exit pupil and coatings — I just bought the SMC version, which makes it all the more likely).
03-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #56
Pentaxian

It would be nice if they can extend the 60-250 to 300. A little more reach would be great.
03-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be nice if they can extend the 60-250 to 300. A little more reach would be great.
No, it's already past 3x zoom, that would just make it worse optically.

Add on a 1.4 TC if you must, but even that affects IQ and focusing to a degree.

03-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #58
Pentaxian

3x the base would make image quality suffer. Hmmm I didn't know that. Thanks clackers.
03-04-2018, 12:35 AM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

3x the base would make image quality suffer. Hmmm I didn't know that. Thanks clackers.
The upcoming DA*11-18 is going to be very good. It's not even 2x the base.

03-04-2018, 04:53 AM   #60
Pentaxian

If I have some spare dinero, I'm considering that lens crackers. The problem would be if it's kAF4. I can't use it on my k-5II.