Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
To be honest, I was a little disappointed with what I was seeing. I was expecting the K-1 II to be better in every aspect, which might not be true.
I think my post is reflecting this.

Concerning high ISO, in my opinion you were trading better contrast and color for a little bit of details.

I know its hard to judge by the sample I provided but I was not allowed to take pictures on my SD-Cards.

As I said I only got a little glimpse on the camera so lets wait for the reviews how it turns out .

Last edited by Snakeisthestuff; 03-03-2018 at 05:04 PM.
03-03-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snakeisthestuff Quote
To be honest, I was a little disappointed with what I was seeing. I was expecting the K-1 II to be better in every aspect, which might not be true.
I think my post is reflecting this.

Concerning high ISO, in my opinion you were trading better contrast and color for a little bit of details.

I know its hard to judge by the sample I provided but I was not allowed to take pictures on my SD-Cards.
Just to clarify, though, we're talking JPEGs here rather than RAW, yes?
03-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It is shot at 12800 and higher ISO. NR doesn't help on color coding, better spend the money into fast lenses.
HAHAHA what fast lenses ? by the time they will have brought out an 85mm f1.4 the k1 will be 3,5 years old, Ian
03-03-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
HAHAHA what fast lenses ?
I guess that depends on your definition of fast, and whether you include anything other than latest-release glass...

03-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Just to clarify, though, we're talking JPEGs here rather than RAW, yes?
Unfortunately I did not ask specifically but I would expect they are not showcasing JPEG performance in their top of the line professional camera, but you never know.

At least the camera output on the original K-1 was looking like raw output which I am used to.

Last edited by Snakeisthestuff; 03-03-2018 at 05:36 PM.
03-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately I did not ask specifically but I would expect they are not showcasing JPEG performance in their top of the line professional camera, but you never know.

At least the camera output on the original K-1 was looking like raw output which I am used to.
Thanks. I'm guessing these are JPEGs, because I don't see any obvious colour noise in either the K-1 or K-1II images - and by ISO 12,800, I'd expect to see it quite noticeably. Unless they're RAW, and they've done some colour noise reduction on both before displaying them - but that seems pretty unlikely.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more images once the camera is released
03-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #37

Original Poster
The point is the K-1 is already that good, because they put everything in which was available that time, so that its hard for them to improve it without an complete overhaul.

Which they obviously can not do in 2 years.

When talking to the staff I think she knews that, because she showed sympathie for me when she had to admit the limits of the new features (like mechanical shutter at dynamic pixel shift / no speed improvements for UI or video).

03-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Questions regarding improvement of AF tracking are yet to be answered. That's another tease that has appeal to a lot of us.
03-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Has K1II come up in firmware 1.0 yet?
03-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #40
maw
Pentaxian

It seems interesting but not exhaustive, a comparison on screen projected images is not very reliable, I have noticed (also you?), at the top there is a Japanese inscription that seems to say (noise ノイズ and what else?) OFF?
03-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
In terms of a comparison between the K1 and the K1mkII, I do wish that thew would provide a few comparisons at base and low ISOs. 100 through 1600 which would be of greatest interest for me.
  • How much improvement in the retention in detail?
  • How much improvement in noise reduction?
  • How much improvement in the reproduction of colors and rich gradations?
  • How much improvement in dynamic range?
Please knock my socks off.....

Ricoh has an ISO comparison here.
03-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #42

Original Poster
Someone started an interesting discussion over at dpreview about RAW noise reduction on Pentax cameras:

Interesting read on the KP review comment, hints to what I saw at the K-1 II.

Pentax noise reduction: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Ricoh has an ISO comparison here.
I saw that several days ago, a bit after they made the mkII announcement. It's a good initial step, but they really need to do a bit more in this regard. Thanks!!

03-04-2018, 02:52 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I saw that several days ago, a bit after they made the mkII announcement. It's a good initial step, but they really need to do a bit more in this regard. Thanks!!
Less noise is easy to sell by showing the effect on 100% crops side by side. But the real question is whether noise reduction effectively improves image quality as perceived by the human eye, for example when viewing a large print.
03-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #45

Original Poster

Judging from the answers of the pentax interview it was confirmed that all the changes of the image data are made before the regulat picture pipeline on the very raw data.

Hope Adam has the opportunity to do some Astrotracer tests for example at ISO 1600 and compare the raw files if there are some stars eaten or not.