Pentaxian

I'm glad you like the KP.
The sound might be the SR.

03-06-2018, 04:22 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No one understands how small Pentax is
Isn't that a problem on many of the threads on the forum? The continual demands for improved this and that seem to ignore this fact in some sort of belief that Pentax can compete with 'the big boys'
03-06-2018, 04:56 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
What they should absolutely add in the next APS-C top body though, is a 100% zoom setting on the display for quickly checking proper focus.
This is the Quick Zoom setting - you can set the initial magnification level to 100% when reviewing images. Customization: Playback menu 1
03-06-2018, 05:05 AM   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Isn't that a problem on many of the threads on the forum? The continual demands for improved this and that seem to ignore this fact in some sort of belief that Pentax can compete with 'the big boys'
There's this guy on the other forum, who started a thread yelling: "Pentax, DO THIS!!!". Highly motivating
Next we find out he's not actually interested in buying, but "concerned about Pentax' future". Yeah, right. He was requesting a drastic change in strategy, but wouldn't put his money where his mouth is.

We're Pentax' worst enemies.

03-06-2018, 05:16 AM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There's this guy on the other forum, who started a thread yelling: "Pentax, DO THIS!!!". Highly motivating
Next we find out he's not actually interested in buying, but "concerned about Pentax' future". Yeah, right. He was requesting a drastic change in strategy, but wouldn't put his money where his mouth is.

Congratulations to Kunzite for hitting 10,000 posts.
I have nothing to contribute to this thread except that I look forward to seeing what the new APSC "flagship" can do. Further development of their accelerator chip maybe? The camera's lead time means it has the chance to be something much greater than just being an update of the K-3ii.
03-06-2018, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #201
Pentaxian

Thank you

I'm very curious about it myself... but I'm afraid we won't find out such details until right before the official announcement. Whenever that would be.
03-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
This is the Quick Zoom setting - you can set the initial magnification level to 100% when reviewing images. Customization: Playback menu 1
Thanks! Still learning the KP, I found the quick zoom feature.
There is 2x up tp 16x, which of these settings, if any, is exact 100% zoom.
On the K3, you could also go up 2x 4x etc. but there would be a special 100% setting, at which the displayed image would appear to "pop into focus", making it easy to judge critical sharpness.
I seem to be missing such a setting. As I remember, it was close to 8x but a little further zoomed in.

---------- Post added 03-06-18 at 02:39 PM ----------

I'm glad you like the KP.
The sound might be the SR.
Thanks, it is a real relief to have the stability of the KP, no lock-ups, no mirror flapping, no unresponsive spells. It is truly delightfully stable.
AF is indeed faster and more responsive with the DA560, less hunting also.
Of course, still not hunt-free, but for that you may also blame the relatively slow max. aperture of the lens f5.6.
A f4 lens would no doubt be more surefire.
All in all, S-AF with the KP+DA560 is pretty good, other than with fast moving objects, that is still a no go.

You may well be right about the SR producing the sound, it is logical. SR is not noticeably better than K3 with the DA560, but that's to be expected. The effectiveness of the SR is just not the same with a 560mm lens (750mm apsc) as it is with more common focal lengths. And you need 1/500 to freeze subject movement mostly anyhow, at which a steady arm is more important than the SR.

EDIT: it is not the SR. I tested with SR off, and the sound is identical. It seems the KP is keeping the AF in some way active for about a second or so after half-pressing the shutter button. AF works great on this little body.

Last edited by Chris Mak; 03-06-2018 at 08:04 AM.
03-06-2018, 06:39 AM   #203
bxf
Veteran Member

I'd say we've been using the term flagship instead of the more appropriate (in the current context) top-of-the-line, AND let's not forget we've been talking APS-C, which means the K-1 is not a factor here.
03-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
people are holding on to their ILCs longer and only upgrading every couple of generations or when their cameras wear out.
to be honest, I always did : ME Super - SFXn - Z-1 - K10D - K-3 - K-1 - the last tow only because APS-C and FF fulfil different roles, just as I ran a 67 and 67ii concurrent with the SKXn and Z-1
03-06-2018, 07:36 AM - 3 Likes   #205
Veteran Member

Some here are jokers with funky knowledge of photography, others though have real business know how and many comments from PF contributors make sense.What we often forget is that
Pentax is Japanese with a strong Japanese footprint market wise. Europeans dont necessarily wait for the same as them, nor do they have the same approach to business ; it does not mean that one side is wrong or other one is right.
03-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'd say we've been using the term flagship instead of the more appropriate (in the current context) top-of-the-line, AND let's not forget we've been talking APS-C, which means the K-1 is not a factor here.
How do you know the K-1 was not a factor? What if they decided that two cards for example would only be on their top-end DSLR?
03-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On the K3, you could also go up 2x 4x etc. but there would be a special 100% setting, at which the displayed image would appear to "pop into focus", making it easy to judge critical sharpness.
I seem to be missing such a setting. As I remember, it was close to 8x but a little further zoomed in.
I don't have a KP, just the K-3, which does have the 100% setting option - it shows as 8.3x. Can't think of a reason why they would remove that option from the KP menu?!? A firmware update candidate...
03-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
I don't have a KP, just the K-3, which does have the 100% setting option - it shows as 8.3x. Can't think of a reason why they would remove that option from the KP menu?!? A firmware update candidate...
Well yes!
Firmware update ASAP!
How could they leave that setting out?
03-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #209
Pentaxian

Well yes!
Firmware update ASAP!
How could they leave that setting out?
It seems to the same as on K70, which I believe the KP firmware is based on.
Only top of the line cameras seems to get that feature.

You just have to wait for the K3 II replacement.
03-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #210
Pentaxian

I for one am glad that the K-3 line will continue. Hopefully it comes with an all-new AF module that has better AF confirmation & better tracking performance. I had given myself until November of 2018 to wait to wee what happened, but now I'm gonna wait for it with hopes of it coming out at least by November of 2019. It would be great if we got some more fast focusing lenses as well, whether they are new designs or old lenses that have been updated with new AF motors.

As for now, my K-50 bodies will suffice. I'll keep on chugging along with them.