Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 04:50 AM   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Yes, swings and roundabouts. But smaller formats often do have advantages when it comes to travel especially here in Europe where airlines impose more and more restrictive carry-on rules. Or for longer trips say to India or the Far East where you want to keep things light, maybe with a backpack rather than suitcases/grips et al, and not too scary in terms or carrying around $$$ worth of top-end FF lenses. Etc.
On my last trip to china, I took my oly with me instead of K-1. Mostly it was okay, but for couple of shots, which I really would have liked to have more DR and punch, I was out of luck. Next time(this summer) I will get my K-1 with me, even if that would mean that I have to leave something else behind. I’ll get iPad, instead of computer for example. M4/3 is good, but for my liking it does not cut it for more serious stuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think wildlife photographers tend to gravitate towards bigger sensors over time. In good light micro four thirds is going to be fine, but unfortunately the light isn't always adequate to keep the iso low, particularly not when you are shooting with a long lens that is f5.6.

I also think reach is overstated by smaller sensor folks. A 400mm lens is a 400mm lens. The question is how much additional "reach" shooting it on a 20 megapixel micro four thirds sensor would give you over shooting it on a 24 megapixel APS-C sensor -- some, but it is not the additional 50 percent that some people seem to think it gives. The same is true for full frame versus APS-C. If you are shooting with a K-1, there is no additional reach gained by shooting with a 16 megapixel APS-C camera, while a 24 megapixel APS-C sensor does give some additional reach, once again it is no where near the 1.5 additional reach that the crop factor would indicate.

I like crop cameras. They have faster frame rates, tend to be smaller, and are cheaper for what you get, but they do have their limitations too.
I have to agree, If I would crop my K-1 shot to match oly E-M5 II size, I would see not so much difference. Only difference would be size of equipment used to get the shot at firstplace. This is my honest opinion. I like M4/3 but it wont replace bigger gear. And TBH I did not buy it to replace something. I bought ut to do something that my pentax can’t do. And there is main difference. It all depends what one needs to get the job done

03-24-2018, 04:58 AM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of course. I finished my statement saying that I like crop sensors because they tend to be cheaper, smaller, and have very nice specs. I just get a little aggravated when someone mounts a 400mm lens on a micro four thirds camera and then claims they have an 800mm lens. No, they have a 400mm lens on a smaller sensor. That's fine, but not exactly the same as having, an 800mm lens and a D810.
The equivalence debate: stay away, it will drive you mad! That customer, so far as they are concerned, now has an 800mm reach on their camera, plus or minus to allow for focus breathing etc. That’s why they bought the lens at a 1.5x or 2x factor and so far as we know they are probably very happy with their choice. The rest is talking theory when it’s the practical results, the images, which really matter. Almost no one would be able to tell the difference just by looking at the image. The DOF would be incredibly thin all all cases. All imho, obv.

Last edited by mecrox; 03-24-2018 at 05:27 AM.
03-24-2018, 05:44 AM   #348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
(...)

So we're talking about a new camera, but still a traditional Pentax. Something beyond a minor update of the K-3.
(...)
Exactly. With a new body style too.

K10D - K20D = same body style
K-7 - K-5 - K-5 II - K-3 - K-3 II = same body style, different from the former one.
Successor to K-3 II = new body style.
03-24-2018, 05:56 AM - 3 Likes   #349
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

K10D - K20D = same body style
K-7 - K-5 - K-5 II - K-3 - K-3 II = same body style, different from the former one.
This is what a more recent tweet from the same source (Yaotomi Twitter) says:
K-7からK-3IIの系譜が狭義では完結し、K-3IIが進化して新たなカメラが生まれてくると
The lineage of K - 7 to K - 3 II is completed in a narrow sense, and K - 3 II will evolve and a new camera be born

It certainly sounds like more than a minor update, as well it should be after all this time. Also, I think the the interviewee in the PF interview was being rather conservative when he said "started to develop". It sounds like the camera is well into development.

03-24-2018, 05:59 AM   #350
Pentaxian

I sure hope it doesn't have a function dial and a smaller top lcd. I have two dials on my K-1 I hardly use. (Only to change ISO in m-mode). All I really wanted from the K-1 was a full frame K-3 II with articulating screen (which is very useful). The first prototype shown actually didn't have the dials. Those were added later. For me they are to much.
03-24-2018, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This is what a more recent tweet from the same source (Yaotomi Twitter) says:
K-7からK-3IIの系譜が狭義では完結し、K-3IIが進化して新たなカメラが生まれてくると
The lineage of K - 7 to K - 3 II is completed in a narrow sense, and K - 3 II will evolve and a new camera be born

It certainly sounds like more than a minor update, as well it should be after all this time. Also, I think the the interviewee in the PF interview was being rather conservative when he said "started to develop". It sounds like the camera is well into development.
Thank you for this confirmation. I hadn't seen the Yaotomi tweet. My source is different; he told me he has seen prototype cameras.

If a retailer such as Yaotomi is aware of the body shape, the announcement or pre-announcement should take place in the near future.
03-24-2018, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Of course. I finished my statement saying that I like crop sensors because they tend to be cheaper, smaller, and have very nice specs. I just get a little aggravated when someone mounts a 400mm lens on a micro four thirds camera and then claims they have an 800mm lens. No, they have a 400mm lens on a smaller sensor. That's fine, but not exactly the same as having, an 800mm lens and a D810.
They have the angle of view of an 800mm lens. You don't choose lenses from their focal length but from the angle of view they provide on whatever camera you are using.

03-24-2018, 06:46 AM - 8 Likes   #353
JPT
Pentaxian

If a retailer such as Yaotomi is aware of the body shape, the announcement or pre-announcement should take place in the near future.
Yaotomi doesn't have any information about the new camera from Ricoh.

Ricoh is doing a series of events called "Why Pentax?" in big cities around Japan. The first one was today in Nagoya. Some of Yaotomi's staff, being huge Pentax fans, went to the event and posted about it on their Twitter.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/news/pentax_event2018/

The guest speaker at the Nagoya event was Kimio Tanaka, who pushed the Ricoh person present to say something about the K-3 II successor. What Yaotomi posted is what they heard as members of the audience.
03-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #354
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, JPT, for your careful, precise reporting. Attribution of sources and description of circumstance is too often omitted form such reports.
03-24-2018, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #355
Pentaxian

@Mistral75: yes, I wanted to say "new body style" (or line). Nice to see this strongly hinted by yours and JPT's sources.

Also, I think the the interviewee in the PF interview was being rather conservative when he said "started to develop". It sounds like the camera is well into development.
Yes, that was my immediate impression; after all, they said it's necessary one year ago (previous CP+ interview). And it's not like they needed a whole year just to make the K-1 II.
Besides, "started to develop" wasn't a professional, careful translation - it seems to me that Mr. Takashi Arai was, at times, struggling to find the right words (understandably so... English is atrocious, especially for a Japanese ).
03-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #356
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope not. The K-3 is so functional in its control and display layout, at least IMHO. I use the top LCD enough that I would hate to see it diminished. Articulating rear LCD along with image enhancements from the K-1ii would be welcome, but otherwise, I say don't mess with successful designs just for the sake of change. I'm definitely not a fan of the KP body design.
03-24-2018, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #357
Pentaxian

Don't worry, Pentax knows how to make a good camera body. And it won't have KP's grip system.
03-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #358
Pentaxian

We all know if they were serious photographers they'd be using at least a 6000mm on an 8x10 - none of this miniature camera nonsense .
03-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #359
Veteran Member

Good news. I think it will appear when they find "invent " a new capable AF system on par with competitors. If they did that the rest of their cameras will benefit from it such as the FF and MF.
03-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #360
Pentaxian

Yaotomi doesn't have any information about the new camera from Ricoh.

Ricoh is doing a series of events called "Why Pentax?" in big cities around Japan. The first one was today in Nagoya. Some of Yaotomi's staff, being huge Pentax fans, went to the event and posted about it on their Twitter.
PENTAX ??&?????? Why PENTAX??RICOH IMAGING

The guest speaker at the Nagoya event was Kimio Tanaka, who pushed the Ricoh person present to say something about the K-3 II successor. What Yaotomi posted is what they heard as members of the audience.
Glad to see Pentax is doing some marketing efforts. I hope they'll also do it here in the Philippines. After all they're made here in my country. Thanks again for the info.