Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 08:41 PM - 9 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Well.. they are working on K3 successor since 2013, while K3II looked like some stop-gap emergency release against D7200..

In fact they still have nothing but claims, which is horrible strategy. Apparently they are waiting until more pentaxians leave...

That K10D/K20D/K7/K5/K3 advanced APS-C camera line is more important for Pentax than KP+K1+645 combined. But it seems, that they have to touch the absolute sales bottom to recognize what old Pentax Inc. and even Hoya knew very well (and what Fuji knows also).

Hope they will manage to bring it sooner than 2019. It already is 2+ years too late.
Hmmmmm, Last time I checked the current date was the 03/03/2018 and 2019 follows 2018 so that makes the possible date less than a year away. Good grief people bitch when they think a replacement isn't coming out then they bitch when they get answers as to when it will come out. There is just no pleasing some folks!!

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 03-03-2018 at 08:52 PM.
03-03-2018, 09:00 PM - 3 Likes   #32
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
That sounds like a rewriting of history to me. I suspect the reason the K-3 successor is late is because they got a late start on it.

If only they had put the ISO and SR improvements from the KP into a K-3 body, I would have bought one. I'm ready to upgrade my K-7, and those features are important to me, but I'm not going to downgrade the body to get them. I'm not sure I have the patience to wait any longer.
I think so too. I think the DPR translation and rep response was correct initially (before they backtracked) that the KP was indeed the high end crop body. Only for the market to tell them no.. that won't do. After that they seem to have realized they would need to develop a proper K-3 II successor.

Either way.. whatever the reason.. at least it seems they are now on their way to getting something out..

I think Photokina time should be pretty interesting on the K mount front.. new lenses and news of the upcoming crop body as well as possible GR news/release.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I knew it wouldn't take long for the professional Eeyores to come out
Why is that a problem? You know complaining about 'complainers' also makes you a complainer.
03-03-2018, 09:05 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
That sounds like a rewriting of history to me. I suspect the reason the K-3 successor is late is because they got a late start on it.

If only they had put the ISO and SR improvements from the KP into a K-3 body, I would have bought one. I'm ready to upgrade my K-7, and those features are important to me, but I'm not going to downgrade the body to get them. I'm not sure I have the patience to wait any longer.
KP was never meant to be a flagship. We forced that designation onto the camera because we were impatient and wanted a flagship. It lacks even the basic flagship feature set. KP as a line of cameras is meant to be innovative, interesting and clever.

Pentax is waiting for the next generation of a major component.
03-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I guess RI is going for longer refresh cycles if they keep running so many formats with fewer resources.
Three formats, down from four. And they have more resources.

03-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Sigh of relief. A major reason I recently bought a K-70 instead of the KP was that I thought I'd hold back some funds now and spend it on the K-3ii's successor when it came out. With the sale price B&H had on the K-70 at the time it was almost half the cost of the KP. Thanks for the update Adam.
Just curious, what was the sale price on the K-70? I have one on the way now from Adorama that I paid $796 for (camera body, 18-135mm, camera bag, 3 filters, and some Corel software).
03-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the news. I'm kinda relieved as I have been waiting for the K3 II successor. But its been a long wait and still longer to wait. Oh well.
03-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
Just curious, what was the sale price on the K-70? I have one on the way now from Adorama that I paid $796 for (camera body, 18-135mm, camera bag, 3 filters, and some Corel software).
I'd say you got a good deal. I already owned the 18-135 so I bought K-70 body only for $599.00. KP was just under $1000.00 at the time.

03-03-2018, 10:09 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
KP was never meant to be a flagship.
I also remember a very firm assertion that the KP would NOT be a K3 replacement

KP as a line of cameras is meant to be innovative, interesting and clever.

Quite correct. (as usual) and it is good to have you back monochrome, but please don't injure yourself again in the news and rumors forum!

btw, I replaced my perfectly good K-5 with the KP, because it suited me and I am perfectly happy with it.
03-03-2018, 10:16 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Well.. they are working on K3 successor since 2013, while K3II looked like some stop-gap emergency release against D7200..

In fact they still have nothing but claims, which is horrible strategy. Apparently they are waiting until more pentaxians leave...

That K10D/K20D/K7/K5/K3 advanced APS-C camera line is more important for Pentax than KP+K1+645 combined. But it seems, that they have to touch the absolute sales bottom to recognize what old Pentax Inc. and even Hoya knew very well (and what Fuji knows also).

Hope they will manage to bring it sooner than 2019. It already is 2+ years too late.
8 years elapsed between Nikon d300 and d500. We haven’t waited as long as the Nikon folks had waited.
03-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #40
Closed Account

Great news, I have my money ready.
03-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We've completed our CP+ interview, but it may be another day or two before the video is ready for uploading. One of the things we asked was whether the K-1 line would essentially be the only K-mount flagship, or if they planned to have a model between the K-1 and KP. They reiterated that they are working on a K-3 successor, so the KP isn't and was never meant to be the top APS-C model. However, it seems that the K-3 successor won't be able to come out as early as they had wanted.
Waiting for the interview.
03-03-2018, 10:33 PM - 2 Likes   #42
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
8 years elapsed between Nikon d300 and d500. We haven’t waited as long as the Nikon folks had waited.
'We' waited 10 years for the Full Frame.. so we have them beat!

Err correction.. the Pentax FF digital body appears to have been announced at Photokina 2000. So that would make it a 16 year wait if you were really waiting since then...

Last edited by mee; 03-03-2018 at 10:39 PM.
03-03-2018, 10:35 PM - 4 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dude.
Boriscleto'dTM
03-03-2018, 11:13 PM - 6 Likes   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I replaced my perfectly good K-5 with the KP, because it suited me and I am perfectly happy with it.
I like my KP. Brilliant idea - different - to let me adjust my camera to suit my hands rather than adjusting my hands to suit my camera. Brilliant - ground-breaking - to let me choose whether to do nothing, upgrade my K-1 or buy the K-1ll.

Pentax is doing some interesting, disruptive things. It feels like Ricoh is strengthening the brand identity as different and innovative at the edges. The recent commentary on the K-1 Special Site sounds like they’re rethinking the entire product process, targeting an intercept with future tech in a few years. Since they can’t ‘catch up’ (the entrenched players are a moving target) they’re going to leapfrog.

Of course many people will complain because they don’t understand.

Should be a lot of fun to watch and experience.
03-03-2018, 11:24 PM - 4 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

Just my thoughts. I think the KP was to answer the clamour for a retro camera. I'm glad they're giving life to the k-3 series. The way I'm using my cameras, I think I won't be ready for the k-3III. Maybe I'll be ready for the k-3IV. ��