Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 685 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2018, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #436
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yes that does makes sense, but once you develop it, it's just easy to put in all models.

Even stranger then Pentax not offering this is that Nikon and Canon don't offer 4G Internet connection on their top models D5 and 1Dx. Those people would like to transfer images to their agency. Camera's are made by very slow moving company's.

I can buy a 4G tablet that goes on Internet with a simcard and a mobileplan for 199 euro, but a 5.999 euro camera doesn't.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 Wifi + 4G Zwart - Coolblue
That's probably because 4G would suck in this application. Typical 4G upload speeds would mean transfer times of about 1 minute per image. I'd think that most pros take more than 60 shots per hour (especially with a machine gunning pro camera).

The bandwidth needs for pro applications require either decent WiFi or ethernet.

04-24-2018, 08:33 AM - 2 Likes   #437

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
courses for horses hey
I wouldn't mind if they took video out all together, leave in live view only, and concentrated on a brilliant stills camera.
IMO 4K video is important for the sake of the survival of Pentax as a brand. No truly new enthusiast APS-C DSLR (or mirrorless) can be released today without it and be competitive. It doesn't matter if only a fraction of users actually need it or end up using it after they buy.
04-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #438
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lew Dite Quote
IMO 4K video is important for the sake of the survival of Pentax as a brand. No truly new enthusiast APS-C DSLR (or mirrorless) can be released today without it and be competitive. It doesn't matter if only a fraction of users actually need it or end up using it after they buy.
I need penetration of market numbers for 4K tv before I can accept a claim like that please. I suspect that most folks have a 1080P tv and monitor.
04-24-2018, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #439

4K TV sales growing, with 20% U.S. market share in sight (early 2017)
https://www.grandviewresearch.com/press-release/global-4k-tv-market (projections as of June 2017)

But as I said it's not about how many people actually need it or could use it. Rather, it's about checking off a box on a spec sheet, especially to reviewers who will, mark my words, mercilessly slam a new camera today that is missing it. Heck, it's even expected (and usually delivered) in smarlphones today.

Re "accepting a claim," I offered an opinion. As such acceptance is not necessary.

04-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #440
Veteran Member

One advantage of brand loyalty (it's too much trouble to change) is that none of this 'what will they bring out' is relevant. If I decide to change cameras it will be a Pentax no matter what gadgetry it has or hasn't got.
04-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #441

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I need penetration of market numbers for 4K tv before I can accept a claim like that please. I suspect that most folks have a 1080P tv and monitor.
Yes, this is now considered a "price of entry" feature, whether most people would use it or not.

"WitsView expects the market share of high-resolution (4K or higher) products to reach 42.8% in 2018, up from 37.1% at the end of last year, adding that more than 95% of the 55” or above products use 4K resolution." (emphasis is mine) 4KTVs build market presence as global LCD TV shipments fall to three-year low | 4K/UltraHD | News | Rapid TV News

It's what people are buying. If I am buying a camera right now that I want to use for video, I would absolutely want it to be able to produce great video on the TVs that are being sold right now, even though I only have a 1080p set in my living room at the moment. (My next set will be 4K for sure)
04-24-2018, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #442
Pentaxian

People are buying what marketing and Cambridge analytica tell them to buy

---------- Post added 24-04-18 at 12:53 ----------

But pentaxians are different people.

04-24-2018, 03:01 PM - 3 Likes   #443
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
People are buying what marketing and Cambridge analytica tell them to buy [COLOR="Silver"]
Not I, said Racer.

I decide what I want then find the item that most closely meets my needs.

My K5IIs has video.

I used it once just to check it out.

Only once.
04-24-2018, 03:05 PM   #444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
One advantage of brand loyalty (it's too much trouble to change) is that none of this 'what will they bring out' is relevant. If I decide to change cameras it will be a Pentax no matter what gadgetry it has or hasn't got.
certainly makes life simpler - and hey! you can still take great images with none of the gear worry
04-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #445
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Even stranger then Pentax not offering this is that Nikon and Canon don't offer 4G Internet connection on their top models D5 and 1Dx. Those people would like to transfer images to their agency. Camera's are made by very slow moving company's.
At big events like NFL games and the Olympics, what agencies aim for is tethered shooting and ethernet, not cellphone transfer speeds.

https://gizmodo.com/the-inside-story-of-how-olympic-photographers-capture-s-1521746623

04-24-2018, 03:34 PM - 3 Likes   #446
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lew Dite Quote
this 4K thing is useless without the capability to display it, I don't know anyone with a 4K screen, It would be nice to have, but one that does IPS or VA, 4K, adobe rgb and what ever else that is needed are very high in price, the reason I buy a DSLR from Pentax is for stills photography, take all this gps, wireless, 4K video rubbish out and have them produce a brilliant stills camera, that is the ticket.
I still say, need video? Buy a video camera
04-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #447
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the reasons I bought a 4k TV is because it makes slideshows look worlds better than 1080, especially portrait-oriented shots.

And I expect market penetration of 4k TVs is higher than average among people who are willing and able to spend several thousand dollars on camera gear.

That said, even though my iThing does 4k, I’ve never shown its output on the TV... but I’ve done lots of slideshows... and even shots from the K10 look better...

-Eric
04-24-2018, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #448
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Not I, said Racer.

I decide what I want then find the item that most closely meets my needs.

My K5IIs has video.

I used it once just to check it out.

Only once.
I do wonder what percentage of people who own an SLR or MILC actually use them to capture significant amounts of video. It doesn't mean that Pentax shouldn't include 4K video, but if most people aren't actually using it then it really doesn't matter how good it is to most of the people using it. As someone else said, it is mostly a box to check.

I have captured random clips with my Pentax cameras, but it isn't as easy as with a camcorder and most people I know, even those who own mirrorless ILCs seem to prefer to use camcorders if they are capturing significant amounts of video. I guess ergonomics and controls are better.
04-24-2018, 05:00 PM - 3 Likes   #449
Veteran Member

The issue with 4K TV is how much bandwidth is required to feed it. I live rurally and even though I pay way too much for internet, 12 meg down and 1 up, I can't possibly go to 25 or 50 down unless I want to spent nearly half a car payment per month on it. Broadcast even now that the local channels are all digital is only 1080i at most so your 4k TV has to upscale and induce its own interpretation of the scene. And who really wants to see your favorite TV personalities pores and nose hairs? Really, it is bad enough in1080i!
4K just to display my own images like Normhead has set up? That I can agree with, but I don't buy into I need 4K video on my camera, the trade offs have been detailed here by some very smart folks and I am not willing to trade my still picture IQ and high ISO capabilities for a noisy sensor that does better video. Hard Pass.

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 04-24-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling
04-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do wonder what percentage of people who own an SLR or MILC actually use them to capture significant amounts of video. It doesn't mean that Pentax shouldn't include 4K video, but if most people aren't actually using it then it really doesn't matter how good it is to most of the people using it. As someone else said, it is mostly a box to check.

I have captured random clips with my Pentax cameras, but it isn't as easy as with a camcorder and most people I know, even those who own mirrorless ILCs seem to prefer to use camcorders if they are capturing significant amounts of video. I guess ergonomics and controls are better.
I use my K-01 for video all the time. Like all cameras it is limited to the amount of video it will capture at a time, because cameras and video recorders are covered by different import controls and tariffs - no camera maker will allow their camera to be classified as a video recorder.

---------- Post added 04-24-18 at 07:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
One of the reasons I bought a 4k TV is because it makes slideshows look worlds better than 1080, especially portrait-oriented shots.

And I expect market penetration of 4k TVs is higher than average among people who are willing and able to spend several thousand dollars on camera gear.

That said, even though my iThing does 4k, I’ve never shown its output on the TV... but I’ve done lots of slideshows... and even shots from the K10 look better...

-Eric
I found that my new 65" 4K TV displays 1080 blu-rays much better than my old 42" 1080p TV did. I'm not sure if it's the extra resolution, a better panel, or a higher frame rate, but the difference is significant.

I spent less on it than I would have spent on a new KP.