Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 05:14 AM - 2 Likes   #316
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
Japan's Ricoh to cut 4,000 jobs at home, Europe - Nikkei

Japan's Ricoh to cut 4,000 jobs at home, Europe - Nikkei By Reuters
It seems like the rep I talked to was right.
With respect, I think you're putting way too much faith in the comments from one Ricoh Healthcare rep, and that's generating a negative rumour... perhaps unintentionally on your part, but it's a text-book example of how such unfounded rumours begin.

The cuts mentioned in that article are for the "struggling, core office-equipment business", with no reference to a reduction of investment in the imaging business. Of course, I'm sure no area of Ricoh is immune from cost saving measures, Imaging included, but we've seen nothing to suggest job losses in that area. You can be sure there will be dependable coverage from Reuters, Associated Press etc. if that happens - far more reliable information than the comments of one employee from a largely unrelated division.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-23-2018 at 06:28 AM.
03-23-2018, 05:44 AM - 2 Likes   #317
Pentaxian

Japan's Ricoh to cut 4,000 jobs at home, Europe - Nikkei

Japan's Ricoh to cut 4,000 jobs at home, Europe - Nikkei By Reuters
It seems like the rep I talked to was right.
It's hard to say since you wrote the following:
I was at healthcare IT conference two weeks ago and stopped by the Ricoh booth. I was told that they are focusing more on shifting from camera and photocopy business into healthcare. They will continue to support the brand, but no intention of major changes at the level of competitors.
whilst the only reference to investments in the Nikkei article pertains to "acquisitions of commercial and industrial printing companies", not to healthcare businesses:
QuoteOriginally posted by Nikkei by Reuters:
Ricoh will also set aside 200 billion yen for acquisitions of commercial and industrial printing companies as it looks to move away from office printing, according to the report.
03-23-2018, 06:17 AM - 5 Likes   #318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Over the past 30+ years RIcoh Corp. has grown primarily by acquiring distressed companies with recognized brands in its core businesses, strategically consolidating the patents, technology, facilities and distribution systems into its existing business structure, and then tactically managing future costs by reducing impaired and disused capital assets and headcount. This action is not only not unusual, it is absolutely a normal action in Ricoh’s business process.

The recent writedown and transfer to B2B automotive of the defunct compact camera facility, taken in this context, should be seen as a positive action. It removes an albatross from Ricoh Imaging’s balance sheet. As I wrote upthread, the Rep had heard a story, not in context, that had nothing to do with the future of Imaging.
03-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #319
Veteran Member

If you follow my earlier post about my conversation with their rep few weeks back at Himss2018 in Las Vegas, it confirms what she said. One of the main sources of Ricoh's revenue is their photocopy section which is not doing well. Like many other firms, Ricoh is focusing its resources on health care. This will definitely impact their Pentax camera business strategy. As a health IT informatician, I can see why Ricoh would do that. I also have to disagree with some of the comments here. If you ever work in a large organization and attend high level meeting, whenever they discuss about their fiscal budget, eventhough they don't know the budget detail about other division of that organization, but they know what the overall vision of the institution is and how much budget is allocated to each section. Pentax will continue to be in the game but it may not develop product as quickly as we would want it to be.

03-23-2018, 08:06 AM - 2 Likes   #320
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Like many other firms, Ricoh is focusing its resources on health care. This will definitely impact their Pentax camera business strategy.
The focus on healthcare, bio and industrial imaging & printing isn't news, though - that was reported on early last year (around March or April, I think), and the impact to the imaging business was that compact camera resources were redirected to industrial and automotive imaging solutions.

The "information" given to you by the Ricoh Healthcare rep and that you shared here doesn't seem to be anything more than regurgitation of those strategic announcements and changes that have already taken place, and were public knowledge (no need to attend senior level meetings for that). I don't see any evidence that there will be further significant impact on the digital photography business. I'm not saying it won't or couldn't happen, but nothing you've relayed from the healthcare rep indicates that.

We believe what we choose to. I'm not one to entertain hearsay or rumours unless there's evidence to back them up, hence my reticence with this one.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-23-2018 at 08:25 AM.
03-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #321
Veteran Member

.. so initially, some folks said the healthcare rep wasn't right, then some other said, healthcare section has nothing to do with imaging section, now some folks claim this is not new. I merely posted what I was told and looking at how the company operates, it makes sense that Ricoh isn't as excited about their Pentax lineup development as some of us would have liked them to. If this isn't something new as "monochrome" says, then it makes perfect sense why Pentax production line has been quite slow compared to other competitors over the past few years. I own many Pentax equipment ( as you can see in my signature line ) and I would love for the company to grow, so I'll purchase more of what I need. It's very childish for some of the folks here to bluntly attack another member just because they have a poor understanding of the business operation, design, and marketing or simply are in disagreement. Everyone is entitled to their opinion , but please stay professional in your response. I simply shared what I was told. If it doesn't make sense to you, "Kunzite", or anyone else, that is fine. I have been doing business over 18 years and it makes perfect sense to me why Ricoh would switch gears in order to stay in the Market, And that's we ALL want. If they lose their bigger market share, i.e. photocopy, medical equipment etc, I foresee they let go of Pentax cameras since this is probably the smallest part of their revenues.

Last edited by Pentax_WA; 03-23-2018 at 09:27 AM.
03-23-2018, 08:45 AM - 3 Likes   #322
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let's not attack people who post here, even if we differ with them on their opinions.

The problem that we run into with any discussion of Ricoh as a whole is that Pentax is such a tiny part of the company that I doubt that there is much information shared with anyone about plans for that segment of the company. It just shows up in the fiscal reports as "Other" and isn't broken down as to any details.

What we know about Ricoh and Pentax is that (a) they are continuing to produce SLRs and lenses for SLRs (b) they aren't particularly interested in "investing" money in the camera division and so it is more a pay as you go situations (c) they are committed to bringing out a K3 II sequel eventually (that is actually what this thread is about).

03-23-2018, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #323
Pentaxian

The problem here is the wild conclusion - based on absolutely nothing - that Ricoh will downsize Ricoh Imaging. That is not a "professional" opinion by any means.

The idea that Ricoh would be shifting from "camera business" is ill-informed at best - to have an idea, Ricoh Imaging is less than 10% of a business segment Ricoh calls "Other". I'd have a hard time accepting that Ricoh could switch their focus from an "Other" segment, less alone from 10% of that!
Also, saying that Ricoh is more interested in other areas than the less than 10% of "Other" is not really different than saying that the Sun will raise tomorrow morning.

The only thing that makes sense is if the healthcare business will shift its focus from healthcare imaging. Unrelated to consumer cameras. No downsizing on Pentax.
03-23-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #324
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.. so initially, some folks said the healthcare rep wasn't right, then some other said, healthcare section has nothing to do with imaging section, now some folks claim this is not new. I merely posted what I was told and looking at how the company operates, it makes sense that Ricoh isn't as excited about their Pentax lineup development as some of us would have liked them to. If this isn't something new as "monochrome" says, then it makes perfect sense why Pentax production line has been quite slow compared to other competitors over the past few years. I own many Pentax equipment ( as you can see in my signature line ) and I would love for the company to grow, so I'll purchase more of what I need. It's very childish for some of the folks here to bluntly attack another member just because they have a poor understanding of the business operation, design, and marketing or simply are in disagreement. Everyone is entitled to their opinion , but please stay professional in your response. I simply shared what I was told. If it doesn't make sense to you, "Kunzite", or anyone else, that is fine. I have been doing business over 18 years and it makes perfect sense to me why Ricoh would switch gears in order to stay in the Market, And that's we ALL want. If they lose their bigger market share, i.e. photocopy, medical equipment etc, I foresee they let go of Pentax cameras since this is probably the smallest part of their revenues.
What you foresee is not correct. There is nothing new in your “Report.”

Investment Bankers commissioned by Ricoh projected this situation four years ago. Ricoh’s business plan for Imaging today is being executed exactly as was decided at that time. Just because you want something now and Ricoh’s business plan for Imaging doesn’t satisfy your desire, that does not imply Imaging will be sold. It infers you are impressing your ‘want’ on RIcoh as if your ‘want’ is the only factor in the business decision.

You yourself said Imaging would continue, but would not receive new investment. We already know that. Ricoh is responding to market forces in its main business. Imaging is minuscule, costs nothing and isn’t worth selling. Just stop.
03-23-2018, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #325
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another good thread wandered to the point that it has to be shrouded for emotional stability. Thanks dude.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-23-2018 at 11:27 AM.
03-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #326
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope my responses didn't come across as an attack; that certainly wasn't my intention. You should absolutely expect to be treated courteously here.

That said, this is an emotive subject. You've drawn a somewhat pessimistic conclusion, if I may say, regarding the future of Ricoh's photography business - on the basis of a comment from a trade show representative working for an unrelated division of the group company. And it appears as if you've readily accepted that comment as factual inside information, without questioning or validating it (at least, that's how it comes across to me). For someone who is clearly a Pentax enthusiast, that's quite unusual.

We have a few members here that seem to revel in negative news for Ricoh, and whilst I personally don't believe you're one of them, that may in part explain some of the robust responses you've received. We see many posts espousing baseless rumours and assumptions around Ricoh / Pentax, and I can understand how that gets frustrating for members here. We know that such posts are visible publicly, and fuel for those who are critical of the brand. They can become viral, and potentially damaging if they affect someone's buying decisions. So I can understand your view, and the basis of it, generating spirited conversation and rebuttal.

But, as I said at the start, you should expect to be treated courteously

And with that, perhaps - as @Rondec implied - we should return to the continuation of the K-3 line... something to be very positive about
03-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #327
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And with that, perhaps - as @Rondec implied - we should return to the continuation of the K-3 line... something to be very positive about
Yes indeed! We need more K-3II replacement conversation.
03-23-2018, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Yes indeed! We need more K-3II replacement conversation.
Yesss ! And maybe even a Good Fist Fight !
03-23-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #329
Pentaxian

^ I'd like to shoot that fight with the K-3II replacement!
03-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax ambassadors seem pretty certain of a K3 III's appearance down the road, so unless they are deliberately lying (or have been lied to), that seems pretty certain.

As to Ricoh's plans, it seems as though the key for them is diversification and having a finger in more than one area. Certainly this could be medical imaging, but the 360 and other aspects of imaging also offer avenues for maintaining revenue, even if the copier business continues to decline.