Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2018, 12:33 AM   #421
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ricoh took more than 2 years and 4 months to go from concept to product with the K-1. If the K-3iii is a completely new camera, then I suppose it could take as long to develop. If, however, the K-3iii is more of a derivative design, based upon the K-3ii and the KP, then the development cycle may well be shorter.

Only time will tell!
The only big change they could make is mirrorless which they’ve ruled out so everything else is incremental. Improved AF, accelerator chip, hand-held PS, a superior sensor, maybe more sophisticated VF overlays. I guess touchscreen controls could be added. The rest is pretty boilerplate. Hard to see why things should take all that long. They’ve already had a year since the KP.

04-24-2018, 01:05 AM   #422
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The only big change they could make is mirrorless which they’ve ruled out so everything else is incremental. Improved AF, accelerator chip, hand-held PS, a superior sensor, maybe more sophisticated VF overlays. I guess touchscreen controls could be added. The rest is pretty boilerplate. Hard to see why things should take all that long. They’ve already had a year since the KP.
The K-1 was completely different, not only body but even prism, mirror assemble, shutter etc.
K3 successor is not comparable and will not take as much time. No way.
04-24-2018, 01:08 AM   #423
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think still a lot of people would like to post to social media directly from the camera. Run on Android so it's the same as their smartphone.

Oh wait...I just quit Facebook........
Actually, I think wi-fi connectivity, file transfer and remote control / thethering options could all be quite significantly improved and standardised across the Pentax models. And whilst I'm not personally interested in social media, integration with those platforms makes sense...
04-24-2018, 01:22 AM - 3 Likes   #424
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Afraid is not the proper word. Hint: it starts with the next letter.

Mr. Takashi Arai makes quite clear that he's talking about a proper APS-C flagship. xmeda says we won't see one, just "some KP II". Is he trying to "punish" Pentax for being late, by driving potential customers away from the brand? I don't care the reason; it's deliberate misinformation.
I think we should start using a new word. Meda: (verb) to spread unfounded fear and doubt with the apparent attempt to drive customers away from purchasing Pentax. Ex.: "There he goes medaing about Pentax again."

04-24-2018, 01:40 AM   #425
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I think we should start using a new word. Meda: (verb) to spread unfounded fear and doubt with the apparent attempt to drive customers away from purchasing Pentax. Ex.: "There he goes medaing about Pentax again."
Well, I also have to assess that the amount of angst from what the future might not bring is quite high on some. And I really can't help but understand this as a psychological condition, which I would never dare to diagnose, because I would not want to be understood as offensive. Let's call it pessimism.
04-24-2018, 02:24 AM - 3 Likes   #426
Pentaxian

FUD still works fine though....
04-24-2018, 02:46 AM   #427
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I think still a lot of people would like to post to social media directly from the camera. Run on Android so it's the same as their smartphone.

But you do post your pictures to Facebook or Twitter, courtesy of ImageSync on your phone.

04-24-2018, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #428
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Ricoh @ CP+: Rewarding K-1 fans with a major upgrade, plus what comes next after the K-3 II?

summary:

"TA: We will continue to have the flagship which
comes... Let's say it wouldn't be a straight successor of the K-3, but anyway, the flagship in the APS-C format -- even the K-series -- will come. And surely, that development or study for the development has already started. Yeah, we cannot say when, but it will come one day."

STUDY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT HAS STARTED = we have nothing.

This is the project phase 1, where you try to put together requirements for new product. Then the development begins and after 3-4 years the product might be ready.... that means 2018 + 3 = 2021 being optimistic.
That is suicide.

So lets be more realistic - as we can see how poor the improvements are in last bodies over predecessors and how poor the investments in development probably are, we can expect some KPII maybe in late 2019 with just minor improvements (Like K5-K5II, K3-K3II, K1-K1II), and with exactly the same body shell & controls layout, which would save time and keep development costs down. But that won't help Pentax to drag any new customers.. not even to keep them.

That is what I'm afraid.

Anyway they also need to prepare some K70 successor and 645Z successor.. next year is 100th Pentax anniversary... lets hope it won't be sad anniversary
As others have said, (a) Pentax isn't starting from scratch. They have existing cameras and a solid base to go from. My guess would be some tweaking on the K-1 form factor combined with a new image processor and whatever the newest APS-C sensor is from Sony. Throw in the accelerator chip and you have their next camera. 3 to 4 years to develop? Probably more like the end of this year, beginning of next year. (b) The K70 is not likely to be upgraded until there is something that Pentax sees as a real improvement from it available. The days of upgrades happening once a year or every 18 months are behind us. People make their gear last longer and upgrade when their gear wears out or they see real improvements and camera companies have to be wiser and not just churn out new cameras that have slight bumps in frame rates and megapixels. (c) The 645z will be upgraded at some point. Probably using a new sensor from Sony and stealing (sharing) tech with the K-1 II.

I am not certain why you are "afraid" in this situation. There are many things in this world to cause fear, but the slow release, but steady release of new gear from Pentax doesn't seem like a good one.
04-24-2018, 04:05 AM   #429
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I can see social media from a K-90 - less so from each step 'up the ladder' { KP, K-3, K-1}
04-24-2018, 05:08 AM   #430

A "simple" K3iii: take the K1ii, chop part of the sensor, part of the size and part of the price, increase buffer and SD write speed. Voila
It's not "revolutionary", but it's a noticeable improvement over the K3ii. Alas, they'll make us wait for something else.
Revolutionary would be a camera upgrade option, but no manufacturer would do that...
04-24-2018, 05:47 AM - 3 Likes   #431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote

So lets be more realistic - as we can see how poor the improvements are in last bodies over predecessors ...........
Yes, let's be realistic. I don't know what camera company you are talking about because the company that I know as Pentax has introduced significant improvements with every new body they have released. The K-1's Function dial + setting dial is absolute genius as is the tilty-screen, pixel shift, astrotracer, TAv mode, green button, body lights, etc. etc. And now Pentax has the accelerator chip and a hand-held version of pixel shift.

From my perspective, it's Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Fuji that are lagging badly on the camera performance dimensions that I most care about as a landscape and ambient light photographer.

The only realization here is that different brands suit different types of users and that the major improvements that Pentax has made in recent bodies aren't the kinds of improvements that you want to see.
04-24-2018, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #432
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I can see social media from a K-90 - less so from each step 'up the ladder' { KP, K-3, K-1}
Yes that does makes sense, but once you develop it, it's just easy to put in all models.

Even stranger then Pentax not offering this is that Nikon and Canon don't offer 4G Internet connection on their top models D5 and 1Dx. Those people would like to transfer images to their agency. Camera's are made by very slow moving company's.

I can buy a 4G tablet that goes on Internet with a simcard and a mobileplan for 199 euro, but a 5.999 euro camera doesn't.
https://www.tabletcenter.nl/product/698352/category-233361/samsung-galaxy-ta...-4g-zwart.html
04-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #433
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes that does makes sense, but once you develop it, it's just easy to put in all models.

Even stranger then Pentax not offering this is that Nikon and Canon don't offer 4G Internet connection on their top models D5 and 1Dx. Those people would like to transfer images to their agency. Camera's are made by very slow moving company's.

I can buy a 4G tablet that goes on Internet with a simcard and a mobileplan for 199 euro, but a 5.999 euro camera doesn't.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 Wifi + 4G Zwart - Coolblue
I would think that it would be entry level cameras where you would want more connectivity. Top end photographers are unlikely to want to release unedited photos for public scrutiny. I feel pretty strongly that any photo worth posting is worth editing a bit.

It is true that for family snap shots that is maybe not as important, but those aren't generally being shot with D5 or 1Dx either.
04-24-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #434
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would think that it would be entry level cameras where you would want more connectivity. Top end photographers are unlikely to want to release unedited photos for public scrutiny. I feel pretty strongly that any photo worth posting is worth editing a bit.

It is true that for family snap shots that is maybe not as important, but those aren't generally being shot with D5 or 1Dx either.
Lots of sports photographers don't do the editing themselves, but someone at the office is doing that. Sometimes that office is in India.
04-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #435
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of sports photographers don't do the editing themselves, but someone at the office is doing that. Sometimes that office is in India.
Regardless.

If you are a sports photographer and you have just shot 3500 photos at a sporting event, do you really want to figure out which ones to "upload" based on the back of your screen? The only folks I see doing that are mom and dad photographers taking photos of their kid's volleyball or basketball games and they aren't using D5s, but entry to enthusiast level cameras.