Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
I do hope that they retain the old sensor-based pixel shift for tripod mounted shots on the K-1ii. The handheld pixelshift sounds like it will be a useful addition but hopefully the tripod-based system will be retained. I haven't seen a definitive answer to whether the K-1ii will retain both although I ordered my K-1ii on the first day of the pre-order.
In the presentation, the speaker said that the existing system for tripods is still there. That is why he was talking about the cases where one would be better than the other.

This is what the selection screen looks like, with the new icon for the handheld mode (Image from Yaotomi Camera).

03-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
In the presentation, the speaker said that the existing system for tripods is still there. That is why he was talking about the cases where one would be better than the other.

This is what the selection screen looks like, with the new icon for the handheld mode (Image from Yaotomi Camera).
So we need to distinguish ‘Real Resolution’ from ‘Pixel Shift’?
03-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Wow, still no word on a K3II replacement and when the 11-18mm is coming out. Just checked- the 12-24mm, non-WR came out in 2005. Glad to hear about the Tamron connection, so the question remains - why not bring out the new model, weather-sealed 10-24mm that came out middle of last year and why not put KP technology and some other goodies - like the improved pixel shift- into a new K3III? I would have already put money aside for both by now...
03-04-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Wow, still no word on a K3II replacement and when the 11-18mm is coming out. Just checked- the 12-24mm, non-WR came out in 2005. Glad to hear about the Tamron connection, so the question remains - why not bring out the new model, weather-sealed 10-24mm that came out middle of last year and why not put KP technology and some other goodies - like the improved pixel shift- into a new K3III? I would have already put money aside for both by now...
No connections proven and the interview that Adam did with Pentax is going up soon, and per his post, will address the K3II replacement. When you are the little guy in camera manufacturing, things happen at a slightly slower pace. Read more than one thread before you yell about "why haven't they done this or that" on one thread.

03-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
No connections proven and the interview that Adam did with Pentax is going up soon, and per his post, will address the K3II replacement. When you are the little guy in camera manufacturing, things happen at a slightly slower pace. Read more than one thread before you yell about "why haven't they done this or that" on one thread.
...I believe it is common knowledge that the 15-30mm and 24-70mm are sourced from Tamron and Adam says he thinks the new 50mm is likely also a Tamron manufactured design as well. Makes complete economic sense, since Tamron is a very good, large, and consistent manufacturer and Ricoh/Pentax has little resources for their own designs, proven by the fact that they still have yet to replace the 2005 design of the 12-24mm aps-c zoom and probably lost/alienated a whole bunch of landscape photographers in the process... (no good having great weather-sealed cameras, when you have no great and weather-sealed ultra-wide zoom lenses or primes to pair up to them!)
03-04-2018, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No. Adam does not say that.
Please quote him if he did.

If there's a collaboration (and that's an IF), it will be Pentax licensing their 50mm design to Tokina. Nothing else.
03-04-2018, 10:07 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
...I believe it is common knowledge that the 15-30mm and 24-70mm are sourced from Tamron and Adam says he thinks the new 50mm is likely also a Tamron manufactured design as well. Makes complete economic sense, since Tamron is a very good, large, and consistent manufacturer and Ricoh/Pentax has little resources for their own designs, proven by the fact that they still have yet to replace the 2005 design of the 12-24mm aps-c zoom and probably lost/alienated a whole bunch of landscape photographers in the process... (no good having great weather-sealed cameras, when you have no great and weather-sealed ultra-wide zoom lenses or primes to pair up to them!)
Adam says no such thing. The D FA*50/1.4 is, and always has been, a 100% exclusive, Pentax-patented design. It is their reference lens.

A new APSc flagship camera is planned and scheduled - just not officially announced yet.

Begone.

03-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks JPT, it was very interesting read (not only on Ricoh/Pentax, but also other brands).
03-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are the handheld pixel shift images jpeg? there was a mention of pulling one image out if it failed; how so? with an Olympus they are more readily available but IIRC on a Pentax you have to extract them from one DNG.
03-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Are the handheld pixel shift images jpeg? there was a mention of pulling one image out if it failed; how so? with an Olympus they are more readily available but IIRC on a Pentax you have to extract them from one DNG.
If I understand correctly* a Real Resolution Image is a single jpeg file created in camera from 4 RAWs. If you don’t like the Real Resolution Image you can pull one of the RAW files and pp a jpeg yourself.

* My understanding at this time but I guess we won’t know for certain until details are released.

In the new Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution mode,** which can be used during handheld shooting, this system can be used jointly with the camera's shake-reduction mechanism, since it synthesizes the captured super-high-resolution images by detecting the slight fluctuations of the subject's position during continuous shooting. The camera also provides ON/OFF switching of the Motion Correction function, which detects moving elements of the continuously captured images to minimize the effect of movement during the image synthesizing process.***

** “The captured images may not be properly synthesized with certain subjects or under certain conditions. By capturing images in the RAW or RAW+ format, the user can process the images unsuitable for the synthesizing process as normal RAW-format images within the camera body. The images may not be properly synthesized in a composite image.”

Last edited by monochrome; 03-04-2018 at 06:16 PM.
03-04-2018, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No. Adam does not say that.
Please quote him if he did.

If there's a collaboration (and that's an IF), it will be Pentax licensing their 50mm design to Tokina. Nothing else.
Well they could theoretically be manufacturing the opera 50, or at least the optical components. It would certainly be cost effective. Of course there is no official word on the Tokina collaboration, let alone if the lenses share the same optical designs.
03-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Well they could theoretically be manufacturing the opera 50, or at least the optical components. It would certainly be cost effective. Of course there is no official word on the Tokina collaboration, let alone if the lenses share the same optical designs.
Indeed. Why perpetuate a speculative rumor then?
03-04-2018, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Indeed. Why perpetuate a speculative rumor then?
It's educated guess based on the knowledge shared by asahiman combined with my undestanding manufacturing productivity measures. If you are sharing the same optical design its more productive if only one company manufactures the common components. Asahiman has indeed confirmed they are the same optical formulas now, and the lenses will be assembled/made by each company.
03-04-2018, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
It's educated guess based on the knowledge shared by asahiman combined with my undestanding manufacturing productivity measures. If you are sharing the same optical design its more productive if only one company manufactures the common components. Asahiman has indeed confirmed they are the same optical formulas now, and the lenses will be assembled/made by each company.
There would be some logic it was about Tokina. But mtgmansf posted about the 50mm and Tamron. There's no link whatsoever.
Even about the Tokina/Pentax relation which is, yes, different than with Tamron: AFAIK they always produced their lenses in their own factories but shared the blue print. Nothing else.

Previous collaboration:
Tokina licenced their 12-24 to Pentax.
Pentax licensed: 100/2.8 macro, 35/2.8 macro, 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8 to Tokina (maybe I forgot one but don't think so).

But they separately built everything. Even motors were different.

The current collaboration may include some patens sharing about focus motors.
Dunno if Tokina already had ring type motors ?
03-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Tokina had a ring-type motor in the 70-200 f/4. That doesn't mean Pentax took it from them.