Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 196 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #31
Pentaxian

The D FA zooms aren't compatible with many film SLRs. Actually only 2 D FA lenses are: the original macros.

03-07-2018, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-5 II owner here and I've got no heartburn over KAF4 lenses not working on my body. Sometimes these things just have to happen.

This maybe sounds silly but I hope some of the focal lengths are actually "interesting" and not just "these are the industry standard focal lengths like everyone else offers". Something between 22mm and 25mm and then something wider than 20mm but I've banged that gong before.
03-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
This maybe sounds silly but I hope some of the focal lengths are actually "interesting" and not just "these are the industry standard focal lengths like everyone else offers". Something between 22mm and 25mm and then something wider than 20mm but I've banged that gong before.
As have I! I'd love, for example, a 19mm f/2.6 (hey, it's Pentax so it's gotta be weird) D-FA Limited prime. I'd be all over that like cheese on a pizza.

And if they can get new coatings, weather seals, and a focus motor into small metal lenses that resemble the old FA limiteds, I'm sure it won't totally obliterate their character -- if they do it right. I'm one of the (possibly few?) people who enjoys and prefers working with a lens's idiosyncracies and visible characteristics, rather than around them.

Actually, there can't be too few of us since LensBaby is still around.
03-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #34
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope we live till 2021-2022 when new limiteds appear...

03-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The current FA Limited primes are fully compatible with film bodies, so removing the screw-drive and mechanical aperture (that's what KAF4 means) would break with this tradition.
[/url]
I wouldn't mind if they remove screwdrive from the next limiteds.

Still, I would be a little disapointed if they made it KAF4 only.

But If that brings better lenses that respect the philosophy of the Limiteds and attract manny more new customers to Pentax brand, I couldn't care less
03-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #36
Pentaxian

They must give up on screw drive AF in their lenses (not bodies, of course).
KAF4 is the superior solution; and 2 years for now, the K-5 II would be 8 years old.
03-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
a FF 15ltd and 21ltd would go a long way to making a lot of people happy... would certainly make waiting for the wa dfa* easier!

03-07-2018, 09:37 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

A D FA limited would no more need to be compatible with a film camera than is the DA limited. Unless they came out with a compact DA 150 limited with a 49mm filter size I have all the Limiteds I am ever going to have however if I owned the K1, limiteds wider than the 31 are needed. Compact quality lenses around say 17 and 25 and updating the 3 existing ones would provide Pentax shooters with something unique and good.

But if they are expanding the line what will you buyers call them as there will be more than the 3 amigoes and with not knowing just how many, the battle on this forum for a new name will be quite intense.
03-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Their last film camera was launched in 2003. It's time to stop being stuck to the distant past.
The FA Limiteds were designed for a style which was current back then, and to work with cameras that were current models. Today, as monochrome noted, such lenses won't see much praise.
The Limiteds still deserve praise in spite if their age.
According to Pentax future Limiteds will still apply that "pixie dust" and thereby differ somewhat from the * lenses
03-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The Limiteds still deserve praise in spite if their age.
According to Pentax future Limiteds will still apply that "pixie dust" and thereby differ somewhat from the * lenses
The idea of new D FA Limiteds with pixies inside (what’s their stock of pixies?) is intriguing. But what happens to the Three Princesses?
03-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #41
Pentaxian

The fact that they're still appreciated in this age is testament to their (not always measurable) qualities. But, how many are still praising them? Compare that with the Sigma Art...
The new Limiteds will have to combine the "pixie dust" with current measurable qualities expectations. Low resolution in the corners and high levels of CA is not acceptable, for a 2020 design.
This is entirely within Pentax/Ricoh Imaging's abilities; the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 promises do excel in both regards.
03-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Wouldn't those Tamron be in direct conflict/redundancy to current FA Limited?
No. The existing lenses would go away and Pentax versions of the Tamron lenses would be available.... See D-FA 24-70mm and the D-FA 15-30mm.

Tamron is making some great glass. Take a look at the Zeiss Batis lenses. The Tamron 15-30mm F/2.8 is better than the Nikon 15-30mm.

Ricoh obviously has very limited (no pun intended) resources. It appears they are partnering with Tamron and Tokina for lenses. People really shouldn't care who makes the lens as long as it meets quality expectations.
03-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #43

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adjutant Quote
ive daydreamed about such a lens, though a 3x zoom 40-120
Hehe...I think a 3X will be too big to be a limited, however. (At least without resorting to small apertures)
I'll love a 70-140 F3.2
03-07-2018, 10:06 AM - 3 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

Sooo... do we start the "D FA Limiteds are Tokina/Tamron/Sigma" now? We're bored already with the D FA*s?
03-07-2018, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

I am looking at the roadmap from the release days of K1 - none of the lenses listed for 2017 or later has been released yet. The D-FA 50 is close,, but not here yet, no specs, no price, no date.
I like what I see on Pentax road maps, but it would be nice if lenses could materialize. Otherwise stop road mapping.