Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Nah, my shelf carries too much dead weight as it is

But seriously, no. Big lenses kill the joy of photography for me. That does not mean I'm opposed to Ricoh making bazookas - I don't belong to the "not for me so not for anybody" church
Hey, you know what I'd like to do? Rent a bazooka for a week. I don't want to own one, they cost too much, but I'd love to just have to one to see what I can do with it.

03-08-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey, you know what I'd like to do? Rent a bazooka for a week. I don't want to own one, they cost too much, but I'd love to just have to one to see what I can do with it.
Would love to see what you could do with the DA560, Norm, no mucking around with TCs, etc.

Let's crowdfund!

03-08-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #78
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Would love to see what you could do with the DA560, Norm, no mucking around with TCs, etc.

Let's crowdfund!

Well, I wouldn't mind trying the 560 or 150-450. They are bazookas because physics demand it, not just to please those shooting test charts
03-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #79

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
See how big the new D-FA* 50mm F/1.4 is compared top the current FA 50mm F/1.4. If Ricoh is going to build glass that can take advantage of future 70-100MP sensors they are going to be bigger. The Tamron SP line of primes are very much in the mold of the Limited glass. Pentax users would be happy to have them as an option.

Tamron's core business is building OEM lenses for Nikon and Canon..... and the Pentax D FA 24-70mm F/2.8 & D-FA 15-30mm F/2.8. Both great lenses. Tamron also makes the Zeiss Batis line of lenses for the Sony E-mount system. The 135mm F/2.8 APO Batis is a really good lens.
How about a 16-35 F/4 zoom like the big boys all have.

03-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #80
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k2parn Quote
There's already the 20-40 f2.8-4 Limited for APS-C owners, K2.

Works on FF from 24mm up, too, apparently!
03-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k2parn Quote
It comes down to how many me-too lenses would K-mount users buy just because it’s a Limited.

.:
03-08-2018, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edge-to-edge sharpness is great for taking photos of two-dimensional objects. There's a place for that, of course, even outside of lens test charts. What is sacrificed, it seems is light weight and compactness, especially with large apertures. At some stage, even the testers are going to realise that many real pictures don't need those qualities in every lens, and start looking for the ones that the FA and DA Limiteds provide. It's probably inevitable that their views will change with age and decreased ability to tote bags full of heavy glass, as mine have. Nonetheless, the DA35 Limited Macro, while it doesn't have in-lens AF (and it would be better for it, if it reduces hunting) shows you actually can have edge-to-edge sharpness with compactness and light weight. All you have to do sacrifice bragging rights at the pub about how big your front element is.

I do have an A50/1.2, by the way, and I realise its limitations fully-open, but I hate to think how much bigger and heavier its modern DFA* equivalent would be.

03-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The DA35 Limited Macro, while it doesn't have in-lens AF (and it would be better for it, if it reduces hunting) shows you actually can have edge-to-edge sharpness with compactness and light weight.
With a firmware integrated and camera controlled focus limiter like the Olympus OM-D series cameras have, AF-speed of screwdrive lenses would increase. All FA and later lenses do send the distance informations to the camera, so it would be possible to offer this feature.
Re: E-M1 MkII - "soft" focus limiter - not limited!: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
High-speed Performance E-M1 Mark II | OM-D | Olympus
AF Limiter - focus range limiter [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]
03-08-2018, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Why KAF4?
There are others who still use pre-K-3 models. What would be the advantage of internal motors? It makes the lens more expensive and bigger. Wouldn't make new FA Limiteds as cheap as they are now.
When your gear is already complete, maybe others like to use AF on film cameras.
Don't get me wrong - I'd love for all lenses to be fully compatible with the cameras still in use. I wish the DA limiteds that I have that can cover a FF image circle (the 40mm and 70mm) had aperture rings so that I could use them on MF film cameras, but technology has to move forward and small incompatibilities will creep in because of that. The alternative is for Pentax to slowly but surely get stuck in the past with old tech and, though that won't bother many people who've used the brand for years, I suspect it would put off potential newcomers, and I know it wouldn't go down well with reviewers.

That's why I think upgraded FA limiteds would go down well, especially if the optics were tweaked to get rid of the fringing etc.
03-09-2018, 12:55 AM - 2 Likes   #85
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would love any new DFA Limiteds to mirror the aesthetics of the FA Limiteds - both physically and optically. Compact, pretty, designed for pleasing rendering rather than test chart domination.

Like others have said, I would buy a compact, flare resistant DFA20ish Limited pretty much off the plan. If modern tastes demand WR and silent focus, the DA20-40 has already shown it's possible while maintaining the Limited ethos.

The DFA* series can (and will) go all out for modern hero lenses. It is pretty clear the lineup needs a superlative 35/1.4 and fast 24 to go with the 50 and 85.
03-09-2018, 12:59 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The first Limited lens was released 21 years ago.....
Which proves that lenses can be bringing cash for a very long time. So I really don't get the point of Pentax being so slow with new prime lenses, they could release a bunch of new primes (accept to have negative cash flow for a while) and then just enjoy the steady cash coming in for at least the next 10 years. Unless the problem is the mirrorless trend which is increasingly becoming an issue for DSLR lenses (needs adapt vs no adapter needed for lenses design for mirrorless). New lenses might have a much short life time than expected.
03-09-2018, 01:09 AM - 2 Likes   #87
Veteran Member

I don't see any reason for a new D-FA Limited to keep the Aperture Ring/Screwdrive. Pentax needs to move on and keep up to date with the market, yes I love that I can use my FA43 with my MZ-S, which is lovely but its not going to keep them in business.

I think a ~20mm f4 and ~135mm f2.8 would round off an excellent collection with the FA31, FA43 and FA77.

Give them internal motor and WR and be done with it, at the expense of ultimate speed.
03-09-2018, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My take: D FA24/2.8 Limited; D FA20/2.8 Limited; D FA85/1.8 Limited; D FA35/2 Limited; D FA55/1.8 Limited. A set of standard primes in metal and finely finished with DC motors. KAF4. They have the designs to start from. They’re small. They don’t need to be particularly fast. They don’t need to be perfect. They can use in-camera lens corrections.

I’d bet the film era FA Limited designs are ended when the current batch is sold out.
Except that they should have odd focal lengths. How about DFA 19/2.9, DFA 23/2.6, DFA 43/1.7 (I bet there’ll be a new 43!) and DFA 79/1.9?
03-09-2018, 04:38 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If they made 58mm the new standard filter diameter (to match the FA31), any new Limiteds could be a little faster while keeping the length under control.

We'll see what the future holds
03-09-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
So I really don't get the point of Pentax being so slow with new prime lenses, they could release a bunch of new primes (accept to have negative cash flow for a while) and then just enjoy the steady cash coming in for at least the next 10 years.

Some time after Ricoh acquired Pentax, they announced a major global reduction in work force due to contracting markets. IIRC it was 20 - 30%; in any case significant and unprecedented in the company's history.

It would be hard to imagine company executives - let alone shareholders - approving speculative funding for a small (low single digit percentage of Ricoh) business unit. Everything I've seen for Ricoh Imaging since, save perhaps some production capability shortly after Pentax's acquisition strongly hints that any development funding comes from their own profits.