Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 137 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
I used it with the DA 300 before I got the 150-450. It performed very well on the 300mm too. Early morning light. Maybe you have a bad copy?
Hmm... can you elaborate on your AF settings that the Tamron 1.4x worked best with? AFS, AFC, single spot, Sel 9, etc ?
Maybe it is just about getting the settings optimal to make it work best?
Thanks,
Eric

10-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #212

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I'm really kind of hoping that they also have some unannounced lenses in their back pocket
Youre not the only one! hoping for some new DA* lenses to go with the new body. The old ones are great, but an upgrade with HD coating would be nice.
10-08-2019, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dan.a.nesheim Quote
Youre not the only one! hoping for some new DA* lenses to go with the new body. The old ones are great, but an upgrade with HD coating would be nice.
While I'd love some Stars to fill in gaps, I'd frankly just be glad for any brand new lenses to be released.
10-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Hmm... can you elaborate on your AF settings that the Tamron 1.4x worked best with? AFS, AFC, single spot, Sel 9, etc ?
Maybe it is just about getting the settings optimal to make it work best?
Thanks,
Eric
I use it with AFC and single spot.

10-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #215
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the Tamron 1.4 also and was so disappointed in the AF when used with my DA*300
It performed very well on the 300mm too.
I still use this combination on my K3 and would say performance is 'ok', so maybe half way between these opinions.
10-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use it with AFC and single spot.
OK, thanks, I'll give it another try on the 300, and try the 150-450mm while I'm at it.
Eric
10-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #217

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Are you trying to use SR with these older lenses on a tripod - not a good idea, it will induce vibrations trying to figure out which direction to compensate for.
Why does SR not work on a tripod?

10-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by weverka Quote
Bear in mind I don't know all the details, just the bare basics, but from what I understand with SR on and the camera on the tripod, the camera is still trying to correct for movement even when the camera is still. This results in the camera trying to correct for movement that isn't there. This results in blurry images that you wouldn't have had SR been off. Guaranteed, someone else can explain this even better and definitely more correctly than I ever will.
10-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by weverka Quote
There is no mention of turning SR off on a tripod in either the K3 or K1 manuals, if it was a problem you would expect it to be mentioned.

Also on the K1, there is the ability to turn SR on when using the timers which is a little intriguing.
10-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Bear in mind I don't know all the details, just the bare basics, but from what I understand with SR on and the camera on the tripod, the camera is still trying to correct for movement even when the camera is still. This results in the camera trying to correct for movement that isn't there. This results in blurry images that you wouldn't have had SR been off. Guaranteed, someone else can explain this even better and definitely more correctly than I ever will.
SR and tripod: I would suggest that people capture an image with the SR on and off on a tripod, and then compare the two images at 100% magnification on the computer. I've done that and I can't tell the difference. Even so, I do turn SR off when using a tripod just to be 100% safe.
10-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #221
Pentaxian

Many recent stabilisation systems detect the absence of movement/vibrations when the camera is on a tripod and just shut down, therefore there is no difference between SR on and SR off.

Otherwise MikeyBugs95's explanation is valid.
10-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #222
Pentaxian

SR and tripod: I would suggest that people capture an image with the SR on and off on a tripod, and then compare the two images at 100% magnification on the computer. I've done that and I can't tell the difference. Even so, I do turn SR off when using a tripod just to be 100% safe.
I've even found that when trying to shoot pictures of the moon, if I'm shooting on a tripod with no timer and I forget to turn SR off either in body on on lens, the pictures come out slightly (but to me noticeably) blurrier than pictures taken after I turn off SR. Obviously if you set the timer, there's no problem.
10-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #223
Pentaxian

My K5 on tripod had his SR going crazy (and LVimage too of course).
Just disabled it and everything went fine.
10-12-2019, 04:54 AM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
My K5 on tripod had his SR going crazy (and LVimage too of course).
Just disabled it and everything went fine.
Yeah, speaking of SR going crazy, I had my old 500mm mirror mounted on the K1 a couple years ago... the SR went nuts and was clunking all over the place and seemed exceedingly loud. All I could figure was the big mirror lens chamber was acting like an megaphone so it made it extra loud. It bothered me enough that I never mounted it again.
10-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #225
Pentaxian

Yeah, speaking of SR going crazy, I had my old 500mm mirror mounted on the K1 a couple years ago... the SR went nuts and was clunking all over the place and seemed exceedingly loud. All I could figure was the big mirror lens chamber was acting like an megaphone so it made it extra loud. It bothered me enough that I never mounted it again.
Funny that was my Tamron 500/8 mounted on the K5 at the time

Disabling SR should take care of your megaphone