Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 137 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If I have my usual luck, the Tamron will get retired. I will buy another used one somewhere the week before Pentax announces that theirs is available for sale.
Hmmm... in which case, could you let us know when you get your next Tamron TC? It'll help us to pin down the release date for the new Pentax converter

03-11-2018, 03:12 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This will be very welcome, but for now the KP is my teleconverter for full frame lenses
03-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #33
Forum Member

This is good news. I am hoping it will be available by next Spring; which when I plan on buying the 150-450.
03-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JamesDCrockett Quote
This is good news. I am hoping it will be available by next Spring; which when I plan on buying the 150-450.
Not likely. It would be on the roadmap if it were that close.

03-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Not likely. It would be on the roadmap if it were that close.
I still want the 150-450 for birding next year. Normal to wide angle all around lens comes first though. I hope the new 50 lives up to the hype for sharpness.
03-13-2018, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well six days now and still no D FA 1.4x converter available.

I can use my K3, but I prefer having 36mp looking at the field of view and not 24 mp. The K1 has spoiled me big time in that regard.

On Star Trek whenever Kirk needed full power NOW and the warp drive was not functioning Scotty somehow managed to make it happen. And that was 50 years ago with 1960's technology! No reason Ricoh can't churn out a simple teleconveter in 6 days. It's not rocket science like Star Trek was. We have much better technology today.
03-13-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well six days now and still no D FA 1.4x converter available.

I can use my K3, but I prefer having 36mp looking at the field of view and not 24 mp. The K1 has spoiled me big time in that regard.

On Star Trek whenever Kirk needed full power NOW and the warp drive was not functioning Scotty somehow managed to make it happen. And that was 50 years ago with 1960's technology! No reason Ricoh can't churn out a simple teleconveter in 6 days. It's not rocket science like Star Trek was. We have much better technology today.
Aw, c'mon. Waiting one more day won't kill you.

03-13-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps now would be a good time to remind everyone that an official K-1 tele-converter already exists...

03-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This will be very welcome, but for now the KP is my teleconverter for full frame lenses
I've discovered having bought the Tamron 300 2.8 so i'd have the same reach as my 200 2.8 with the 1.7x AF Adapater, ya a longer focal length works on FF and can be similar to the 1.4 on APS-c, but if you take the K-1 off the long lens and put the K-3 on, it's still better. It doesn't matter what you buy, as long as the light is good enough, the APS_c sensor makes it longer.
03-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it may be useful to recall that the DA 1.4x actually has restrictions on which lenses can be used with it. This is related to focus throw and the chance the rear element of a lens contacts the front of the converter lens cell. I would expect that significant discussion around future FF designs is needed to avoid releasing a product that then conflicts with as yet to be created designs. Additionally I would expect testing to occur on actual lenses and few exist today in brand new designs. Frankly I think it is a more daunting task than people are realizing.

However I could be full of hooey. After all many existing designs exist and much of the details around lens element extension is governed by physical limitations in the mirror box already. I would think a dedicated 1.4x or 2.0x could quickly be created to cover the 150-450, the 560, and perhaps the 300. but despite this being the main target marketplace I'm not sure they would want to limit it to just those for fear of limited sales.
03-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #41

Also looking for a FF TC

Very interested to hear if this is likely to happen in the near future or not? I'm looking for a FF TC to pair with either a Sigma 120-400mm DG OSM etc. or Tamron 70-200mm F2.8. I was looking at the new Sigma line up but they do not appear to be continuing with the Pentax mount, which is why I am looking for a TC. Interestingly Sigma still offer a mount conversion service including Pentax but I haven't confirmed that yet.
03-14-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markwoodfin Quote
Interestingly Sigma still offer a mount conversion service including Pentax but I haven't confirmed that yet.
That's only for lenses that they actually make in K-mount, which isn't many these days.
03-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by markwoodfin Quote
Very interested to hear if this is likely to happen in the near future or not?
Depends on the definition of the words "near future".
The last Pentax TC did appear on the roadmap two years before the market introduction. So 2020/2021 could be realistic at the moment.
03-15-2018, 06:22 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
That's only for lenses that they actually make in K-mount, which isn't many these days.
Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I had this from Sigma this morning.
"Good morning Mark,

Thank you for your enquiry.
Unfortunately our range of 150-600mm lenses are not produced in a Pentax mount. We no longer produce any Pentax fit tele zoom lenses I’m afraid, due to demand.
This also extends to our tele converters, which are no longer available in a Pentax fitting I’m sorry to say.

The 150-600mm is not available in Pentax fit and we no longer do a converter in Pentax. This was the decision of our parent company in Japan. It may be possible this will change in the future but at the moment we have no news on this."

It's so annoying that Pentax / Ricoh have dragged their feet getting into full frame and with only 1 model that they scared off the third party manufacturers. No point if they develop great stuff if it's too late and folks have already moved to another system!
03-15-2018, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At one time Pentax had 5 teleconverters. Two designated "L" and two designated "S". The S model for most Pentax lenses. The L model for telephoto and long telephoto lenses plus the AF Adapter 1.7x.

I am looking an early 1990's, 32 page, Pentax lens brochure that I recently came across in my files. It lists 53 different lenses and 5 teleconverters for 35mm cameras and the locations of five different sales and service facilities in the US. Glass lenses from 15 to 1200mm with three mirror lenses including a 10cm long 400-600mm reflex zoom thrown in for good measure.