Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2018, 09:00 AM - 4 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by markwoodfin Quote
It's so annoying that Pentax / Ricoh have dragged their feet getting into full frame and with only 1 model that they scared off the third party manufacturers. No point if they develop great stuff if it's too late and folks have already moved to another system!
Maybe you could just buy the actual Pentax gear instead of spending your money on a competitor and then complaining? Just a thought......

03-15-2018, 09:12 AM - 4 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Maybe you could just buy the actual Pentax gear instead of spending your money on a competitor and then complaining? Just a thought......
Oh dear. That attitude just drives potential customers away, don’cha know. Drives them away in droves.
03-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh dear. That attitude just drives potential customers away, don’cha know. Drives them away in droves.
Sorry. I forgot about that..............
03-15-2018, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I was told, in several occasions, that Pentax would only move forward if people complain as much as possible - bashing, insulting, everything's allowed. You must make things look so bad that people would run away to other brands.
Being happy and spending money on Pentax equipment is actually the reason why we don't have excellent AF, 4K video and you-name-it.

03-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Being happy and spending money on Pentax equipment is actually the reason why we don't have excellent AF, 4K video and you-name-it.
So people actually buying Pentax equipment new and thus increasing the revenue stream and profits of Ricoh will NOT incentivize them to make more products? Wow, I was so confused on that issue, thanks for clearing it up for me.
03-15-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Yes, that was the idea: on one hand, spending customers would tell the company that everything's fine and no improvement is needed (because the company couldn't possibly want to build on a successful recipe), and on the other hand, driving the customers away (economic terrorism) would make the company scramble to launch the solution which, of course, is trivial to implement.
03-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Yes, that was the idea: on one hand, spending customers would tell the company that everything's fine and no improvement is needed (because the company couldn't possibly want to build on a successful recipe), and on the other hand, driving the customers away (economic terrorism) would make the company scramble to launch the solution which, of course, is trivial to implement.
It is difficult to spend money on a roadmap. For a certain time standard Pentax gear is an alternative, but not for long.
So buying is OK, profit is required, and a decent plan (roadmap) is good. Only delivery will keep people buying, maintain profit, ...
I am ready, Pentax is not.

03-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Only delivery will keep people buying, maintain profit, ... I am ready, Pentax is not.
Well, that is a good point but only if nothing in the current catalog will work for a specific need. In nearly all cases, but not all, that is simply not true. There are alternatives already in the catalog that would work in the real world. I just do not accept that anyone needs (for example) a 35mm f/1.4 when a 35mm f/2 is available. Or a Sigma lens when an alternative that is close is already available in the Pentax catalog. That appears to me as just making excuses for not taking pictures.

Unfortunately one exception to that is a FF teleconverter. There is no real alternative at this time and it is to be hoped Pentax understands that. But even if they do and it is already slotted into the development schedule it could be 3 - 5 years before it is done. That is unfortunate but it is also reality. Anyone who cannot live with that should reconcile themselves to moving to a more popular brand.
03-15-2018, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was told, in several occasions, that Pentax would only move forward if people complain as much as possible - bashing, insulting, everything's allowed. You must make things look so bad that people would run away to other brands.
It wasn't exactly expressed like this but totally see why one would take it like that
03-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
It is difficult to spend money on a roadmap. For a certain time standard Pentax gear is an alternative, but not for long.
So buying is OK, profit is required, and a decent plan (roadmap) is good. Only delivery will keep people buying, maintain profit, ...
I am ready, Pentax is not.
I'll correct that:
QuoteQuote:
It is difficult to spend money on a roadmap. For a certain time standard Pentax gear is an alternative for me, but not for long.
And that's actually totally fine. But that's you.
03-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
so lets hope the adding of a pentax x converter doesn't mess with the exposures of images like some of the others on the market do. We need a good set of converters now with their own lens id for the camera to read seperate to the actual lens id. I am not talking about manual converters here as they don't supply info to the camera.
03-16-2018, 01:31 AM   #57
Pentaxian

If it works fine with the DA converter, I don't see why it wouldn't with the DFA.
03-16-2018, 06:02 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markwoodfin Quote
Unfortunately our range of 150-600mm lenses are not produced in a Pentax mount. We no longer produce any Pentax fit tele zoom lenses I’m afraid, due to demand.
What's he saying?
We don't make lenses in Pentax mount because nobody bought them.
Most of us buy Pentax first given comparable product.
But any Pentax owner can buy a 150-600 and a body for it for $1500. A Pentax 150-450 costs more.
There is opportunity to save money and use Sigma lenses.

Not that anyone would probably tell us if they did, but I don't see many folks taking advantage of this opportunity.
03-16-2018, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
but I don't see many folks taking advantage of this opportunity
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Most of us buy Pentax first given comparable product
There is some kind of circular logic thing going on there but it's too early for me to figure it out. But I think it is something very profound and wise.
03-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There is some kind of circular logic thing going on there but it's too early for me to figure it out. But I think it is something very profound and wise.
Ya, just reading those two observations hurts my brain.