Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2018, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I hope The Plan is lenses. I hope some day Pentax is once again revered as an optics company.
If Sigma can do it with it's collection of Art labeled lenses, not all of which are really all that amazing, I don't see how Pentax couldn't do the same. Vision, patience, and funding/priority are the three ingredients that I think are the most important in getting there.

03-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It's more than a rumour, it's a statement made by a Pentax representative during his interview with Pentax Forums in the framework of CP+:

CP+ 2018 Pentax Interview - YouTube
Until we see it, both rumor and statement are just bla bla.
03-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to wonder at what point Ricoh is going to cut asahiman out of the loop. Cell phone pictures of an internal document being shown on a computer monitor, broadcast out on a pretty visible platform like DPReview, seems less like helping the marketing department and more like enemy action.
03-15-2018, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I have to wonder at what point Ricoh is going to cut asahiman out of the loop. Cell phone pictures of an internal document being shown on a computer monitor, broadcast out on a pretty visible platform like DPReview, seems less like helping the marketing department and more like enemy action.
It would take Pentax 60 seconds to cut off asahi man if that’s what they wanted to do. asahi man doesn’t have access to that pdf by mistake.

03-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
If Sigma can do it with it's collection of Art labeled lenses, not all of which are really all that amazing, I don't see how Pentax couldn't do the same. Vision, patience, and funding/priority are the three ingredients that I think are the most important in getting there.
Except it seems that half the regular posters in the Lens Forum would rather buy the Sigma.
03-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're being pedantic. I was wondering aloud (via this forum) if/when they'll cut him off. I'm not saying "this will definitely happen within the week". It just seems a bit odd to me that they'd let it go on. As for the Sigma Art thing, yes, right now, there's a real cachet to the Art label and people seem pretty enamored with the idea of just getting a bunch of them. When we have a couple of the new kenspo-style* star lenses from Pentax then we can see what the noise level regarding Art lenses is.

* - the term I invented for a big, heavily corrected, sharp on all sides lens which kenspo seems in favor of.
03-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #22
Pentaxian

"kenspo-style" lenses... hmm... I guess they'll mark the transition from: "those Sigma Arts, they're better than anything Pentax has! (insert botched DxOMark test here)" to: "well, Sigma Arts are cheaper, and not that much worse..."

03-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh I didn’t mean anything. I think they feed asahi man what they want him to have. I mean, he’s not James Bond with a Minox. They either emailed a pdf directly to him, or they emailed it to an insider or reviewer who let him cap the screen. If they’re emailing pdf’s of the lens diagram the NDA’s / embargo period must be nearly ended, right?

And that’s if he isn’t outright an employee or contractor.
03-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #24
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hope The Plan is lenses. I hope some day Pentax is once again revered as an optics company.
It could be the turn, otherwise why would the K1 MrkII version be released? I am confident that Pentax is really working on new optical projects as it did in the past and not simply cloning other lenses.
That is what I hope for as a loyal supporter of Pentax. Make me dream!
03-15-2018, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
It could be the turn, otherwise why would the K1 MrkII version be released? I am confident that Pentax is really working on new optical projects as it did in the past and not simply cloning other lenses.
That is what I hope for as a loyal supporter of Pentax. Make me dream!
I’d thought I might say the 70-200 was the signal.
03-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"kenspo-style" lenses... hmm... I guess they'll mark the transition from: "those Sigma Arts, they're better than anything Pentax has! (insert botched DxOMark test here)" to: "well, Sigma Arts are cheaper, and not that much worse..."
Learn the differences between signal, noise, and outright FUD. Then act accordingly.

---------- Post added 03-15-18 at 01:48 PM ----------

I’d thought I might say the 70-200 was the signal.
I like this and agree; the 70-200 is supposed to be very good, on par with anything comparable from the other companies offering a similar 70-200. Also, that Pentax pulled the lens back for further improvement, that's a good sign in my book. Quality over expediency.
03-15-2018, 03:10 PM - 7 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

70-200 was the ignition lens, the new *primes are using also the new coating Aero ll and new elements, the quality of all 3 will be highest end.
Only the slow production run is a negative point.
And yes, Ricoh patented, but Pentax development,cause developed by origin Pentax stuff.
Like the * 70-200.
Best regards
04-26-2018, 03:46 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My recent field test with the DA*50

I was able to photograph Peekaboo slot canyon near Kanab, UT in March with Pentax Ambassador Kerrick James. He had the K-1 MK11 and the coming DA* 50. I brought my DA*55 to specifically compare to the new 50mm on my K-1. I shot both on the coral pink sand dunes on the way to Peekaboo. My conclusion is at 1:1, they are essentially equal. As you increase the crop to 2:1 the 50 is noticeably better and at 3:1 its no contest. I also shot a canyon garden wall with the 50 and at 3:1 it is very sharp. While it is large and heavy for a 50mm, it balances beautifully on the K-1 in my medium sized hands. It was very comfortable shooting the sand dunes hand held. I was REALLY happy with my images of Peekaboo. I'm going to start saving to buy one. I will likely do that rather than upgrade to the MK11. I just don't need the extra resolution & high ISO noise improvement since I'm not a pro.
The attached images seek to show what the DA* 50 images look like taken by my K-1. Peekaboo wall3 is from inside the canyon at the Moqui steps (estimated to be 600 to 1000 years old). They were carved by ancient Puebloans to reach a granary higher up the canyon wall. Peekaboo wall one is the rock garden wall cropped slightly to a 2:3 aspect ratio in Lightroom. Wall1-2 is the same image cropped to approximate a 3:1 enlargement.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #29
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeyemikie Quote
I was able to photograph Peekaboo slot canyon near Kanab, UT
Mah! I do not know what to say, there is something that worries me in these photos, they are beautiful because the location is beautiful, but they have a strange dominance that makes me think, you noticed too?
Or it's just my impression. However many thanks for the presentation.

Is it the same landscape? Peek-a-Boo Canyon
04-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Peekaboo Canyon Images

Yes they are all from inside Peekaboo. If you've never been there, the passage thru varies considerably. Some sections have walls that 3 ft. or less apart...in other sections it widens out to 20 feet or more, so light on the walls is quite variable.