Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 04:04 AM   #91

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Android or iOS? I used it in landscape orientation for shooting last night after upgrading. Looks like only shooting mode is supported for landscape orientation.
Sorry I wasn’t clear enough. I am talking about the Image Sync app on an iPAD Pro.
Every other app I use on the iPAD rotates to match the orientation that it has been rotated to.
I use the iPAD with a keyboard stand (landscape orientation) whilst the camera is off in the distance. But the app stays in portrait mode and I have to tilt my head.
It’s just lazy programming.

04-21-2021, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just had an opportunity to use it for our annual anniversary selfie portraits of my wife & I. (34 years this past week! ) I started with an empty SD card per usual, and the new Image Sync was "better" but the constant WIFI disconnects are still a royal PITA. I must have had to reset & reconnect 7 times in that session, to get 18 pics.

The reconnect to last used wifi is nice, it helps take SOME of the pain away, but the fact that I have to get up, turn the K-1 off then back on before it will reconnect really sucks, especially for a sitting formal portrait.
It even wore my normally good natured wife's patience thin.

Otherwise the app has TONS of POTENTIAL! It does everything I want, feature wise!!! I find it waaaaay more useful than a tilty flippy screen, especially for low macro, remote portraits, most all tripod stuff like night shots etc, since it kills multiple birds with one stone, remote shutter release and remote view, camera settings and focus even. It's so close to being there, it just makes it all the more frustrating.

I just wish they would flush out the reliability of the app Wifi connectivity. Fixing that one thing would be so huge. It would also give the K3-III critic's of the lack of flippy screen a great option.
Eric
04-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I just had an opportunity to use it for our annual anniversary selfie portraits of my wife & I. (34 years this past week! ) I started with an empty SD card per usual, and the new Image Sync was "better" but the constant WIFI disconnects are still a royal PITA. I must have had to reset & reconnect 7 times in that session, to get 18 pics.

The reconnect to last used wifi is nice, it helps take SOME of the pain away, but the fact that I have to get up, turn the K-1 off then back on before it will reconnect really sucks, especially for a sitting formal portrait.
It even wore my normally good natured wife's patience thin.

Otherwise the app has TONS of POTENTIAL! It does everything I want, feature wise!!! I find it waaaaay more useful than a tilty flippy screen, especially for low macro, remote portraits, most all tripod stuff like night shots etc, since it kills multiple birds with one stone, remote shutter release and remote view, camera settings and focus even. It's so close to being there, it just makes it all the more frustrating.

I just wish they would flush out the reliability of the app Wifi connectivity. Fixing that one thing would be so huge. It would also give the K3-III critic's of the lack of flippy screen a great option.
Eric
I'm like you. I love the richness of feature, but the unreliable wi-fi drives me bonkers. I seriously hope the new camera brings along a more solid connection with it. if so I see myself using it somewhat regularly, as for now I open the app maybe a half dozen times a year.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-21-2021 at 09:00 AM.
04-21-2021, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

I tried out using images sync again yesterday after more than a year. It has so much potential and would be so useful in my job. However, it still sucks. I was able to connect to the camera (a huge improvement from when it would just crash at launch) and even take photos. However, everytime I took a photo, it would cancel out and I'd have to reconnect and type in the password again and again. Everytime I took a photo. So, its still useless to me.

04-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I tried out using images sync again yesterday after more than a year. It has so much potential and would be so useful in my job. However, it still sucks. I was able to connect to the camera (a huge improvement from when it would just crash at launch) and even take photos. However, everytime I took a photo, it would cancel out and I'd have to reconnect and type in the password again and again. Everytime I took a photo. So, its still useless to me.
Huh. I've never had that problem with my K-70. I tried it out the other night after the update arrived, and was very happy to be able to use my phone in landscape orientation for shooting. Snapped off at least half a dozen images without needing to reconnect. Also, I never have to re-enter a password…it's stored as a hotspot that my phone is willing to connect to. I'm on an iPhone 8 running the latest iOS.
04-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Huh. I've never had that problem with my K-70. I tried it out the other night after the update arrived, and was very happy to be able to use my phone in landscape orientation for shooting. Snapped off at least half a dozen images without needing to reconnect. Also, I never have to re-enter a password…it's stored as a hotspot that my phone is willing to connect to. I'm on an iPhone 8 running the latest iOS.
The difference could be in your phone - I also have an iPhone 8 and it has been slower than I would like, but I have never had any problems.
The origin of this thread was an update of the Android version of "Image Sync" - and that version apparently has had genuine problems.
04-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Android version. I do not use it a lot but when I have used it, it has worked fine. Controlling camera and transferring images and movies. Just to be sure, my K-1ii just sent a 35mb movie and a jpg to my Samsung phone without a glitch. Different phones and different cameras may work less reliably.

04-21-2021, 05:54 PM   #98
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

For anyone finding disconnects, the villain is likely your phone. Check if you can get to Google on it. If you can, you're using cellular data and your phone may have switched over to that instead of wifi in order to maintain an Internet connection. Turn it off!

Obviously we can't speak for all the models of phone out there and their 'smart switching' behaviour.

And with Andrea's excellent WiFi Commander on Windows, do the same with your home WiFi network as necessary.

This is behaviour by a phone or computer, not the camera or the app.

Last edited by clackers; 04-21-2021 at 06:05 PM.
04-22-2021, 01:56 AM   #99

Does anyone know what folder image sync stores the files in on your phone? I see I have 4 pictures from years ago but I cannot find them scrolling through the files and folders. 128GB micro SDcards as extra storage aren't always the best things.
04-22-2021, 03:55 AM   #100
Pentaxian

What type of phone do you have?
04-22-2021, 04:26 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Any reason why it doesn't flip when phone is in horizontal position?
04-22-2021, 04:27 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Any reason why it doesn't flip when phone is in horizontal position?
It does in shooting mode in the latest version. Outside of that, they haven’t enabled it to do so.
04-22-2021, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote
Does anyone know what folder image sync stores the files in on your phone? I see I have 4 pictures from years ago but I cannot find them scrolling through the files and folders. 128GB micro SDcards as extra storage aren't always the best things.
On my phone (Android) they're in the /Pictures/Image Sync folder (on the internal storage)
04-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #104
Pentaxian

And one remark on this is that new K-3III will have, not just that WiFi, but also a Bluetooth to make sure that connection will stay. As well as it does allow down load images to your device even when camera is not on. This could imply that it pairing and keeping that pair should be more and more easy. How ever, I would not think that it would work as well or much better on your(mine also) K-1 or other older models.

I have personally not had much problem with taking the photo. (iPhone5 & 7 and iPad 2019) Problem has been transfering the images, as it does take ages to do so. This should be improved vastly too.
04-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #105
Pentaxian

A trick to improve the wireless images transfer is to put the camera in playback mode or, with a minor effect, turn off the camera rear lcd.