Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2021, 11:12 AM - 4 Likes   #196
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Congratulations, I wish I could say so too! It works on my daughter’s iPhone whatever (newer and bigger than mine), but it refuses connect on my old iPhone SE. Perhaps an in-built cheepnis filter?
I use a 2020 iPhone SE, though I had the old one before I dropped it one too many times...

In both cases, I had to convince the phone it was OK to connect to a WiFi network that has no internet. That was the biggest problem in getting it to work at all... but once I did, it connected fine...

To be fair, it's a real issue, as I have a friend who was about to go crazy because her internet stopped working, only to find out it was because her phone had connected to her vacuum cleaner's WiFi instead of the home WiFi...

-Eric

12-27-2021, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I use a 2020 iPhone SE, though I had the old one before I dropped it one too many times...

In both cases, I had to convince the phone it was OK to connect to a WiFi network that has no internet. That was the biggest problem in getting it to work at all... but once I did, it connected fine...

To be fair, it's a real issue, as I have a friend who was about to go crazy because her internet stopped working, only to find out it was because her phone had connected to her vacuum cleaner's WiFi instead of the home WiFi...

-Eric
That sucks.
12-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Her vacuum cleaner has wifi? There is the problem.
12-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

-Eric
I have enough difficulty using just the internet WiFi and having my hearing aids connected to my phone with Blue Tooth. I cannot imagine a vacuum cleaner connected to WiFi.

12-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its all cool as long as the devices do not need an extra ssid to understand that the used wifi is 5ghz plus 2.4ghz
12-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Her vacuum cleaner has wifi? There is the problem.
She would say the same thing about my camera

"My Brownie never had WiFi"...

But I'll admit I'm resistant to certain aspects of "the internet of things" because of nonsense like that... and reading last week that BMW wants to make heated seats in their cars part of a subscription service... but we've already seen that with cabled tethering, which requires the fancier software, not just Image Sync.

There's a good likelihood that the layout of every one of the rooms in her house is stored in the cloud somewhere...
I think I read that in addition to the "normal" stuff, like firmware updates, there is communication to improve the "furniture avoidance AI" in future updates.
I have no idea if that's real or just an excuse to keep people from blocking its access...

-Eric
12-28-2021, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
She would say the same thing about my camera

"My Brownie never had WiFi"...

But I'll admit I'm resistant to certain aspects of "the internet of things" because of nonsense like that... and reading last week that BMW wants to make heated seats in their cars part of a subscription service... but we've already seen that with cabled tethering, which requires the fancier software, not just Image Sync.

There's a good likelihood that the layout of every one of the rooms in her house is stored in the cloud somewhere...
I think I read that in addition to the "normal" stuff, like firmware updates, there is communication to improve the "furniture avoidance AI" in future updates.
I have no idea if that's real or just an excuse to keep people from blocking its access...

-Eric
I have no problem with internet-enabled devices that provide benefits to me. If your Roomba vacuum cleaner does a better job by storing maps of your house in the cloud and gets regular updates to its operating software that improve performance, great. But most of the applications I've seen have little benefit. Lots of people now have smart thermostats for their house. I haven't had too many times where I'm 100 miles away and thought "wow, I really wish I'd set the house to 68 degrees instead of 70." Maybe some folks collect data and analyze it? I'm pretty okay with a normal $30 programmable thermostat that's not connected to anything and doesn't rely on an always-on internet connection for anything.

I have a sneaking suspicion that most of these internet-enabled refrigerators and coffee makers and the like are really just data mining so a company can target you with ads and potentially shut down your device if it's not used in the way they like, similar to DRM in printer cartridges. I could see an online fridge refuse to allow you to use ice and the water dispenser if you didn't put the OEM-required filter in on their schedule, and as soon as the change date approaches your phone is bombarded with ads for the expensive officially-supported replacements.

02-28-2022, 03:51 PM   #203

There is an update on IOS now for version 2.1.11 - enabled to rotate the live view screen during remote shooting.