Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #196
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 843
I believe many newcomers to DSLR photography, coming from digicam p&s, would want LiveView.
So, a Kx000D with LiveView and no optical viewfinder (instead an electronic viewfinder), only contrast detect AF? I believe many firstcomers to DSLR would enjoy this (even if I personally would miss an optical viewfinder). This would help shrink the size of the camera.
Problem is, fast contrast detection AF is problematic - as has been showned by the Pana G1.
(only a few of the older AF lenses works in AF). And making a live-view only cam with slow AF?
No, not a chance...
So perhaps not this year... Technology isn't there, here, yet. but it would be an interresting alternative.

No LCD panel on top I guess, just like the others. Going for a big LCD screen at the back. 3" quite possible.
Still LiveView? The 10Mp Sony can't offer it. So it needs to be Samsung 14Mp CMOS. Or a simpler version of it, a downgraded Samsung CMOS with 10Mp? Or what about this Cyrix 9Mp CMOS (shrinked 24x36 14Mp sensor, used by Kodak)?
Hard to guess this one... LiveView would be welcomed by the buyers.
Depth-of-field preview? Probably removed, like in the competition. Many newcomers doesn't know what it is... so better remove it I guess.
AF system is time to be updated it is said. Well, but in order to not steal too much market from the more expensive cameras from Pentax, I say 3 to 5 AF points. Not more. But faster AF with AF tracking and the so much wanted (?) face detection.
Built-in anti-red-eye function.
No socket for a cable release.
Re-introduction of the separate AF assist light?
No centerweighted metering, perhaps not even spot metering? (newcomers doesn't know what it does anyway).
No stop-down-metering with old lenses?
Screwdriven AF and SDM support yes, still I believe.
3 fps.
Smart auto picture modes, in a new version. More scene modes with quick acess.
No RAW-button.
Well, just some thoughts...
No weather sealing.
Enhanced dynamic range function yes.
And the killer feature - touch screen with a built-in penholder for easy image editing and painting a smile on those persons that are not smiling to the camera.
Wireless printing using bluetooth.

09-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #197
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,249
Let's discuss...
Low-end model will be rather successful and can undermine the selling of K200D,
K20D is selling not very good, worse than K10D.
Pentax have already cut price for K20D, but to say honest k20D can't compete with 50D and it's to compete with new D90.

Pentax also has no camera like E-3, A700, D200, D300.
It's no good situation. K20Ds with 4.5-5 fps, 1/8000 and new AF system is necessary like oxygen for us.
09-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #198
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,260
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Let's discuss...
Low-end model will be rather successful and can undermine the selling of K200D,
K20D is selling not very good, worse than K10D.
Pentax have already cut price for K20D, but to say honest k20D can't compete with 50D and it's to compete with new D90.

Pentax also has no camera like E-3, A700, D200, D300.
It's no good situation. K20Ds with 4.5-5 fps, 1/8000 and new AF system is necessary like oxygen for us.
Will you stop multiple post to all thread from the forum once and for all?
It's really getting in nerves
09-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #199
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,260
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
And if you judge the kit lens too I guess the difference of price/quality will be even more visible.
Mmm I smell I new kit lens

/me going back to WoW... may stop thinking to much about all that

Thank you for your insights, Radua.

09-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #200
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm I smell I new kit lens

/me going back to WoW... may stop thinking to much about all that

Thank you for your insights, Radua.
No problem Thibs and sorry that I cannot say more atm I really wish I could!

I want to be clear that I had only the body and I test it with all my lenses (see sig) and see what Roland wrote above

Radu

P.S. I fully expect a new ws kit lens of greather fl and ws ... but this is only my guess. Something in the form of a D 18-1xx SDM for the next Kx00D and Kx0D as an option.
09-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #201
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I believe many newcomers to DSLR photography, coming from digicam p&s, would want LiveView.
So, a Kx000D with LiveView and no optical viewfinder (instead an electronic viewfinder), only contrast detect AF? I believe many firstcomers to DSLR would enjoy this (even if I personally would miss an optical viewfinder). This would help shrink the size of the camera. . .

.
If they do away with the viewfinder, why even bother with a pentaprism? Then it would no longer be a true slr. Even the Nikon hybrids like the Coolpix P80 have a view finder and live view and have for 7 years like the CP 5700.

Maybe Pentax will introduce a hybrid, but why place it in the K series dlsr?
09-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #202
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 843
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
P.S. I fully expect a new ws kit lens of greather fl and ws ... but this is only my guess. Something in the form of a D 18-1xx SDM for the next Kx00D and Kx0D as an option.
Tokina revealed plans for a 17-135 a couple of years back, then nothing happened.
I believe this would be a sound "superzoom", not too long to be good.
09-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #203
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,260
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Maybe Pentax will introduce a hybrid, but why place it in the K series dlsr?
Till announced we do not know if it will be a K or anything else.

09-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #204
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Till announced we do not know if it will be a K or anything else.
I agree with you there. The point I was making is that why do away with a viewfinder in favor of "live veiw?" I don't have a problem with live view in addition to a viewfinder but I wouldn't consider that only had an lcd.
09-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #205
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,260
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I agree with you there. The point I was making is that why do away with a viewfinder in favor of "live veiw?" I don't have a problem with live view in addition to a viewfinder but I wouldn't consider that only had an lcd.
Now,no. If EVF become good, why not but frankly I may be dead before being acceptable (which in no way means manufacturers will not use'em anyway).
09-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #206
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
keep the sr, i hope

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
No problem Thibs and sorry that I cannot say more atm I really wish I could!

I want to be clear that I had only the body and I test it with all my lenses (see sig) and see what Roland wrote above

Radu

P.S. I fully expect a new ws kit lens of greather fl and ws ... but this is only my guess. Something in the form of a D 18-1xx SDM for the next Kx00D and Kx0D as an option.
specs like these interests me. i hope they keep the SR though.
that is one selling point over the other 2 brands.

3 days to go...

regards,
jordan
09-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #207
Veteran Member
heatherslightbox's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gainesville, FL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,595
If this new body is just as small or even smaller than the DS, then chances are, I'll be in before too long. I'm one of those who wants to get a smaller second body. Paired with just the right lens, I hope it will be small enough that that I can get rid of my p&s and get a neoprene pouch so that I can carry it around in my purse. I'm not sure what that lens would be yet--perhaps my 35, or it will give me an good excuse to buy another lens after 12/31 (last day of the LBA challenge)--either the 40 or a small zoom, like one of the F or FAs that's not too expensive.

I may very well hold off upgrading the K10 until after I get this body.

I can't wait!

Heather
09-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #208
Veteran Member
offertonhatter's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North West UK
Posts: 377
The K20D is not a failure here in the UK, Ogl, it is flying off the shelves at dealers. I know I have tried. Stores here in Manchester manage to get one, maybe two units to sell, and within days, they are gone.

As for the rumours, to which we know nothing about (although I wish we did), I can see that Pentax will announce the following:-

Entry level DSLR, eg K2000D, which will have a small (E-4xx sized) body, although a tad fatter.

Possible upgrade to the K20D (not sure what, as the AF is the main problem, and would need a major rework), so a K20D Super would really be a MP boost in reality.

The full frame camera (KxD?) which would probably keep the existing fps and AF of the current range to keep costs down. I can see this coming next year at some point, but not sure when. Canon did it with the 5D, again to keep costs down, but to bring excellent IQ.

A possible Micro system, AKA micro 4/3rds, which again will have an adapter to use KAF lenses (ala 4/3rds), with Samsung.
09-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #209
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
If this new body is just as small or even smaller than the DS, then chances are, I'll be in before too long. I'm one of those who wants to get a smaller second body. Paired with just the right lens, I hope it will be small enough that that I can get rid of my p&s and get a neoprene pouch so that I can carry it around in my purse. I'm not sure what that lens would be yet--perhaps my 35, or it will give me an good excuse to buy another lens after 12/31 (last day of the LBA challenge)--either the 40 or a small zoom, like one of the F or FAs that's not too expensive.

I may very well hold off upgrading the K10 until after I get this body.

I can't wait!

Heather
heather,

i like your term 'LBA challenge'.

i've got one myself and it's supposed to last until middle of next year. (if i can help it LOL)

my wife uses my older DL. still a great camera but i want to get her something with SR, so hopefully the new body will maintain the SR feature. this also doesn't break my LBA challenge

72 hours to go .....

regards,
jordan
09-19-2008, 03:39 AM   #210
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
heather,

i like your term 'LBA challenge'.

i've got one myself and it's supposed to last until middle of next year. (if i can help it LOL)

my wife uses my older DL. still a great camera but i want to get her something with SR, so hopefully the new body will maintain the SR feature. this also doesn't break my LBA challenge

72 hours to go .....

regards,
jordan
Jordan,

All I can say is that this new camera is by no means a neutered K200D and for sure it doesn't feel either cheap or toy like!

Regards,
Radu
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
a900, canon, date, k20d, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, rumor, sensor, specs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wild rumor: Canon and Sony fighting over Pentax? rawr Pentax News and Rumors 56 09-05-2010 05:10 PM
Is ABESOFMAINE a reliable place to buy PENTAX? shang Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 08-04-2010 05:35 AM
old rumor : Pentax 18MP MF camera and evetually 30MP! eigelb Pentax Medium Format 1 11-22-2009 01:36 PM
Rumor about pro model be Samsung, not Pentax falconeye Pentax News and Rumors 30 04-23-2008 09:10 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top