Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

it could be someone at pentax went stretch in pshop when taking out k20d naming etc

09-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
It looks like there is a round button that would be in the right place to pop up a flash though.
Aww, you had to go forward and spoil it all.
09-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Don't think the K20D upgrade will be called K20D Super, it just sounds too cheesy.

Something like K20D MK II or K20D HD (If it has HD Movie Capture) will sound much better.
09-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #34

Maybe K22D

09-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by miriya Quote
two famous rumor mouth in South Korea.

Pentax K20D upgrade version

hmmm.. maybe K20D super? what is upgrade point??
maybe same K20D camera body ... AF?? shutter box?
Pentax has a consistent recent history of "Super" upgrades when no other new product is ready for release, or at least as a placeholder for the next big thing that is not yet ready.

A K20D super fits this trend pretty well, I think.

Also, it has not been that long since the release of the K20D and K200D, and when has Pentax ever been able to introduce anything big earlier than we all thought that they might (read: about the same time as everyone else)?

As far as I can tell, the answer is: Never.

If a K20D super is on the way, I would expect a bigger, higher res lcd, and perhaps an improved AF system.

I would be surprised by any significant frame rate increase as that might require the next version of the sensor (more channels) and also significantly reworked electronics to handle the extra channels.

If I were making the decisions, I would let the sensor ride as is because it is relatively new and very competitive in performance, ignore fps increases until the next gen, but address the AF if possible as it is the oldest part of the design and is a system that can be significantly improved without major surgery on the sensor or main electronics designs. I would venture a guess that AF performance is by far the biggest complaint of the user base.

Lastly, I might tweak the circuits to get lower read noise if that did not require a major redesign, but this sort of change might not even be offically announced.

Just my $.02.

Ray
09-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Pentax has a consistent recent history of "Super" upgrades when no other new product is ready for release, or at least as a placeholder for the next big thing that is not yet ready.

A K20D super fits this trend pretty well, I think.

Also, it has not been that long since the release of the K20D and K200D, and when has Pentax ever been able to introduce anything big earlier than we all thought that they might (read: about the same time as everyone else)?

As far as I can tell, the answer is: Never.

If a K20D super is on the way, I would expect a bigger, higher res lcd, and perhaps an improved AF system.

I would be surprised by any significant frame rate increase as that might require the next version of the sensor (more channels) and also significantly reworked electronics to handle the extra channels.

If I were making the decisions, I would let the sensor ride as is because it is relatively new and very competitive in performance, ignore fps increases until the next gen, but address the AF if possible as it is the oldest part of the design and is a system that can be significantly improved without major surgery on the sensor or main electronics designs. I would venture a guess that AF performance is by far the biggest complaint of the user base.

Lastly, I might tweak the circuits to get lower read noise if that did not require a major redesign, but this sort of change might not even be offically announced.

Just my $.02.

Ray
I'm with you on the AF module upgrade. Not that I'm shooting blistering fast action, but other people do, so there. Perhaps they can improve the image data read time to be able to squeeze in an extra 0.5 FPS or 1 FPS. And possibly a boosted ISO 12800, just for marketing blurb. Those three features would probably be sufficient upgrades in a K20D Super to keep it competitive, along with a decent street price.

Mention of SAFOX IX would probably stir up a lot of interest in current Pentax owners, especially those who chose to skip over the K20D upgrade. At least that's what I think.

But I really think that the K2000D should be the more important of Pentax's announcements. Much more people can be spurred to spend ~$500 to buy a DSLR than ~$1400 (reference to the D90 launch price).
09-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I'm with you on the AF module upgrade. Not that I'm shooting blistering fast action, but other people do, so there. Perhaps they can improve the image data read time to be able to squeeze in an extra 0.5 FPS or 1 FPS. And possibly a boosted ISO 12800, just for marketing blurb. Those three features would probably be sufficient upgrades in a K20D Super to keep it competitive, along with a decent street price.

Mention of SAFOX IX would probably stir up a lot of interest in current Pentax owners, especially those who chose to skip over the K20D upgrade. At least that's what I think.

But I really think that the K2000D should be the more important of Pentax's announcements. Much more people can be spurred to spend ~$500 to buy a DSLR than ~$1400 (reference to the D90 launch price).
i thought the D90 is at $999?

09-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

hold the k20d up against screen showing ad. Looks like a k20d to me....
09-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #39

I bet that the 20fps-low quality burst will became a full video recording mode. YouTube - Pentax K20D Burst 1 - Pentax@PL TV
It's only matter of saving the files as frames instead of separate pictures.

If i recall correctly Pentax had Divx licences for some time
09-06-2008, 06:12 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
i thought the D90 is at $999?
I should've typed it as ~$1300. I was referring to the D90 + kit lens price, since I was making a case for new adopters of DSLRs and not people with existing lenses already. My bad.
09-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #41

I'd just want better AF at EV 6.

You'd be surprised how often you shoot in EV 6.
09-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapshot12 Quote
Don't think the K20D upgrade will be called K20D Super, it just sounds too cheesy.

Something like K20D MK II or K20D HD (If it has HD Movie Capture) will sound much better.

I was just looking thru my new copy of Shutterbug Magazine and the BH Photo ad this month shows a Pentax K20 Super (looks like the same specs as K20 ). Why would they run an ad with a K20D Super?? maybe that is the new name

kman

Last edited by kmanlaker; 09-06-2008 at 06:44 AM. Reason: grammer
09-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #43
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
I was just looking thru my new copy of Shutterbug Magazine and the BH Photo ad this month shows a Pentax K20 Super (looks like the same specs as K20 ). Why would they run an ad with a K20D Super?? maybe that is the new name

kman
Check, please, AF system data and fps.
09-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Check, please, AF system data and fps.
rather LCD screen ... AF update will be such an enormous achievement
for Pentax that it deserves KxD no less.
09-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #45
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
I'd just want better AF at EV 6.

You'd be surprised how often you shoot in EV 6.
I am always shot a photo at EV2 ...