QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
There are strong signals
from outer space, no less ...

09-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
top LCD's
I expect that not to stay on (real) low-end bodies although i'd prefer it stay of course...
09-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #63
Forum Member

I tend to disagree with your opinion. The times of small, incremental upgrades are pretty much over for Pentax. Now they want to play in the Major League and they must show it. Even if they add a 4-5 fps camera there is plenty of room for a more expensive one above it with 8-10 fps and lots of other "goodies". If they're smart a K20D Super will battle the D90 as the only movie capable DSLRs of the market. And if they're REALLY smart the only thing missing is a 18-1xx weather proofed zoom as optional kit lens.
D90 bad points are IMO: small raw buffer, no ws, no in body SR. Already K20D has all of those covered. There are strong signals that the new AF system is ready and a new shutter system is also ready. So for me it makes perfect sense to combine this features and sell as many as possible and bring new people to Pentax (and also make a lot of <= k10D owners upgrade!

Radu

Personnally, I don't care that much about high fps coz I don't shoot events that need very high speed. They should provide an enhanced AF system and keep the noise as low as possible. I hope they will fix the banding / noise in high isos (tweak the darkframe settings ??) Anyway, my main critisicm about Pentax is their lens line up and future. When you see some lens like the nikon 24-70 or the 14-24, I really don't see any advantage of buying a collection of primes anymore since theses nikon are much more versatiles and have a tremendeous IQ. Plus, they are FF lens which mean it's a very nice investment if you plan to go FF some day.

I do plan to switch to Nikon because of lens, not because of the bodies.
09-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by claude21 Quote
and keep the noise as low as possible. I hope they will fix the banding / noise in high isos (tweak the darkframe settings ??)
how dare are you to talk that way about our beloved & unparalleled IQ ... step back under some light, will ya and dial ISO100...

09-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #65
Inactive Account

Focus Bracketing

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
the part I want in focus appears in focus in the VF but on the computer the focus is off.
Having thought about it more, I can see why zoom users would find QSF to not be as convenient as a prime shooter like myself. But, I never have this out-of-focus VF vs. screen problem. Have you tested with a focus chart? Also, it won't work for sports obviously, but you might try focus bracketing. I use this technique when it's dark.
09-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #66
Inactive Account

Not an Investment

QuoteOriginally posted by claude21 Quote
which mean it's a very nice investment
Lenses are not an 'investment'. 'Investments', gain (ideally), not lose value. You should count on any piece of digital camera gear to be essentially worthless in 5 years or less. Especially in the next 5 to 10 years as the (D)SLR form factor is replaced. FilmFrame is especially a regressive technology.
09-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #67
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
Lenses are not an 'investment'. 'Investments', gain (ideally), not lose value. You should count on any piece of digital camera gear to be essentially worthless in 5 years or less. Especially in the next 5 to 10 years as the (D)SLR form factor is replaced. FilmFrame is especially a regressive technology.
Investment does not necessarily refer to the lens itself. A working photographer can easily justify any equipment purchase as an investment. If buying a lens will allow you more flexibility in your shooting, then yes, you have made a good investment. More so even given the fact that the lens will depreciate in price. It will be worth less a year from now, but continue to make you money if it was in fact an essential choice in your lens lineup.

I have decided that photography is what I want to do for a living and can say from a numbers standpoint that my first camera was a good investment, as I have already made enough money with it to purchase a second camera body that I also feel is an investment.

09-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Investment does not necessarily refer to the lens itself. A working photographer can easily justify any equipment purchase as an investment. If buying a lens will allow you more flexibility in your shooting, then yes, you have made a good investment. More so even given the fact that the lens will depreciate in price. It will be worth less a year from now, but continue to make you money if it was in fact an essential choice in your lens lineup.

I have decided that photography is what I want to do for a living and can say from a numbers standpoint that my first camera was a good investment, as I have already made enough money with it to purchase a second camera body that I also feel is an investment.

I agree and would like to add that if you are buying lenses that are not giving good results or cameras and other brands included then your money is not well spent... if the opposite is achieved then the lenses will hold better value if you resell later then that is a wise investment.

I actually hope I never want to sell the lenses I have purchased apart from the kit lens. I'm new to DSLR and experienced as a past Nikon film user. I have done my best to read up on as much as possible before investing in any new lens.

Some people say its LBA and in a way it may be so even in cases like mine where I ensure the money spent is something I can afford without going into debt or thinking of something I could sell to get the lens I want.

But in the end to me its a case of buying as an investment to have long lasting good equipment that I am happy with.

Neil
09-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All we will see is a few upgrades to the 2 DSLR's that came out this year and next January they will anounce the new line-up. The same thing they did last Sept. the K100D Super.
09-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Posted on the other forum: there are already taxis driving around in Koln with Pentax ads on them.
Update on the taxi thing:

People living in Cologne report that maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of all taxis now feature the Pentax ad.

Pentax better has something to show off after all the buzz.
09-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #71
Inactive Account

I tend to disagree with your opinion. The times of small, incremental upgrades are pretty much over for Pentax. Now they want to play in the Major League and they must show it. Even if they add a 4-5 fps camera there is plenty of room for a more expensive one above it with 8-10 fps and lots of other "goodies". If they're smart a K20D Super will battle the D90 as the only movie capable DSLRs of the market. And if they're REALLY smart the only thing missing is a 18-1xx weather proofed zoom as optional kit lens.
D90 bad points are IMO: small raw buffer, no ws, no in body SR. Already K20D has all of those covered. There are strong signals that the new AF system is ready and a new shutter system is also ready. So for me it makes perfect sense to combine this features and sell as many as possible and bring new people to Pentax (and also make a lot of <= k10D owners upgrade!

Radu
i'd be first in line
09-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #72
Veteran Member

To me, it would make the most sense to introduce the K20 Super body now and wait until PMA next March (3-5) to blow everybody's mind with a great new lineup. Ideally, the K20 Super would improve on the K20 with a new feature or 2 while addressing the issues of the K20. By not having to completely overhaul the K20, it will give Pentax more time to work on the new lineup to be introduced next year without rushing.

Since PMA is in March, I wonder if Pentax will wait until then to announce anything major in the lineup.

Just in case you haven't realized it, Photokina is week after next.

While I don't have a crystal ball, I'm with Ogl in predicting that both the DA*55/1.4 and DA*60-250 release dates will be announced.

I will most certainly continue to wait with baited breath...

Heather
09-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #73
Forum Member

Original Poster
They just making astroart...

????????????K20D???????????

look this..

Pentax's new astroart camera is comming.

K20D based, no infrared filter and no SR.
09-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Update on the taxi thing:

People living in Cologne report that maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of all taxis now feature the Pentax ad.

Pentax better has something to show off after all the buzz.
Wow, a third (more conservative estimate) of the taxis carry that Pentax ad? Would be interesting to see what they come up with. The way they're marketing the brand, it would seem less likely that they'd only come up with Supers, though I could be wrong.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
All we will see is a few upgrades to the 2 DSLR's that came out this year and next January they will anounce the new line-up. The same thing they did last Sept. the K100D Super.
The difference between last September and this one is that this year is a Photokina year, so manufacturers are (usually) going full-tilt with announcements and products. I wouldn't expect a smorgasbord of immediately-released products from Pentax, but big announcements would probably be in order. At least we'd get to see what they have planned for the future.
09-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #75

I'll be pissed if they announce an updated K20 only as I have just bought my K20D in the last couple of months.

This is where leaks and rumours would have been good from Pentax earlier as it would let people like me hold off for a little longer and use what I already had.