Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2018, 05:57 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
prototype of new APS-C Pentax body

While browsing the web I came across a site with an image of a prototype Pentax APS-C camera. Had to apply GOOGLE translate as the text was all in Japanese. Features: 1) APS-C with 42mp sensor(!); 2) mirrorless; 3) new lens mount that allows shallower body = smaller than the current KP; 3) comes with lens adapter that allows all current Pentax lenses to operate normally, with an optional adapter that allows legacy MF lenses to operate normally (limited by their intrinsic features); 4) another adapter allows all current Canon EOS lenses to attach with full function, including AF(!), with a promise for future adapters for Nikon, Leica R & M etc lenses; 5) built-in radio-controlled pTTL flash to operate an included 2AA mini strobe (no pop-up), with updated 360 and 540 flash units controllable by the radio-remote to be released soon; 6) flash syncs up to 1/250 second with the mechanical shutter, but up to 1/2000 with the new electronic shutter; 7) as with existing MFT cameras, both mechanical and electronic shutters, but there is simultaneous all-pixel recording with the electronic so there's no problem with smearing and a top electronic speed of 1/64,000 second (!!!); 8) variable pixel selection, the sensor can combine adjacent pixels to lower the total count (down to 16mp) to reduce noise at high ISO and low-light situations, allowing a maximum ISO of 1,240,000 with essentially no noise whatever; 9) ultra-resolution mode that combines adjacent pixels as on current models, but does so instantaneously, in a single exposure (no tripod needed, can be used for subjects in motion) with IQ said to equal or surpass the best large sensors on the market (read Hasselblad-sized); apparently this is not used at all times because the processing and recording-to-card time causes a significant shot-to-shot delay; 10) a focus-stack mode claimed to be superior to that on some current MFT camera, with multiple settings that allows, for example, a sharp focus image of a large foreground object @ f1.4 leaving the background completely OOF with nice bokeh (if you're using the right lens); 11) a fully articulated rear screen with an automatic high-contrast mode for use in bright light; 12) a tilting EVF as on some existing MFT bodies; 13) the baseplate is metal and has Arca-Swiss grooves (slides on right/left not fore-aft) 12) overall the body is more compact and light than a current KP and like the latter is delivered with several grips; 13) promised accessory grip has both horizontal and vertical A-S grooves, holds a second battery (automatic switching when in-camera battery approaches discharge), vertical release button plus two control wheels and two function buttons. 14) a lens map for MDA and MDA* lenses includes several primes including rectilinear UAW down to 8mm, new 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f4 ultra-compacts; and an ultra compact 15-150mm normal zoom with a variable f2 to f4 aperture.

Release date? Maybe next April the First (did I catch you?)

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-01-2018 at 06:03 AM.
04-01-2018, 06:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You had me until ‘legacy MF lenses to operate normally ’ 😃

-Eric
04-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good one! 🐣🐇👌🏻✌🏻🤞
04-01-2018, 07:06 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It can never come close to competing with the greatest professional camera ever made...

Canon DL-9000 - mike eckman dot com

04-01-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You forgot the price - it's only $599 (I may have missed another 9 or two or three)
04-01-2018, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I love how you failed to include 4k video in the product -- such a realist spoof!!!!! Even the ultimate Pentax camera ignores video.
04-01-2018, 08:43 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Sorry, I'm busy congratulating kenspo for his switch to Canon - what is this thread about?

04-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
You certainly did. I forgot the date. Good job!
04-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After Kenspo's post I am a bit wary, so no you didn't catch me out. But nice try!!
04-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There were other things I did not include: 1) the new MDA/MDA* primes are designed by Voigtlander, but the lenses are in Pentax-designed AF mounts; 2) there are two "virtual dials" on the front, one on the right side of the lens cycles through aperture priority, shutter priority, manual exposure "X", 4 custom settings etc with each press, a half-press of the shutter release fixes the mode; the second virtual button to the left of the lens cycles through HDR, shake on/off, high ISO mode; pixel-shift mode etc. a half-press of the shutter release cycles through choices for each setting (eg: shake reduction on or off, or multiple levels of HDR) after which the next press of the left virtual dial locks in that setting; press and hold down the left virtual dial for three seconds to cancel any special settings = return to defaults. Each of the virtual dials has a sliding lock just below to prevent accidental changes; 3) in development there is also a "virtual camera" slightly larger than a typical P&S, with both a rear screen and a large EVF at the range-finder, upper-left position, there's no lens or lens mount, no sensor and no card slot but the little body otherwise has all the wheels & buttons that are on the new APS-C body, and you guessed it, you can control every feature by radio-remote control from the virtual body, and see what the camera sees either on the screen or through the EVF. Predicted price about 20% the price of the APS-C body; 4) also in development an m42 legacy lens adapter that has a magnetically operated plunger-like device that closes the old diaphragm pin when you half-press the shutter button so you can use "A" mode pretty much as you would with a KA MF lens (there's a slight shutter delay to allow the meter to work). The adapter also has a button that falls under your left index finger that activates the aperture-closing mechanism - press to close, press a second time to reopen. When used to close the aperture it eliminates the shutter delay.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-01-2018 at 12:02 PM.
04-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, maybe the folks at Pentax will read this and get some ideas of what to implement in the next model.....
04-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly, I have encountered a number of unsophisticated people who have paid $300 or more for that "Canon" camera at flea markets. I found a similar camera in a wholesale catalog for around $35. The bar of lead inside to make it have some heft is one of the endearing features.
04-01-2018, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had me till I read "mirror-less"...
04-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Your are just Plain Evil !
04-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn....here I am reading this April 3rd, thinking that Pentax is about to blow up the entire photographic world!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
While browsing the web I came across a site with an image of a prototype Pentax APS-C camera. Had to apply GOOGLE translate as the text was all in Japanese. Features: 1) APS-C with 42mp sensor(!); 2) mirrorless; 3) new lens mount that allows shallower body = smaller than the current KP; 3) comes with lens adapter that allows all current Pentax lenses to operate normally, with an optional adapter that allows legacy MF lenses to operate normally (limited by their intrinsic features); 4) another adapter allows all current Canon EOS lenses to attach with full function, including AF(!), with a promise for future adapters for Nikon, Leica R & M etc lenses; 5) built-in radio-controlled pTTL flash to operate an included 2AA mini strobe (no pop-up), with updated 360 and 540 flash units controllable by the radio-remote to be released soon; 6) flash syncs up to 1/250 second with the mechanical shutter, but up to 1/2000 with the new electronic shutter; 7) as with existing MFT cameras, both mechanical and electronic shutters, but there is simultaneous all-pixel recording with the electronic so there's no problem with smearing and a top electronic speed of 1/64,000 second (!!!); 8) variable pixel selection, the sensor can combine adjacent pixels to lower the total count (down to 16mp) to reduce noise at high ISO and low-light situations, allowing a maximum ISO of 1,240,000 with essentially no noise whatever; 9) ultra-resolution mode that combines adjacent pixels as on current models, but does so instantaneously, in a single exposure (no tripod needed, can be used for subjects in motion) with IQ said to equal or surpass the best large sensors on the market (read Hasselblad-sized); apparently this is not used at all times because the processing and recording-to-card time causes a significant shot-to-shot delay; 10) a focus-stack mode claimed to be superior to that on some current MFT camera, with multiple settings that allows, for example, a sharp focus image of a large foreground object @ f1.4 leaving the background completely OOF with nice bokeh (if you're using the right lens); 11) a fully articulated rear screen with an automatic high-contrast mode for use in bright light; 12) a tilting EVF as on some existing MFT bodies; 13) the baseplate is metal and has Arca-Swiss grooves (slides on right/left not fore-aft) 12) overall the body is more compact and light than a current KP and like the latter is delivered with several grips; 13) promised accessory grip has both horizontal and vertical A-S grooves, holds a second battery (automatic switching when in-camera battery approaches discharge), vertical release button plus two control wheels and two function buttons. 14) a lens map for MDA and MDA* lenses includes several primes including rectilinear UAW down to 8mm, new 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f4 ultra-compacts; and an ultra compact 15-150mm normal zoom with a variable f2 to f4 aperture.

Release date? Maybe next April the First (did I catch you?)