Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #61

For those dreaming about a Pentax mirrorless. Ricoh already has the GR series which would be the natural brand under which to develop mirrorless. No mount compatibility issues, a more futuristic branding etc. Only downside is that people love the GR so much that any changes will cause outrage! Lots of good photographers love the GR though and it's well known.

Pentax has a lot going with the viewfinder heritage, k-01 not withstanding.

04-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Will we see an updated APS-C flagship camera in the future?

“For the flagship APS-C model, we have just started to develop that. It’ll be the successor of the K-3 II and will be an evolution of the K-3 series.
Indeed, the successor to K-3 II will be something different from the K-3 series (what the guy calls "an evolution") with a new naming.
04-06-2018, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Oh come on, they did, they called it a "Field Camera" right from day one.

Should Canon say in their 1DX marketing material "it's not that great a landscape camera" Should Nikon say the D850 "is not that great an action camera". Learn to read and interpret market speak. No one pays to publish a bunch of negatives, no matter how true, in their marketing material, unless the government passes legislation forcing them too.

What camera isn't limited in some way? Where is this perfect camera that doesn't need a disclaimer according to that logic?

Personally I'm really happy to have a better than D810 for landscape camera for a fraction the cost. I didn't have to pay for what I don't need. You sound like you're upset that you got what you paid for. I paid for a K-3 with twice the sensor size at less than twice the cost. That's what I wanted, that's what i got. To me it's a bargain.

It is however disappointing that others thought they were getting something else. I'm definitely not convinced that's Pentax's fault, or that there is something they should have done better.
Surely you could detect a vein of sarcasm in my post? Do you really think that Pentax wants to produce cameras that are so limited in scope? Or would claim to do so?

Look at the new lens selection - if they were producing a camera solely intended for landscapes wouldn't all the new lenses be f4? Who's going to buy the new 50mm 1.4 to shoot landscapes wide open?

I think it's been repeated many times by different users, that the K-1's autofocus is not always good enough. There's a lot of variability, depending on lens etc... I can nail results on certain lenses but then have to work harder on other lenses... and I'm not talking about BIF or anything fancy. sometimes my camera has trouble locking on to stationary objects. Frankly, Pentax should have been able to release a camera with decent AF - that is by no means asking too much.

There's some talk that the new K1 2 has got a completely rehashed autofocus algorithm. That will be interesting to see, and probably bring me in to upgrade.
04-06-2018, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
No, while the K-01 has a focal plane shutter, it just goes "click".
Yet even Pentax DSLRs as advanced as the K-1 still do the "flop-click-flop" thing in Live View.
Only when you first enter live view. The camera has to move the mirror out of the way. You can then take as many LV photos as you want and the mirror stays up, until you exit LV and return to OVF shooting.

[EDIT]: Got out my K-01 and tested side-by-side vs. K-1 They behave identically, but the IBIS system in K-01 is so much smaller it sounds different. Try it in Continuous Shooting - the mirror does not flip between shots.

The shutter on both always cycles open after a moment after a shot (or series of shots) while it is processing the data. Otherwise the LCD would be dark while the shutter is closed. That’s what you are hearing. *

* If you use image review (push the blue button) the camera temporarily exits LV.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-07-2018 at 11:27 AM.
04-06-2018, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Surely you could detect a vein of sarcasm in my post? Do you really think that Pentax wants to produce cameras that are so limited in scope? Or would claim to do so?

Look at the new lens selection - if they were producing a camera solely intended for landscapes wouldn't all the new lenses be f4? Who's going to buy the new 50mm 1.4 to shoot landscapes wide open?

I think it's been repeated many times by different users, that the K-1's autofocus is not always good enough. There's a lot of variability, depending on lens etc... I can nail results on certain lenses but then have to work harder on other lenses... and I'm not talking about BIF or anything fancy. sometimes my camera has trouble locking on to stationary objects. Frankly, Pentax should have been able to release a camera with decent AF - that is by no means asking too much.

There's some talk that the new K1 2 has got a completely rehashed autofocus algorithm. That will be interesting to see, and probably bring me in to upgrade.
Maybe - you inferred it - your (and our) AF problem has been ‘with certain lenses’ rather than with the camera(s) all along.

.:
04-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Pentax has already stated that they have limited resources, and still people keep asking for a camera with limited sales prospects...
A 1000$ FF (if even possible) would be extremely limited in capability, and most people would rather spend the extra $ to get the K1, which does a bit of everything, and save buying 2 cameras. So much for sales prospects.
And, like others have said earlier, the margins are low, and it's unlikely they'd be generating sales in expensive lenses, so it's a [very few] win - [Pentax] lose business proposition. You get approval for that in parliament (everyday), not in a company board.

And don't forget the "cool" factor: if you buy a FF for the price of a mobile phone that's used by people that take the bus to work, you'll be seen as a FF wannabe, not a "specialized photographer that doesn't need a big bucks camera to take awesome pictures". How many wouldn't care about that?
Wasn't "asking", just raising it as an idea ... I'm more than happy with my K-1s.

What's "cool" ?
04-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #67
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe - you inferred it - your (and our) AF problem has been ‘with certain lenses’ rather than with the camera(s) all along.

.:
I was about to suggest the same thing. Maybe he is playing focus roulette with other brands in low contrast situations. Since I got my KP I haven't played that game and the K-1 has similar or better AF from what the specifications show.
04-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I was about to suggest the same thing. Maybe he is playing focus roulette with other brands in low contrast situations. Since I got my KP I haven't played that game and the K-1 has similar or better AF from what the specifications show.
I have plenty of premium Pentax lenses that have trouble focusing on K-1 and KP, the most recent being D FA100/2.8 Macro. My ring motor and DC lenses are snappy and (once tuned) spot-on.

.:

04-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Fast lenses were not necessarily developed to be used wide open, but more as focusing aids. In the days of manual focus lenses, you needed all the light you could get to properly focus the image. Wider apertures sped up the process and were important for a lot of situations. Autofocus speed is also improved by have more light available to the sensors.
04-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@Dericali :
Of course it's not a camera solely intended for landscapes; it's a camera made by Pentax' strengths - and marketed as such. Pentax definitely doesn't intend to limit themselves to landscapes; the K-1 is just great in this field.
And making lenses dedicated solely to whatever the K-1 did great is not a such good idea... what about the next camera, and the next, and the next?

It's easy to say, they should have been able to do this and that - it's much harder if you try to do it yourself We know they're working on it, lens side (fast AF motors) and camera side (new algorithms).
04-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Autofocus speed is also improved by have more light available to the sensors.
The separator mask opening is what determines how much light will reach the AF sensors, Most separator masks only allow for around f/7.
Extra light from a f/1.4 lens will not hit the AF sensors
04-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems to me for a head and shoulders shot you’d want a12” zone of focus so f/1.4 is pointless for that use on a 50. Manual focus is another matter. I want all th light i can get.
04-07-2018, 02:55 AM   #73

Btw. what word do the Ricoh people use in Japanese when they say 'develop' as in:

QuoteQuote:
For the flagship APS-C model, we have just started to develop that. It’ll be the successor of the K-3 II and will be an evolution of the K-3 series.
I'm wondering about the connotations and stuff lost in translation (and also how the Japanese may miss nuances when speaking in English..).
04-07-2018, 06:08 AM   #74
Pentaxian

I have plenty of premium Pentax lenses that have trouble focusing on K-1 and KP, the most recent being D FA100/2.8 Macro. My ring motor and DC lenses are snappy and (once tuned) spot-on.

.:
I'm glad I'm not the only one having focus consistency problems with the D FA100/2.8 Macro. I find that out of 10 test shots using Focus Tune software there will be at least three or four that miss focus badly on my K-3. The DC and ring drive lens are very consistent.

Larry
04-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one having focus consistency problems with the D FA100/2.8 Macro. I find that out of 10 test shots using Focus Tune software there will be at least three or four that miss focus badly on my K-3. The DC and ring drive lens are very consistent.

Larry
It doesn’t really matter to me. 99% of the time I use that lens supported and manual focus anyway. I can use the K105/2.8 or D FA28-105 for that FL and either is quite sharp enough.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-07-2018 at 07:29 AM.