Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
3 extra frames er second almost doubling the FPS rate, and a 23 shot buffer, ...
K-3 : Hi: 8.3 fps up to approx. 60 frames (JPG), up to approx. 23 frames (RAW)

K5 series: Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 34 frames (JPG), up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG) (firmware update required for the original K5 to have this buffer)

I've no comparison for the rest, but I understand the K3 to be 'slicker' in that reviewing shots etc. happen much faster. There's a reason I refuse to even pick one up until after my k5iis decides to croak on me, I'd rather not know first hand what I'm missing in terms of polish.

_____

Does it matter what bin a camera goes into? It doesn't change their capabilities, buy the one you want/need and can afford. At the end of the day, long as the K-3's replacement is a High-end-mid-ProAm-hyper-universal-advanced-camera-of-the-line APS-H, I think we'll all be happy.

04-08-2018, 07:50 AM   #107
Veteran Member

The problem is that Sony basically controls the CMOS chip market. What ever happened to the RGBW CMOS chip that Sony was supposed to be making? That chip was supposed to improve dynamic range and reduce noise levels at higher isos. That is why I was hopeful that Samsung would increase chip production and offer another alternative to Sony. Without competition, innovation stagnates.
04-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
K-3 : Hi: 8.3 fps up to approx. 60 frames (JPG), up to approx. 23 frames (RAW)

K5 series: Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 34 frames (JPG), up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG) (firmware update required for the original K5 to have this buffer)

I've no comparison for the rest, but I understand the K3 to be 'slicker' in that reviewing shots etc. happen much faster. There's a reason I refuse to even pick one up until after my k5iis decides to croak on me, I'd rather not know first hand what I'm missing in terms of polish.

_____

Does it matter what bin a camera goes into? It doesn't change their capabilities, buy the one you want/need and can afford. At the end of the day, long as the K-3's replacement is a High-end-mid-ProAm-hyper-universal-advanced-camera-of-the-line APS-H, I think we'll all be happy.
See, now those numbers really surprise me, because there was such huge difference in the filed, and I never got anywhere close to 7 FPS with a K-5 but 8 FPS is pretty much the standard on my K-3. The K-3 was step back in Dynamic Range for landscape however. One not resolved until he K-70.

But as I said, I tried using the K-5 after a few months with the K-3, and it felt sluggish. AF speed, and FPS.
04-08-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
At 1/1000s You miss 997/1000 of the action at 3fps. At 7fps You miss 993/1000 of the action. Photography is about the decisive moment.

04-08-2018, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #110
Veteran Member

See, now those numbers really surprise me, because there was such huge difference in the filed, and I never got anywhere close to 7 FPS with a K-5 but 8 FPS is pretty much the standard on my K-3.
I just did a sound recording of my k5iis shutter, from the 1st sound peak to the 7th it's almost bang on 1 second (I didn't max out the buffer, but it maintained this rate for 20 shots when I stopped). Before, this I only 'knew' it was absurdly fast compared to my k100d's 2.5fps (which feels like a frozen slug compared to the k5iis ).

Could it be your metering, focus or other auto-type settings? Maybe some things slow the K5 down but are hardly noticeable on the k3?
04-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I just did a sound recording of my k5iis shutter, from the 1st sound peak to the 7th it's almost bang on 1 second (I didn't max out the buffer, but it maintained this rate for 20 shots when I stopped). Before, this I only 'knew' it was absurdly fast compared to my k100d's 2.5fps (which feels like a frozen slug compared to the k5iis ).

Could it be your metering, focus or other auto-type settings? Maybe some things slow the K5 down but are hardly noticeable on the k3?
It is entirely possible that over the couple of months since I moved on, I just forgot how to use the K-5, or didn't check my settings.

If you have a camera you are comfortable with, you probably don't put your best foot forward trying to use your old camera. Who knows, all I know is one session in the blind cured me of the idea of using my K-5 as a back up for the K-3.
04-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
What's odd about the classification in your opinion? The small difference in functionality between K-5 II and K-3?
The fact that K10D / K20D / K-7 / K-5 / K-5 II(s) / K-3 / K-3 II are not classified in the same category.

04-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #113
Banned

But as I said, I tried using the K-5 after a few months with the K-3, and it felt sluggish. AF speed, and FPS.
With af-c the K-5 went down to 2,9 fps and that maybe feels sluggish.
04-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #114
Pentaxian

It's fixed.
What is it and how was it fixed?
04-08-2018, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #115
Pentaxian

To get back on topic, the quote of an article published today by Digital Photography Review:
QuoteOriginally posted by Barney Britton, Digital Photography Review:
The only manufacturer we spoke to in Japan that appeared uninterested in talking about mirrorless development was Ricoh. I suspect that this is partly strategic and partly also driven by necessity. The R&D resources required to tool up and launch a new system into (presumably, before too long) a crowded market may simply be prohibitive - especially given that the company has only recently started to dip its toes into full-frame digital.

At least for now, it looks as if we can expect little more from Ricoh than consolidation of the existing K-series DSLR lineup and probably a GR II successor of some kind, at some point in the future. A proportion of die-hard Pentax fans will be disappointed by this, but I expect that many simply won’t care. The K-1 II and the imminent arrival of a new 50mm F1.4 represent (at least) a continued investment in the company’s core user-base, and that's probably enough to keep the loyalists happy for now.
CP+ 2018 interviews: The reign of the DSLR is almost over...: Digital Photography Review
04-08-2018, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #116
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
What is it and how was it fixed?
Maybe normhead neutered it
04-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
To get back on topic, the quote of an article published today by Digital Photography Review:

CP+ 2018 interviews: The reign of the DSLR is almost over...: Digital Photography Review
Not a coincidence, Ricoh Imaging is the only DSLR maker whose DSLR system is not yet "complete" (for some definition of complete including at least the lenses on the roadmap).
04-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #118
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

Let's see what Canon and Nikon are going to do. They can still go the route of the K-01 and use their current mount from dslr for mirrorless.
04-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
go the route of the K-01 and use their current mount from dslr for mirrorless.
NO chance, Nikon have already patented Z mount lens designs.Also with Canon already having M/L Apsc and an adapter to EF/s,its likely their FF M/L will have its own mount.They have resources to develop them.
04-08-2018, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
At 1/1000s You miss 997/1000 of the action at 3fps. At 7fps You miss 993/1000 of the action. Photography is about the decisive moment.
"Decisive Moment" doesn't really require motor drive at all. The original concept went with where to aim the camera and when to press the shutter ... not with how long you can hold it down.