Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 194 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2018, 02:27 AM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Nikon D7500 vs Pentax K-3 Detailed Comparison
K-3II can hardly compete with D7500...GPS, Pixel-shift and astrotracer are rather special advantages.

Canon 7DII is older than K-3II !!! Announced on September, 2014.
K-3II is announced on April, 23, 2015.

Nikon D500 was announced on January, 5, 2016.
I thought you were talking about the K3, not the K3 II. That is what you mentioned in your initial post that I quoted. I agree that at the point at which the K3 II was released there were higher end cameras available than the K3 II. It still is considered high end APS-C by Pentax (although its price is significantly lower than the 7D II and D7500).

04-09-2018, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think the Q lenses were made by Cosina and the cameras were assembled in the compact camera facility that was closed down, then declared Impaired by Ricoh and transferred to B2B.

So yes, dead.
Again! No, by Nidec-Copal.
04-09-2018, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just out of interest, how do those discussing these topics think that any new cameras would improve their images, except at the far extremes, perhaps ? Not trying to be contentious, just wondering ...
04-09-2018, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Again! No, by Nidec-Copal.
Yikes! I stand corrected again. But not by Pentax.

04-09-2018, 04:42 AM   #140
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Just out of interest, how do those discussing these topics think that any new cameras would improve their images, except at the far extremes, perhaps ? Not trying to be contentious, just wondering ...
If you have a broken camera you need to replace, I would think that a new camera can improve the images you capture with 100%.

BTW, when I recently replaced my K7 with K3 II, it was not only the far extremes that was improved.

Last edited by Fogel70; 04-09-2018 at 04:48 AM.
04-09-2018, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #141
Pentaxian

As camera's improve they are taking over technical aspects of photography. Photographers will need less and less skill to make tecnhically perfect photo's. Even the basic rules of composition could be programmed into camera's. In the end the human will just be the one holding the camera and pointing it into a general direction. The rest is automation. Somebody should make camera's completely autonomous because holding and pointing takes effort. These robotic supercamera's will only create prize winning images all the time.
04-09-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
As camera's improve they are taking over technical aspects of photography. Photographers will need less and less skill to make tecnhically perfect photo's. Even the basic rules of composition could be programmed into camera's. In the end the human will just be the one holding the camera and pointing it into a general direction. The rest is automation. Somebody should make camera's completely autonomous because holding and pointing takes effort. These robotic supercamera's will only create prize winning images all the time.
Photographer free cameras. What a fantastic idea Just pay for it and reap the benefits of social media 'likes' .

First autonomous version: control it from the comfort of your car/sitting room. Guess that's called a drone.
Second version: unwrap; charge up; open front door; put feet up with a beer; and watch the 'likes' clock up.

04-09-2018, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #143
Pentaxian

Photographer free cameras. What a fantastic idea Just pay for it and reap the benefits of social media 'likes' .

First autonomous version: control it from the comfort of your car/sitting room. Guess that's called a drone.
Second version: unwrap; charge up; open front door; put feet up with a beer; and watch the 'likes' clock up.
The camera do not even need a lens or image sensor, only internet connection and GPS.
Then it can download the best image already captured from that position.
04-09-2018, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #144

Pentax could release a high spec APS very quickly by doing a K1ii on it: take the sensor/AU from the KP, put in the latest AF, HH PixelShift, and maybe a couple small improvements (UHS SD), and voila, K3iii.
All of these have been tried and tested, so it should be little more than integrating them (and fitting them) in the K3 body.
There are (obviously) many reasons why they'd choose to ignore this option, like not wanting to lessen demand for the new(?) camera they're working on, or resource limitations.

Anyway, they should take into consideration that, like corporations, people have budgets, and do need to plan their purchases. I understand the need for keeping your plans hidden from the competition, but I don't think a timeframe for "something" would make said competition jump. It's not like they're afraid Pentax will take away a good number of sales.
04-09-2018, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The camera do not even need a lens or image sensor, only internet connection and GPS.
Then it can download the best image already captured from that position.
That's cheating ...
04-09-2018, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #146
Pentaxian

Ya, and according to a Pop Mechanics I bought about 1980, we'd all be driving aircraft that resemble drones by now. People who make predictions of future technology have a very poor track record, both out in the real world and here on the forum.

The point being, most of us do photography as a hobby. An automated task with no skill required is not a hobby. You could say baseball will soon be played with robots playing all the position, humans won't be involved.

It's not about getting pictures, that's the small part, engaging with the environment and capturing what you see is the positive part. Given the physical skills of my 20s again, I'd be shooting with a 4x5 film view camera. This DSLR stuff is old man technology for the mentally and physically infirm. I'm glad it's here for me. I'm sad it's here for guys under 40.

The argument seems to be, it's better for me if i don't have to know what I'm doing.
My argument would be, you'll never be as good as a guy who does know what he's doing. Maybe technology will raise overall image quality, that's not given, but maybe, but there will always be people less and more creative than yourself. You might change the photographic bar, you won't reduce everyone to some common denominator where the worst are as good as the best.

You're always going to have to know stuff. Especially since so many great images are go against conventional wisdom.

Be careful what you wish for.
04-09-2018, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A K-1ll won’t change anything. K10D > K-3 did. K-3 > K-1 did. I am finally able to manual focus all my lenses, which had been my goal for a decade. More efficient and more comfortable.

That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be excited about new models. I don’t buy a new car every year, but I certainly read about them. Lately a new car most certainly does change the efficiency and comfort of getting from place to place.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-09-2018 at 06:59 AM.
04-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #148
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
Pentax could release a high spec APS very quickly by doing a K1ii on it: take the sensor/AU from the KP, put in the latest AF, HH PixelShift, and maybe a couple small improvements (UHS SD), and voila, K3iii.
All of these have been tried and tested, so it should be little more than integrating them (and fitting them) in the K3 body.
There are (obviously) many reasons why they'd choose to ignore this option, like not wanting to lessen demand for the new(?) camera they're working on, or resource limitations.
The same is for upgrading the GRII with 24mp and new image processing from KP.

The simplyest explanation for this not coming is not enough sales to make this new or extra model. Ricoh-Imaging announced to trim down the camera line and that is what happend. Now it is K-70, KP and K-1ii for K-mount. Once the KP is up for replacement this could be done with a little higher spec camera in the line of K-3iii but with a new name.
04-09-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #149
Pentaxian

Yours is a good question even if some might find it contentious.

I can only answer for myself with a resounding "yes" and the primary improvement is in high-ISO image quality. Much of the photography that I like to do takes place in low lighting conditions (forest floor macro, travel to museums, dark cathedrals, dusk, and night). Back in my film days, I shot ASA 800 and 1000 color film which was like taking pictures on gravel. And the early digital cameras were even worse. The improvements from the K10D, to K-5, to K-1 have been most welcome. Not only does high ISO improve my images in dim light, it also improves them in better light if I want to use f/32 for a macro shot or 1/8000 second shutter speed to freeze motion. Better high-ISO performance expands the range of EVs where picture taking is possible and expands the exposure triangle at almost all EVs. (I also love IBIS for the same reasons. But aside from the fact that it makes me pick Pentax over Canikon, I've not been affected by improvements in IBIS over the years.)

I do have to admit that as much as I like more megapixels, pixel shift, astrotracer, and the shallow DoF of full-frame, that these features do fall into "far extremes" categories of improvements. Those features may not enhance the bulk of my photography but they sure are a nice bonus when buying a new camera.

P.S. I do plan to upgrade my K-1 to a K-1ii. Another EV of high-ISO performance will be welcome.
04-09-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The simplyest explanation for this not coming is not enough sales to make this new or extra model. Ricoh-Imaging announced to trim down the camera line and that is what happend. Now it is K-70, KP and K-1ii for K-mount. Once the KP is up for replacement this could be done with a little higher spec camera in the line of K-3iii but with a new name.
Some on here have forgotten a comment made by a Pentax rep back in January or February. He said they had hoped the K3ii replacement would be ready by now (i.e. the time of his comments. Jan/Feb 18) but the project had been delayed. Maybe to some the simplest explanation is that they only intend to produce 3 K mount cameras at a time. For me the simplest explanation is that they are working on the K3x but it is not yet ready. We could speculate endlessly about why they are not ready, but that would be departing from the simplest reason.