Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2018, 03:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
this kind a news are most of us with K-1 original waiting...for the decision of making the upgrade. I’m doing it.edit:
do you know if focus nordick is doing them?
Good Choice No, but they have organized it. Its Fovi.no in Norway..Dont remember who in the other nordic countries..But I can ask again

04-10-2018, 04:00 AM   #32
Pentaxian

The kind of "some of the noise goes away, details are still there" stop better? If so, that's nice to hear (though not unexpected). Seeing the output from accelerator-equipped cameras, I thought the K-1 would benefit from it, too (and, proof that great minds thinks alike Pentax did it!)
I'm also assuming the context is poorly lit - with weird light - rock concerts.

I might be doing the upgrade after all... what sort of stops me is the most hideous of problems with my K-1: the dreaded Hand Grip Creak.
04-10-2018, 04:00 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would say that people who are satisfied with their K-1 cameras won't be upgrading. Those who find the original K-1 cameras to be deficient in some way will look seriously at the K-1 II to see if it will fix the areas they struggle with.

It is no secret the AF-C isn't great on the K-1. For a side shot of flying birds, it might be adequate, but it might not. I'm not shooting BIF so I have a difficult time telling, but I will say that I don't use AF-C much when taking photos of my kids with the K-1 because it feels as though it is often off a little -- even when using the DFA zooms.
I wouldn’t say I’m unsatisfied. I’d simply rather not need a KP to capture my grandchildren taking their first walking steps in addition to the K-1.
04-10-2018, 04:09 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The kind of "some of the noise goes away, details are still there" stop better? If so, that's nice to hear (though not unexpected).
Yes

I'm also assuming the context is poorly lit - with weird light - rock concerts.
Bad lights, LED, a lot of smoke etc

I might be doing the upgrade after all... what sort of stops me is the most hideous of problems with my K-1: the dreaded Hand Grip Creak.
Say what? hehe...Maybe sell K-1 and buy a new K-1II?

04-10-2018, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Good Choice No, but they have organized it. Its Fovi.no in Norway..Dont remember who in the other nordic countries..But I can ask again
okay! thanks!
04-10-2018, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The opinions from experience of real photographers like Kenspo are worth more than most tests you'll ever read, there are a few Pentaxians that I absorb the opinions of and in time I usually agree with them.

I traded my K1 in for a K1 II, not for any deficiency reason (it is a superb camera IMO) but for the areas of evolutionary improvement stated by Ricoh in their marketing. I'm not competent enough to test and give hard facts and figures on how much better (or not) the new version may be, but from my couple of weeks of shooting I would share the view that high ISO is at least 1 stop better and the Autofocus seems quicker to lock-on to subjects. I don't think we're going to be able to definitively prove that Birds in Flight shots will be captured n% more often with the MkII for some time, and even high ISO comparisons are a bit subjective (the images are manipulated/smoothed/pre-processed by the camera) so the "look" may not be to the taste of everyone.

The K1 II is an evolution not a revolution (a favourite phrase often applicable to Pentax) and it is not time for everyone to ditch their first generation models, just do it if you want to

p.s. When I say "Real Photographers" I am not trying to run anyone down - I'm just talking about people who do it professionally, semi-professionally, and the like who have a lot of everyday experience in the field - Not like me who takes several thousand images of averageness and below per year
04-10-2018, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Exactly. Real life experience is whats matter!!
I think that the real life experience is subjective and that a DxO test is meaningless... I think more in an easily understandable side by side comparison, as DPR.

However I think that most is a "lost in translation" discussion, I'm really happy to read your impressions but for my way of thinking I have to see instead of read.

04-10-2018, 05:34 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Say what? hehe...Maybe sell K-1 and buy a new K-1II?
This is an option, too - assuming I won't lose much money.
Anyone wants to buy a K-1 with the dreaded Hand Grip Creak syndrome?
04-10-2018, 05:42 AM - 3 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

...but when I'm back, Im gonna do some big ass prints...
Just out of curiosity, who's ass?
04-10-2018, 06:28 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is an option, too - assuming I won't lose much money.
Anyone wants to buy a K-1 with the dreaded Hand Grip Creak syndrome?
Hand grip creak? Not aware of this...
04-10-2018, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Happened with a few K-1s... as you squeeze the hand grip's bottom section (below the IR sensor), it "give way" a bit with a very slight creak. Apparently it doesn't affect weather sealing.
04-10-2018, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I think that the real life experience is subjective and that a DxO test is meaningless... I think more in an easily understandable side by side comparison, as DPR.

However I think that most is a "lost in translation" discussion, I'm really happy to read your impressions but for my way of thinking I have to see instead of read.
If you believe that DPR is the end all be all for DSLR information you are just lowering your credibility here since they can't even get simple facts correct when discussing Pentax.
04-10-2018, 06:55 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Just out of curiosity, who's ass?
Ass prints he says, could be interesting. What kind of event is this I wonder.
04-10-2018, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Ass prints he says, could be interesting. What kind of event is this I wonder.
Perhaps it's low-key donkeys? Maybe some B&W burros?

(As long as there's no animal husbandry, it will be alright.)
04-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
If you believe that DPR is the end all be all for DSLR information you are just lowering your credibility here since they can't even get simple facts correct when discussing Pentax.
No, DPR is in my black list . I mean "as DPR" with their studio scene, I can also sadly add that the only ISO comparison will be that from DPR and this makes me mad because RICOH seems their sworn enemy. I think that us, as Pentaxians, have to avoid this and produce a reliable comparison.