Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I'm not sure about that. I believe the switch to Samsung offered the chance for Pentax to secure their sensors in a timely fashion. Back when they were with Sony, Nikon always got the initial run of sensors, thus Pentax couldn't manufacture their product the same time Nikon would. With Sony now also making their own DSLRs, I'd imagine how much slower Pentax would've been able to get their supply of sensors from Sony. Anyway, that's what I read some time back, not totally sure if it's real or just a myth, but the argument does hold water for me.
That's no myth unfortunately. Pentax always got their supplies after Nikon and now that Sony is in the game... it would take even longer. Pentax really had no choice but to find another supplier. It does not mean Pentax won't touch Sony sensors anymore, just that they have another secured sensor source.

Going with Samsung was no wrong idea and looking at their first Aps-c sensor (the one from the K20D) I think it was a smart idea in the end

09-07-2008, 12:21 AM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With micro 4/3 removing the inner mirror box, you pretty much have a rangefinder w/Liveview (only)... put another way, a quality point & shoot w/interchangeable lenses that'll be a fraction of today's size!

Not sure if I wanna sign-up yet, but I think maybe so. I just think Pentax better cozy-up & play else they'll be like a deaf person playing musical chairs...
09-07-2008, 02:34 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That's no myth unfortunately. Pentax always got their supplies after Nikon and now that Sony is in the game... it would take even longer. Pentax really had no choice but to find another supplier. It does not mean Pentax won't touch Sony sensors anymore, just that they have another secured sensor source.

Going with Samsung was no wrong idea and looking at their first Aps-c sensor (the one from the K20D) I think it was a smart idea in the end
Then, like the 6mp sensor there will be many new models with the same sensor and increasingly improving IQ via better A/D converters. 14.6mpx could be "just good" even for the next decade [entry and amateur level ofc].
09-07-2008, 04:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Then, like the 6mp sensor there will be many new models with the same sensor and increasingly improving IQ via better A/D converters. 14.6mpx could be "just good" even for the next decade [entry and amateur level ofc].
I depends how Samsung does at it but I wouldn't be surprised from Pentax still using old 10Mpix Sony CCD in the new camera, just as the Nikon D60.

The Samsung 14.7 however would be cool, but I'd be surprised.

09-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am impatient to see that K20D Plus on the Photokina...
My credit card too ;-)
09-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
With micro 4/3 removing the inner mirror box, you pretty much have a rangefinder w/Liveview (only)... put another way, a quality point & shoot w/interchangeable lenses that'll be a fraction of today's size!
<=== (* hates liveview *)

Nothing has come close to the speed & precision of an optical viewfinder so far. I expect to see DSLRs on the sidelines for sporting events, news, and anywhere that a tripod is impractical.

As an old newspaper pro, I don't think I'll ever make the change over unless my work takes me to the studio almost exclusively.
09-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #22

Well, I hope you are right and Pentax choosed well when changed the sensor supplier.

Time will tell if it was a good move.

PS. I've just in vove of the Nikon's FF 12 Mpx sensor , although I don't know if that was made by Sony.

Regarding the new Samsung camera would resemble more the older APX camera than the 110. That place is taken by Oly. Their sensor has the same dimension/format as the 110 : 17x13mm I think.
09-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlpenTak Quote
I couldn't find a thread on this, does anyone have any thoughts?

New Samsung Hybrid

A new mount? where does this leave Pentax?
Samsung wants to break into the four thirds system and perhaps dominate the new micro four thirds system. If you read all of the articles related to the link you posted, then you will also see Samsung has stated the ongoing relationship with Pentax will stay the way it is. The four thirds symtem DSLRs will run along side the GX series DSLRs which is the partership with Pentax; Pentax bodies hardware and firmware, with now Samsung produced CMOS sensors (K20D). They are even hinting about a new full frame sensor which will be placed in the GX series bodies. Samsung wants it to be an impact in the DSLR market and the partenership with Pentax helps. They are trying a new angle with the new micro four thirds system but I don't think anything will happen to the relationship with Pentax in the near future.

Last edited by res3567; 09-08-2008 at 09:44 PM.
09-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #24
Forum Member

I think that big sensors in small bodies like the four-third is the future of current p&s because they can't decently go beyond what they have today in terms of IQ. But putting an aps-c sensor in such cameras could easily render the actual DSLR (mirror box, prisms, optical view) obsoletes or reserved for high end use, using FF sensors and for professionals. Time will tell
09-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I totally agree with you on this one. The sensor Samsung has made is really good, and I could see them making full use of this for a couple of years still, making its way down to the consumer level. A laudable effort by Samsung, no doubt.

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Samsung wants to break into the four thirds system and perhaps dominate the new micro four thirds system. If you read all of the articles related to the link you posted, then you will also see Samsung has stated the ongoing relationship with Pentax will stay the way it is. The four thirds symtem DSLRs will run along side the GX series DSLRs which is the partership with Pentax; Pentax bodies hardware and firmware, with now Samsung produced CMOS sensors (K20D). The are even hinting about a new full frame sensor which will be placed in the GX series bodies. Samsung wants it to be an impact in the DSLR market and the partenership with Pentax helps. They are trying a new angle with the new micro four thirds system but I don't think anything will happen to the relationship with Pentax in the near future.
I tried looking at the linked articles, but found no real definitive recent statement from Samsung regarding their current relationship with Pentax. In any case, I'm of the idea that their partnership will continue for a couple years more, at least. It would be very hard to introduce a new mount in this day and age, at least if one intends to go after full-frame at some point (which I deem necessary to secure the third spot - usual upgrade path appealing to consumers).

Then again, third place can also hinge on the strength of the micro interchangeable lens system, in which case, all bets are off.

We'll see what they have come Photokina. It's only a few days away anyway.