Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2008, 02:02 AM   #1

Samsung Hybrid

I couldn't find a thread on this, does anyone have any thoughts?

New Samsung Hybrid

A new mount? where does this leave Pentax?

09-06-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
Banned

it leaves pentax with a great partnership with a very large company that makes excellent camera imaging sensors.
09-06-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A new mount which has nothing to do with DSLRs...

Why would that affect Pentax in anyway except maybe more things to manufacture for Samsung?
09-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I'm quite excited about this, actually. A [quite] compact camera with an actually good image sensor, and unlike the Leica M8, affordable to us mere mortals. And who knows, it may have the provision to fit K-mount lenses with an adaptor, and all sorts of other crazy things.
I just hope they can come up with an acceptably good EVF, and/or include an optional optical viewfinder like the one for the Sigma DP1.

09-06-2008, 03:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by s閍muis Quote
it leaves pentax with a great partnership with a very large company that makes excellent camera imaging sensors.
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
A new mount which has nothing to do with DSLRs...

Why would that affect Pentax in anyway except maybe more things to manufacture for Samsung?
There is no guarantee that Pentax will have this partner forever, if Samsung decide that this hybrid format is the way forward not DSLRs then what makes you think that they will automatically drag Pentax along with them?

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
I'm quite excited about this, actually. A [quite] compact camera with an actually good image sensor, and unlike the Leica M8, affordable to us mere mortals. And who knows, it may have the provision to fit K-mount lenses with an adaptor, and all sorts of other crazy things.
I just hope they can come up with an acceptably good EVF, and/or include an optional optical viewfinder like the one for the Sigma DP1.
That's how I see it too, a digital Leica for the masses, I'm sure I'd buy one.

I'm pretty excited about Micro Four Thirds and this "Hybrid" format, there could be a lot of twists and turns in the future, who knows which company will be number 1 in five years time, it could be Olympus, Samsung, Pentax or even some company that we don't know of yet.
09-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AlpenTak Quote
There is no guarantee that Pentax will have this partner forever, if Samsung decide that this hybrid format is the way forward not DSLRs then what makes you think that they will automatically drag Pentax along with them?
There's no guarantee that Samsung will not drop the ball completely given the margins on P&S are crap and their market share on DSLR is basicaly zero.

There's no guarantee that Pentax will not ditch Samsung now that Hoya is on board and no longer needs Samsung other than contractual sensor supplier.

There's no guarantee that this new mount will even make it to market nor will it sell in any way.

Why do you [and others] need to think everything will explode tomorrow because you saw a bird on your left rather than on your right?
09-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The Samsung hybrid and Pana/Oly micro could be the next big thing or APS film fiasco. Who knows? Everyone counted Nintendo out of the video game business 4 years ago. Now they own it with the Wii and DS.

Maybe this new camera will use the Pentax A110 mount!
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #10 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #11. Any camera brand. Any subject. Enter now.
09-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Why do you [and others] need to think everything will explode tomorrow because you saw a bird on your left rather than on your right?
Er... I don't.

I started this thread to discuss the news, after all it is a news section but if we are talking guarantees here then the only guarantee is that if anyone says anything in this forum then a Pentax fanboy will jump on them within seconds for any silly reason.

The thing is, I'm probably more of a Pentax "fanboy" than most people and will defend them against just about anything, yet here I am being accused of forecasting their downfall like some Pentax hating doom-monger, all because I tried to start an intelligent conversation about some genuine news.

You wonder why a lot of people avoid this section...

Thanks to the others for trying to make conversation.

09-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #9

Mount aside, making a lens requires also glass, multicoating, and many mechanical parts. And what Hoya/Pentax are producers of? Glass, coatings etc. etc. don't understimate the power of Pentax as OEM producer!

Seems like Sigma don't care so much if everybody uses their lenses in many different mounts
09-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
Mount aside, making a lens requires also glass, multicoating, and many mechanical parts. And what Hoya/Pentax are producers of? Glass, coatings etc. etc. don't underestimate the power of Pentax as OEM producer!
Nail on the head. I see a Leica-Panasonic-like relationship here, which seems to have been very fruitful for both companies. As for sensors, as long as Samsung is making the sensors Pentax can buy them for their own cameras.
09-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #11

In my opinion it should have been better that pentax stays with Sony as sensor supplier. The K20D would have had the sensor used today in Nikon D300, D90 and Sony A700 and more, would have known the performace of the Sony A900 ( 无忌论坛 - 今年咱高坐楼台,Sony新兵排队(3) ) with the only stabilised full frame sensor on the market. I have the impression that choosing Samsung they took it all over again. I have no doubt that Samsung have experience in making dSLR sensors (Sony, I think, has even more experience) but ... .
09-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

ITS THE RETURN OF THE 110 SLR!!!!
Well potentialy something like it atleast.
Something like this has been in speculation all over all the cameracompanies for years though (Smaller body w/ smaller lenses, but much smaller like the 110 pentax had)
Honestly it could benifit pentax/hoya as having them being pressed into making/remaking their older 110 lenses, updated for af, and digital coatings.
09-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
In my opinion it should have been better that pentax stays with Sony as sensor supplier. The K20D would have had the sensor used today in Nikon D300, D90 and Sony A700 and more, would have known the performace of the Sony A900 ( 无忌论坛 - 今年咱高坐楼台,Sony新兵排队(3) ) with the only stabilised full frame sensor on the market. I have the impression that choosing Samsung they took it all over again. I have no doubt that Samsung have experience in making dSLR sensors (Sony, I think, has even more experience) but ... .
I'm not sure about that. I believe the switch to Samsung offered the chance for Pentax to secure their sensors in a timely fashion. Back when they were with Sony, Nikon always got the initial run of sensors, thus Pentax couldn't manufacture their product the same time Nikon would. With Sony now also making their own DSLRs, I'd imagine how much slower Pentax would've been able to get their supply of sensors from Sony. Anyway, that's what I read some time back, not totally sure if it's real or just a myth, but the argument does hold water for me.

I would agree that Sony does make good sensors. Heck, Nikon's current success is partly built on the strength of Sony's sensors. But Samsung's first foray into the APS-C sensor realm isn't too shabby also, and I feel the K20D's sensor competes well with Sony's 12MP. Give them more time, and they'd also be able to improve more.

As for stabilized FF, I'm not too sure that Sony would even disclose that info to Nikon (unless they paid for it). It's a totally different tech, and a patented one, at that. I believe the sensor and the mechanism for stabilization are distinct from one another, and buying Sony's FF sensor would only get you just that, the sensor. I would imagine how secretive Sony must be of their FF stabilization system, knowing that their in-body stabilization is the key difference and marketing point between their FF body and others, aside from the MP count. There have been a lot of naysayers saying that it (in-body stabilization) couldn't be done at FF level.
09-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
The problem with using Sony sensors, is that Pentax would always be late to the game as Nikon has been able to have Sony agree to their exclusive use for one year. Besides, the new Samsung CMOS sensor is better....

Mike.
09-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #15

Original Poster
I too think that the samsung sensor looks like the way forward.

That's one reason that this looks so exciting, if pentax is involved with the hybrid format then that will be something that canon, nikon and sony don't have and that can only be good for market presence.