Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 740 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2018, 07:21 PM   #316
Veteran Member

If most of you block MJK , nobody will worry about him and he will not get any answer. I block him and dont have to read his message

05-23-2018, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #317
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tokina must be pacing back and forth waiting for pentax to release this so they can release their version.
05-23-2018, 10:53 PM   #318
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Tokina must be pacing back and forth waiting for pentax to release this so they can release their version.
Who says they aren't facing the same production challenges?
05-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #319
Pentaxian

Screw drive lenses accuracy depends highly on their mechanical condition, mostly-grease and lubes parameters, that will degrade with age.That can go further to mechanical wear of other parts. If the lens is heavily used- conservation period adviced is no more than 5 years(clean, relube, tighten and adjust) for screw drive lens.

05-24-2018, 12:11 AM   #320
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Who says they aren't facing the same production challenges?
Who says they work to solve the production challenges?
Their standard might be different than Ricoh Imaging's.
05-24-2018, 12:19 AM   #321
Veteran Member

My 100mm WR is manufactured in 2018 and I have used it 3 times during the last 3 weeks it does the usual "zikk-zakk-zup" screw sound as 43mm ltd and 35mm ltd I used before that. It would require worm gear drive to make it accurate and not go into back-front-focus hunting loop. Not modern design and should be removed instantly. AND, it totally wrecks smooth focusing feel when using a macro instrument in manual focus mode (preferred way).
05-24-2018, 12:45 AM - 3 Likes   #322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
My 100mm WR is manufactured in 2018 and I have used it 3 times during the last 3 weeks it does the usual "zikk-zakk-zup" screw sound as 43mm ltd and 35mm ltd I used before that. It would require worm gear drive to make it accurate and not go into back-front-focus hunting loop. Not modern design and should be removed instantly. AND, it totally wrecks smooth focusing feel when using a macro instrument in manual focus mode (preferred way).
Sorry, but the gear train itself is only a part of the focussing process, and isn’t a major contributor to the problem you describe. The major problem with any given gear type is its propensity to backlash, which a worm drive can also exhibit. Removing or minimising the “hunting” motion (ie back and forth movement before settlling, if it does, at all) is the job of the control mechanism, which is almost always electronic, these days. Worm drives are mostly used where significant speed reductions are required (10 to 1 or greater), and gear trains or other forms take up too much space or produce too much backlash. They won’t solve a hunting issue, but the control process will.

05-24-2018, 12:56 AM   #323
Pentaxian

Then, you might consider getting your camera cleaned- especially the support mirror cleaning. It should definitely not behave this way. I made some test few weeks ago with my friends DA70 and DFA100WR that he considered broken, and on my camera both was always "on point" no matter what distance was used to test, on his, there was a serious hunting issue. We found that there was some moisture condensation spots left almost on center of his camera support mirror(the small one behind the main mirror), and that was the cause.
05-24-2018, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
If most of you block MJK , nobody will worry about him and he will not get any answer. I block him and dont have to read his message
To be honest, I think he's somebody who cares a lot about photography, pushes his systems hard, and has knowledge of different systems - agree or not, I think his voice is valuable here.
05-24-2018, 02:11 AM - 2 Likes   #325
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My 100mm WR is manufactured in 2018 and I have used it 3 times during the last 3 weeks it does the usual "zikk-zakk-zup" screw sound as 43mm ltd and 35mm ltd I used before that. It would require worm gear drive to make it accurate and not go into back-front-focus hunting loop.
The back and forth adjustments have nothing to do with play in the screw drive mechanism, especially on such a new lens. This is the AF algorithm making very fine adjustments based on feedback from PDAF or CDAF data. Actually, you can see the exact same thing happening on a number of electronically-driven lenses (I can show you it happening on my Sigma 17-50 f2.8, for instance). It's just not as audible.

Not modern design and should be removed instantly. AND, it totally wrecks smooth focusing feel when using a macro instrument in manual focus mode (preferred way).
I agree that screw drive isn't a modern design, and we can see that Pentax has been moving away from this with its more recent lenses. So that's good news, right? Of course, there's still a back-catalogue of the older screw drive models for those that want them. No sense in getting rid of those when they're so good optically, and until there are replacements (which will take some considerable time).

Again, though, it's the way you choose to express critique that takes away from what otherwise might be helpful opinions, and aggravates other members. To say that screw drive "totally wrecks smooth focusing feel" is such an exaggeration. Can we feel that there's a geared mechanism in play? Sure, a little. Does it "wreck" the feel? Of course not... at least, not on my copies of the 35mm Limited and DFA100/2.8 Macro.

If you want a nice, oil-damped manual focusing mechanism, buy a manual focus lens. Even my electronically-driven lenses don't feel as nice as a well-damped manual focus model.

As always, we choose our instruments based on our requirements.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-24-2018 at 02:22 AM.
05-24-2018, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #326
Veteran Member

Fair enough. No screw driving in this thread from my part anymore. I will write some notes when I get the lens in other thread. I may also get 50mm macro as it seems to be superb optically and provide "35mm ltd" experience in FF format.
05-24-2018, 04:48 AM   #327
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fair enough. No screw driving in this thread from my part anymore. I will write some notes when I get the lens in other thread. I may also get 50mm macro as it seems to be superb optically and provide "35mm ltd" experience in FF format.
I would think it would suit your kind of theatrical landscapes very well.

Since floating elements were introduced by Nikon in macro lenses, they perform very well at long distances as well.

05-26-2018, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #328
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I find his comments to be disingenuous. I am sure some people need the characteristics he demands, but a view camera might best for the pictures he actually takes. ISO=100 should be adequate for the pictures he takes; my squirrels move faster than his dead rabbit, and my K-30 is adequate for those most of the time.
05-26-2018, 07:10 AM - 5 Likes   #329
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I find his comments to be disingenuous.
I very much, strongly disagree. I do not think they are disingenuous, rather that he has particular requirements and strongly believes the tools must meet them, and if they don't then he sees that as a true issue. The first difficulty is that all of us, as far as I can tell, feel like his requirements are black swans, pretty rarified, far, far outside of our needs (the image of his frozen camera was enough to tell me that was true...I've used my Z at -28C and I failed long before it did---it never did, actually). The second difficulty seems to be that he has a hard time recognizing this. I'm not certain that his seeming emphatic nature translates well, linguistically or culturally.

I've seen this before with lots of other non-British Europeans (although new Brits have recently become a lot more abrasive to older ones and Americans) and some East Asians. Among my countrymen (with our many faults!!!!) such emphatic enthusiasm is often associated with the Autism spectrum, but I think here we have real cultural difference. I see this all the time. It's not understood by these folks how harsh and rude they seem to others outside their culture. I'm working closely with some Japanese folks right now and in this case it's pretty much all westerners who are perceived to be rude, even when we are trying hard to be nice!

I read his posts selectively therefore with a grain of salt. The rant/rudeness bits I toss out, the more extreme ideas I consider within my own practice for validity to me, and out of that I get some interesting info. He did correctly identify, one of the first ones to do so, that the accelerator chip's effects were kicking in pretty early---Claff has shown this. He also made an astute observation about the potentially variable nature of how the NR is being applied and a good guess as to why, which I think I agree with based on other tests I've seen. My conclusion to do the upgrade is based wholly on how the changes actually serve as improvements to me in my use of this camera. Note also that ClassA has been pretty emphatic that altering raws is anathema. PhotoOptimist disagrees, and I agree with him.

Plenty of room for disagreement on this one.
05-26-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #330
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
He did correctly identify, one of the first ones to do so, that the accelerator chip's effects were kicking in pretty early
Yet he failed to identify the issue brought up in this video here

That's a video that shows people why they might like a K-1 mkII. Apparently high ISO resolution isn't it's strong point. However 100-3200 resolution is. This is really simple. The K-1 mkII is for those shooting in normal high dynamic range ISO image who want better raw images right off the camera.

Those who want the highest possible resolution high ISO images should buy something else. That's my take on the k-1 mkII. I actually find that quite appealing.
. MJKloski has cooked his data to reflect one small subset of the images everyone takes, and complained because what everyone else wants is different from what he wants. It's actually quite humorous watching people complain about "baked by NR images" when they use "baked by ridiculous use criteria" data. Every body seems to want to bake something to make a point, and there's more than one way to "bake" your tests.

Most of us just want the easiest path to the possibility of a great image.

Most of us just want to know why we would buy the camera. Way to funny it took a Nikon user to point it out. All some Pentax users seem to want to do is whine about the obscure.

Last edited by normhead; 05-26-2018 at 12:14 PM.