Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 06:11 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Development update regarding the HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AW

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your past, present and continued support of Ricoh and PENTAX products.
At this time would like to update you of the current development status of the new-generation high-performance Star-series lens, the HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AW (Tentative name), for which the development was announced in October of 2017.
With the new-generation of high-performance Star-series lenses, we have implemented higher quality control standards. Currently the HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AW (Tentative name), lens is in the final stages of quality control and once the quality control stage is complete the lens will be forwarded to mass production. Therefore, in order to finalize the quality control stage and shift to mass production, we have changed the launch date from the previously announced, spring of 2018 to the summer of 2018.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Development update regarding the HD PENTAX-D FA<sup>?</sup>50mmF1.4 SDM AW (Tentative name)?RICOH IMAGING

04-12-2018, 06:45 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

This is both good and bad.

I am for one VERY happy that they are committed to the highest of standards of quality control. Absolutely NO QUESTION on that. I actually give them big credit for staying true to what we all want and have come to expect from Pentax.

On the other hand this exposes some critical errors from Pentax (Ricoh). They have limited resources just like everyone else does, but they are not focusing their efforts where they have their biggest weakness. They drag around like lenses are a second thought. Design your own zooms for FF? NOPE and NOPE.

Pentax (Ricoh) is an electronics company. That culture needs to change. Don't abandon the strengths, but make the weaknesses stronger. If they would hurry up and fill out their lens selection--and focus on THAT it will help their bottom line a ton. At the rate they are going it will be 3 or 4 years before they have an acceptable lineup of lenses.

Honestly if I won the powerball tomorrow I would start investigating other options. It's not because I don't like Pentax or that Pentax offers bad stuff, but they are taking ten years to give me what I could just go out an buy tomorrow from someone else if I had the cash. I am being patient but geez man this is getting old.

I don't mind a couple of months delay for a fifty that I might eventually get, but I would hope this would mean they can offer other subsequent lenses at a faster pace once they get the bugs worked out of the new line. We are at least five prime lenses away from having the lineup they need.

For me personally what I want seems to be their absolute last thing on their to do list. It's kind of getting old to be honest.
04-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
once the quality control stage is complete the lens will be forwarded to mass production.
I think they meant high quality design is complete and quality control will still continue during mass production phase . I think high quality design and quality control are two different things, and are not mutually exclusive.
04-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #4

My guess is June, if Tokina is planning for June with their version of this lens, there's no way Pentax comes later than that.

04-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Just like the DFA 70-200/f2.8, I hope future users can get a hold of this lens sooner than later. It makes my waiting game for the DFA 24/f2 will make it a lot longer.
04-12-2018, 07:22 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing the design is done and they are working on production. Something on the line did not work like they wanted and they stop and fix it before they open to full production. Which is as it should be. Unless we want another Samyang where you buy three lenses, keep the best and return the others.
04-12-2018, 08:06 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote

Design your own zooms for FF? NOPE and NOPE.
That's not fair or entirely accurate. DFA 150-450 and 70-200 are pure Pentax right?

04-12-2018, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
I think they meant high quality design is complete and quality control will still continue during mass production phase . I think high quality design and quality control are two different things, and are not mutually exclusive.
A prior message intimated they had a process event in the factory, which essentially means one of their machines was not producing reliably high standard output. One assumes this delay involves something to do with that machine (redesign, rebuild, new parts) that cannot be resolved immediately.

Tokina probably makes their lenses in a different location and might have different standards or just didn’t have a machine failure. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if their release shows up before the Pentax release.
04-12-2018, 08:36 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That's not fair or entirely accurate. DFA 150-450 and 70-200 are pure Pentax right?
and 28~105, 20~40 Limited, 11~18 Limited and a host of DA zooms.
04-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So the other lenses that are roadmapped become delayed as well....BUT, what if there are delays with them?

At the rate they are going it will be 3 or 4 years before they have an acceptable lineup of lenses.
That soon?...20mm..35mm 85mm 135mm...F4 70/200...TC.It wont be 3 years,its going to take 2.5 years from the announce date of the K-1 to get the 50mm out there.Prime shooters have to wait, or manually focus the mostly unsealed 3rd partys.

Thank heavens, the Zooms are all top quality....i'm sure the primes will be worth the wait to the patient.For the not so patient,theres other options.

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 03:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DFA 150-450 and 70-200 are pure Pentax right?
Yes and the excellent 28-105(which has been updated to the K-1ii kit lens, maybe the best ever "kit"lens).

Obviously RI are stretched in a number of places and cant provide everything thats needed/wanted yesterday.
04-12-2018, 09:59 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

The DFA* 70-200 was delayed for quite a while to get it perfect. I for one am very happy they did. The DFA* line is state-of-the-art, which will often involve sailing in uncharted waters. Exact timelines are neither certain nor desirable.
04-12-2018, 10:00 PM - 6 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
While I do agree with many sentiments mentioned in this thread to a certain degree, I'd like to say that this message itself is encouraging. I think in the not so distant past, we may not have received a message like this directly and I do very much appreciate this increased communication with us. If the roadmap were adhered to more reliably, perhaps these communications wouldn't be necessary, but it's a time in the camera market with fairly rapid changes occuring which perhaps is forcing reconsidering plans. Of course the problem is that these roadmaps have set expectations with fans and if they aren't met, a corrosive disappointment can set in. So messages like this are good in that expectations are being seen to be managed in order for the fan base to stay positive.

I hope Pentax/ Ricoh also begin to find ways of getting buzz around their products and new features (particularly innovative ones) to keep Pentax in the mind of more photographers. It seems that this is not the culture of Pentax, but I think they should be proud of the innovations and products they have developed and have a more sustained effort to get more photographers engaged.
04-12-2018, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I am for one VERY happy that they are committed to the highest of standards of quality control. Absolutely NO QUESTION on that. I actually give them big credit for staying true to what we all want and have come to expect from Pentax.

On the other hand this exposes some critical errors from Pentax (Ricoh). They have limited resources just like everyone else does, but they are not focusing their efforts where they have their biggest weakness. They drag around like lenses are a second thought. Design your own zooms for FF? NOPE and NOPE.

Pentax (Ricoh) is an electronics company. That culture needs to change. Don't abandon the strengths, but make the weaknesses stronger. If they would hurry up and fill out their lens selection--and focus on THAT it will help their bottom line a ton. At the rate they are going it will be 3 or 4 years before they have an acceptable lineup of lenses.

Honestly if I won the powerball tomorrow I would start investigating other options. It's not because I don't like Pentax or that Pentax offers bad stuff, but they are taking ten years to give me what I could just go out an buy tomorrow from someone else if I had the cash. I am being patient but geez man this is getting old.

I don't mind a couple of months delay for a fifty that I might eventually get, but I would hope this would mean they can offer other subsequent lenses at a faster pace once they get the bugs worked out of the new line. We are at least five prime lenses away from having the lineup they need.

For me personally what I want seems to be their absolute last thing on their to do list. It's kind of getting old to be honest.

I completely agree with everything you said. I do commend pentax for communicating this, i really appreciate they are taking the time and letting their fans/customers know that there is a delay. Sadly enough though, ive started to fall in to the camp where im starting to get wrestless with waiting for a particular lens on the roadmap, as much as the older glass is great, its lacking in ways that id like.

The question i have is... is there a point when these delays are just too much, that people get tired of waiting? I mean i do admit pentax optics are some of the best out there, but sometimes its hard watching a snail or sloth move.

04-12-2018, 10:27 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
sometimes its hard watching a snail or sloth move.
Just use the zooms until that snail or sloth flys past!
04-12-2018, 10:39 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Just use the zooms until that snail or sloth flys past!

I almost want to make an AF joke, but its too easy