Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2018, 10:24 AM - 6 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
I think they meant high quality design is complete and quality control will still continue during mass production phase . I think high quality design and quality control are two different things, and are not mutually exclusive.
I think they meant what they wrote. There is no way that design wouldn't be finished so close to the release date. Quality control, or the ability to produce within tolerances with a high yield, is exactly what they are talking about here.

04-13-2018, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The DFA* 70-200 was delayed for quite a while to get it perfect. I for one am very happy they did. The DFA* line is state-of-the-art, which will often involve sailing in uncharted waters. Exact timelines are neither certain nor desirable.

Exactly, Paul. (Even if no lens will ever be perfect.) I don't have the privilege of owning the DFA*70-200, but from what I've heard and seen, I bet it is as good as any of its pro-grade cousins from the bigger brands out there, and I've got a hunch that has something to do with the fact that they took the time - despite all the whining - to make it as good as they possibly could under the circumstances of a niche player. Who wants lenses that underperform, just because they were rushed in their production?

And here's another thing. Something that I do, whenever I'm having bouts of impatience about new gear releases, or in my case more likely, gear purchases that need to be postponed for whatever stupid reason life will throw at me. When I really find myself in that kind of rut, I will go and grab some of the outstanding Pentax gear I already own, in this case a much lesser nifty fifty, and will remind myself of what magic I can achieve when I put to meaningful use what I already have. Yep, the shot (full-res image here: Food - Marc) certainly isn't the last photographic word on figs, but it was done with the simplest means, on a table extension under my bedroom window, the cloudy sun only softened with the scrim version of my 5-in-1 modifier, and minimal fill provided by its draped white cover. And, you know what? I returned with even more respect for my plastic-fantastic DA50, and renewed patience for that DFA100 Macro WR which I just had to postpone getting for at least another year.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 04-13-2018 at 01:01 PM.
04-13-2018, 10:39 AM - 4 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I’m sure everything will be fine in the end.

It reminds me of Rockstar in video games. They ALWAYS delay their games and everyone complains, but then they release them to almost universal critical acclaim.

At least Ricoh is telling people. When I shot Canon, I remember the extremely delayed 200-400 lens. There was zero information provided for updates for a couple of years literally. It was so bad that people thought it would never really be released.
04-13-2018, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
I’m sure everything will be fine in the end.

It reminds me of Rockstar in video games. They ALWAYS delay their games and everyone complains, but then they release them to almost universal critical acclaim.

At least Ricoh is telling people. When I shot Canon, I remember the extremely delayed 200-400 lens. There was zero information provided for updates for a couple of years literally. It was so bad that people thought it would never really be released.
I suspect underlying the more vocal negative reactions to this delay there is a certain frustration held by a group of fairly new Pentax adopters who might have been told the lens development and introduction schedule would be much faster than it has been. (Did I use enough subjunctive qualifiers in the prior sentence?). IIRC, after the spring, 2016 introduction of K-1 and the Holy Trinity Zooms, 2017 was to be ‘Year of the Primes’. For whatever reason (parent?) that didn’t happen. In that context, for that group of (new) users, this additional delay is pretty bad news.

04-13-2018, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #50
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
PS. I was so upset with RIcoh about this that I ordered a DFA 15-30 to make myself feel better.
You can triple your good feeling by ordering one for me, too.
04-13-2018, 11:15 AM - 3 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect underlying the more vocal negative reactions to this delay there is a certain frustration held by a group of fairly new Pentax adopters who might have been told the lens development and introduction schedule would be much faster than it has been. (Did I use enough subjunctive qualifiers in the prior sentence?). IIRC, after the spring, 2016 introduction of K-1 and the Holy Trinity Zooms, 2017 was to be ‘Year of the Primes’. For whatever reason (parent?) that didn’t happen. In that context, for that group of (new) users, this additional delay is pretty bad news.
I am a new adopter but it had nothing to do with a lens roadmap since I had no clue that I would love going out and shooting images. I am just trying to figure out how to acquire the current lenses that I want to try out while reducing my lens count as a way to battle LBA. The *11-18 will be a definite buy whenever it arrives and any delays just allow me to get my finances ready for its arrival in stores.
I went to Pentax because of the value of the K-50 after a video from B and H (I believe,) I made the leap and was happy. I am also glad that Pentax is still creating new lenses and looks to be committed to long term sales and support of DSLRs.

The whiners can just get "Boris Cleto'd."
04-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not a problem, most of the volume sold will be thru Tokina for Canon and Nikon mounts, the Pentax version will sell much less, that is why Ricoh have more interest to be faultless with the Tokina delivery.

04-13-2018, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #53
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
When I shot Canon, I remember the extremely delayed 200-400 lens.
And this is an example of something that needs to be pointed out occasionally: contrary to what some here would have you believe, Pentax is not the only brand that suffers delays or other issues, so please moderate your criticism accordingly. Also, as has already been said, better a delay than a faulty product.
04-13-2018, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

(...) 2017 was to be ‘Year of the Primes’. For whatever reason (parent?) that didn’t happen. In that context, for that group of (new) users, this additional delay is pretty bad news. (...)
To be fair, 2017 supposedly being the year of the primes has never been an official statement. It's a statement that kenspo used to make time and time again, based on whatever talks with whomever people from or close to Ricoh Imaging he had had.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo:
(...).I know what is coming, but haven't spoken with them lately about when. But as i said earlier..2017 is the year of the primes.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
As i said earlier, 2017 is the year of the primes..and the future is bright (F-stop bright)

(...)..
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I never said anything about WHEN it comes. I only said what I was told..That they would release more then one prime this year. (...)
04-13-2018, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

I’d even say that it is almost normal for industry in general to have delays. Small or big ones. before they start those machines, you really need to have everything perfect to get perfect output. If they make several hundred or more in week, and you spot then that there is something wrong, it becomes expensive soon. This is not just Pentax, it goes for others too.
04-13-2018, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
To be fair, 2017 supposedly being the year of the primes has never been an official statement. It's a statement that kenspo used to make time and time again, based on whatever talks with whomever people from or close to Ricoh Imaging he had had.
Which is why I put all those qualifiers in. People who have been around the Brand for a while understand what they are trying to do and accept it. Others seem not to be as forgiving.

Guess I’ll just shut up.
04-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
that is true, but lot of things can change during talks in those bigger tables at top floors. as we have learned so far, there is new zoom (70-200/4) on the table. perhaps that 70-200/2.8 is not selling enough/or there is new demand for that lens, more than fast primes. who knows. So, it takes time. every time when project is being put on hold and new one comes, it takes a lot of resouces.

just to be fair with this too.
04-13-2018, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

Which is why I put all those qualifiers in. People who have been around the Brand for a while understand what they are trying to do and accept it. Others seem not to be as forgiving.
I don't think it has much to do with who was around for longer, or a fresh Pentaxian.
The noisiest simply have an agenda.
04-13-2018, 12:11 PM - 6 Likes   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmm... I don't understand the disappointment. It's not like there aren't other lenses in the ecosystem that can be used in the meantime. I asked my K-1 what it thought about the delay. It shrugged, hummed, and cycled its shutter without any complaints.

I mean, I kind of expected my K-1 to brick itself and throw hissy fit. It didn't.

Maybe it would quietly protest by slowing down write times to the SD card. It didn't do that either.

Just like the kid in front, the camera keeps running. No complaints! Not a single word from my K-1 about "delays", "market share", or "limited resources".

How about the kid in the back? He's screaming pretty hard about something he has no control over. The best course of action is to carry on as best and as hard as we can with what we can control ... and that's us and our photography.

And, when the lens does come out let's not say anything about how its too big or too heavy ... unless you have to throw it.

04-13-2018, 12:16 PM - 4 Likes   #60
Pentaxian

How did you get those kids to stay perfectly still, in those poses, until the K-1 managed to focus on them?