Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 740 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2018, 12:18 PM - 5 Likes   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How did you get those kids to stay perfectly still, in those poses, until the K-1 managed to focus on them?

The K-1 has a couple buttons on that can do all sorts of neat things when you press them.

04-13-2018, 12:25 PM - 9 Likes   #62
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The K-1 has a couple buttons on that can do all sorts of neat things when you press them.
Ah, yes - the hidden, little-known and never-publicized "Halt Kids" function... A Pentax first, and something parents worldwide have been wishing for
04-13-2018, 12:43 PM - 6 Likes   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ah, yes - the hidden, little-known and never-publicized "Halt Kids" function... A Pentax first, and something parents worldwide have been wishing for
I thought Superglue was the secret Mike?
04-13-2018, 12:48 PM - 3 Likes   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha. Humour: another powerful antidote to gear angst. Love it!

And some pretty solid kid sports images, I'd say, Boris.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 04-13-2018 at 12:58 PM.
04-13-2018, 02:19 PM - 3 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While we pine away for the DFA 50... the F/FA 50 (1.4 & 1.7 & 2.8) and the DFA 50 and the DA 50 and the DA 40 and all the other near 50mm focal length lenses want you to know they are out there and waiting for you to pick them up and shoot something!

It isn't like this new lens is filling a gap that there are no options for. Unlike a new mount (looking at you Hasselblad, Fuji, Sony, Canon, m43) the gaps post release are in refinement more than anything else. Buying used the possibilities are endless but even new there are few gaps in the lineup other than expectations and more refined options. Silent focus and near 50mm.. DA* 55 f1.4, smooth manual focus and crazy bokeh - 50mm f1.2, dirt cheap just do it? DA 50 and some PP to clean up the edges.

Personally while this lens may be amazing - I wish they had started with the 85 or a wide angle prime. The 50 isn't where there are as many gaps IMHO.
04-13-2018, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

So many things can cause a delay just before release. At least they made an announcement, which is better than delaying and not saying anything, or releasing poor quality without delay. I agree with others who say that Ricoh lens development progresses slowly, but without insider information we don't know why. Maybe they don't have enough staff/money. Maybe they work inefficiently and make mistakes. Maybe they are making sure the company doesn't overextend.

If the current Pentax lineup doesn't meet your photography needs, change systems, without drama. Some members here have done that and remained useful contributors to the forum. Some people who used other systems have moved to Pentax.

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 05:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
...Personally while this lens may be amazing - I wish they had started with the 85 or a wide angle prime. The 50 isn't where there are as many gaps IMHO.
Agreed, 50 seems like a weird place to prioritize, but it's a frequently used length. It might be a popular item with new Pentax shooters. It might also be popular with lens collectors who already have every other 50
04-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Agreed, 50 seems like a weird place to prioritize, but it's a frequently used length. It might be a popular item with new Pentax shooters. It might also be popular with lens collectors who already have every other 50
My only thought was that it is a focal length they think they can sell to APSC and FF users due to the high quality and f1.4 aperture. But the DA* 55 already exists and will likely drop in price in the marketplace due to the presumably more reliable focus system and presumably sharper edges on FF.

04-13-2018, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The top 50 is the Reference Lens for the entire Brand. It demonstrates your company’s ‘take’ on optics design philosophy. Everything else is compared and contrasted with the top 50. By definition your Reference Lens has to come before everything else.

The decision to release a *50 first says a lot about Ricoh’s Strategic Plan.
04-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My only thought was that it is a focal length they think they can sell to APSC and FF users due to the high quality and f1.4 aperture. But the DA* 55 already exists and will likely drop in price in the marketplace due to the presumably more reliable focus system and presumably sharper edges on FF.
Among FA and DA limited lenses which are there reference lenses? I see no 5cm.

Whatever happened inside their facility, Pentaxians can simply wait or look elaewhere.
04-13-2018, 07:31 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yay! I have more time to save up before I buy this amazing lens
04-13-2018, 08:22 PM - 4 Likes   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Among FA and DA limited lenses which are there reference lenses? I see no 5cm.
The FA50 f1.4 is of course typical of the FA line, Wed7.

A fifty doesn't need as many corrections as a 35mm or 85mm, it's perfect as the first in a new design series and for testing a new manufacturing process (and see, they discovered something in that one, hence the postponement. It's how it should be).
04-13-2018, 11:24 PM - 6 Likes   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ah, yes - the hidden, little-known and never-publicized "Halt Kids" function...
Mine’s set for “halt birds”.... but somehow I’ve also selected “trailing curtain”

---------- Post added 14-04-18 at 03:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yay! I have more time to save up before I buy this amazing lens
Did you have them shift it out because you had a wedding to pay for?
04-14-2018, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The top 50 is the Reference Lens for the entire Brand. It demonstrates your company’s ‘take’ on optics design philosophy. Everything else is compared and contrasted with the top 50. By definition your Reference Lens has to come before everything else.

The decision to release a *50 first says a lot about Ricoh’s Strategic Plan.
Indeed. It also needs to be as good as they can get it on release, because you can trust some reviewers to be more critical of it than they may be of others’. So, this small delay is welcome, if that’s the cause.
04-14-2018, 03:13 AM - 4 Likes   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hiya guys, all lenses at least from the 3rd millenium are COMPUTER generated, so show me a perfect lens, what a lot of nonsense take time to perfect their miniscule collection of D FA lenses, Ian

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 02:22 AM ----------

yeah but by that time most I included will be DEAD so either bring out some lenses or give up with the drivel, and cancel the PENTAX mark as PERFECT lenses dont excist, sorry to burst your bubble
Well if you want to take over the entire engineering projects of designing your own extremely high quality Pentax lenses, I'm sure that the very highly trained and skilled Pentax engineers would be thrilled to have some time off.

Remember, engineering projects take time. You can't just snap your fingers and suddenly a computer generates a completed engineering and design project. Doesn't work like that. Design, revision, more revision, prototyping, testing, more revision, more testing, etc. takes a lot of time. As we've seen in the cases of some cameras and lenses, many years. If you don't want to wait for what Pentax has in the bag, there's plenty of other companies out there. I'm mostly content to waut.
04-14-2018, 03:17 AM - 4 Likes   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First of all, the DFA *50 does exist -- there are plenty of photos of it and from it that prove that it is out there. The issue is for Pentax making sure that they can turn out high quality copies in sufficient volumes to satisfy the demand. This is not a bad thing. I remember huge problems with decentered DA * 16-50s when they were first released and SDM problems. Better to wait a few months and have everything go off perfectly, than to have poor copies end up on the market and sour people on the brand.

Second, as others have mentioned, there are a lot of 50-ish lenses out there right now that can be used on a K-1 -- the DA 50, FA 50, DA *55, and FA 43 all come to mind (plus all of the manual focus 50s). If you desperately need a 50-ish lens for the next three months, get one of those and enjoy it and then sell it when the DFA 50 is finally released.

It really isn't the end of the world (although it's close)...