Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 740 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2018, 04:20 AM - 2 Likes   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Second, as others have mentioned, there are a lot of 50-ish lenses out there right now that can be used on a K-1 -- the DA 50, FA 50, DA *55, and FA 43 all come to mind (plus all of the manual focus 50s). If you desperately need a 50-ish lens for the next three months, get one of those and enjoy it and then sell it when the DFA 50 is finally released. .
Great advice.

Until the DFA 35 and DFA 85 appear (and it's all made complicated if Tokina are needing versions to be compatible with Nikon and Canon), the OP can buy second hand FA31 Ltd, FA77 Ltd or FA*85 and sell them with little loss.

Or keep 'em even when you buy the new designs because they're way more compact than the new ones, and may have warmer rendering. There'll be days when you don't feel like lugging around big chunks of glass.

04-14-2018, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
First of all, the DFA *50 does exist -- there are plenty of photos of it and from it that prove that it is out there. The issue is for Pentax making sure that they can turn out high quality copies in sufficient volumes to satisfy the demand. This is not a bad thing. I remember huge problems with decentered DA * 16-50s when they were first released and SDM problems. Better to wait a few months and have everything go off perfectly, than to have poor copies end up on the market and sour people on the brand.

Second, as others have mentioned, there are a lot of 50-ish lenses out there right now that can be used on a K-1 -- the DA 50, FA 50, DA *55, and FA 43 all come to mind (plus all of the manual focus 50s). If you desperately need a 50-ish lens for the next three months, get one of those and enjoy it and then sell it when the DFA 50 is finally released.

It really isn't the end of the world (although it's close)...
Although I have most experience with Pentax, it seems that all brands have significant issues with quality control. I can't count how many decentered lenses I've gone through - it's very disappointing, I still have some only because they're less decentered than all the other copies of a lens that I've tried. And I only have 16mp, with an AA filter. As the pixel count increases flaws become more obvious, so hopefully all the manufactures realize that tolerances that were adequate in the past just aren't good enough now.

Although I would not be interested in this lens (well, I might, but wouldn't pay for it - unless it comes in at plastic-50 prices), if Pentax can make headway in quality control, it would benefit the brand if any new quality control procedures that are developed could be applied to future (or even existing) products.
04-14-2018, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Although I have most experience with Pentax, it seems that all brands have significant issues with quality control.
Indeed, Nikon is a great example---multiple serious issues, and Canon has had some as well. Unlike those 2 companies, that have legions upon legions of followers who will forgive every mistake and/or will have to forgive grudgingly due to individuals" "investment" in the sytsems, Pentax is too small a company to afford problems----far better to delay. They had a significant problem with the manufacturing of the 645 25mm lens and had to discontinue it as a result, a bit disastrous for the 645 line-up.

Much better to pause and delay and get it right! If you are a Pentaxian you need fortitude and patience. If you feel it slipping, take a cold shower.

Just a reminder: Sigma a few years ago committed to re-doing their QC from the ground-up. I'm sure it was expensive and it probably delayed some things. Paid off in the end, looks like....
04-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Great advice.

Until the DFA 35 and DFA 85 appear ... the OP can buy second hand FA31 Ltd...
I like this part of the plan. So good that perhaps I should do that my self too.. My 43 & 77 ltd.s do seem to be lonely with out that third one..but that has nothing to do with this thread.

04-14-2018, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

Mmmm Pentax did have QC issues so they sold DFA645 25mm and DA 25mm but, afair, the reason for discontinuing the lens was that the glass manufacturer for certain elements for this lens went out of business.
04-14-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmmm Pentax did have QC issues so they sold DFA645 25mm and DA 25mm but, afair, the reason for discontinuing the lens was that the glass manufacturer for certain elements for this lens went out of business.
Ya, that's what I remember two. Amazing how such things get warped into something they weren't by those with an agenda. But you can say, for companies who don't outsource their glass components, this would never be an issue. SO there is a flaw in the Pentax processs, the fact that they are dependant on other companies to produce components. But this has been an issue exactly once.
04-14-2018, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya, that's what I remember two. Amazing how such things get warped into something they weren't by those with an agenda. But you can say, for companies who don't outsource their glass components, this would never be an issue. SO there is a flaw in the Pentax processs, the fact that they are dependant on other companies to produce components. But this has been an issue exactly once.
That is true. Pre Ricoh left things in bad shape. If I remember correct that was basically shaving off exspeces, as assembling things at Phiplippines, and Vietman..instead of Japan. Also manufactoring was made cheaper, ect. So now Ricoh has a lot to catch up to do. And they have to really manage things to get it working. It was not first time when something part of this factoryline got broken. That was the same thing with *70-200/2.8. And hopefully they get it working for those 2 * primes that when they are coming, this does not happen again with 70-200 they remodelled also some things at last moments before that ’green light’.

04-14-2018, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Among FA and DA limited lenses which are there reference lenses? I see no 5cm.

Whatever happened inside their facility, Pentaxians can simply wait or look elaewhere.
FA 43 Limited
DA 40 Limited
DA 70 Limited

So several close options. But the new lens isn't a limited either. It's a " * " so there isn't anything close I can think of - perhaps the A* 85?
04-14-2018, 09:59 AM - 2 Likes   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
... Something on the line did not work like they wanted ...
It's almost always Inspector 8
04-14-2018, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
It's almost always Inspector 8
Yeah, that's what happened to me on the genetic assembly line....
04-15-2018, 04:17 AM - 3 Likes   #86
Pentaxian

There is nothing to worry about:

Source: DFA 50mm f1.4 is delayed until summer!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
04-15-2018, 04:32 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There is nothing to worry about:
I hope he's right this time.
04-15-2018, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #88
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
yeah but by that time most I included will be DEAD so either bring out some lenses or give up with the drivel, and cancel the PENTAX mark as PERFECT lenses dont excist, sorry to burst your bubble
Apparently you haven't used the FA Limited lenses.

I'm not sure why people are complaining. There is a great selection of lenses right now, both past and present. I would rather any company, not just Pentax, slow down to get a product right. I think the DA* lenses were a bit rushed with the "me too" silent-focusing motors. If Pentax would have delayed those to get the SDM right, things would be different now.

Plus, the FA 50 1.4, DA 50 1.8, D FA 50 2.8 lenses are currently available, as well as the DA* 55 1.4 and FA 43 1.9 lenses. Who's complaining about the Pentax lens lineup? You sound a little silly right now. Personally, I don’t need another 50mm, the 43mm meets my needs.
04-16-2018, 03:56 AM - 11 Likes   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I'm not sure why people are complaining.

Because as long as you can find an external cause for your poor photography there is no need to look at your own skills and efforts to create great work.
04-16-2018, 04:12 AM - 2 Likes   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by d1n0 Quote
because as long as you can find an external cause for your poor photography there is no need to look at your own skills and efforts to create great work.
+1000