Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 740 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Besides, sometimes I do think that pictures are TOO clinical and sharp. but that is different thing all together.
Yes. I've tried a few DA Limited lenses and found them to be technical marvels, but too clinical. Too sterile. For this reason alone I've been extremely appreciative of the FA Limited and FA* lenses.

04-17-2018, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Yes. I've tried a few DA Limited lenses and found them to be technical marvels, but too clinical. Too sterile. For this reason alone I've been extremely appreciative of the FA Limited and FA* lenses.
I have been lusting after FA 31 almost as long as I’v been shooting with Pentax...I will buy it this year(I’m not rich man). Just because what I’v seen that people has done with it. I love my FA 43 and 77. They are quite sharp wide open. And can be used so, and stopped down that sharpness is still there, but it is not ’macro’like. But sigma 35ART and propably this new DFA too are really sharp. Now I’m not saying that it is bad thing, not just what I’m after right now.

Just that I’m at the moment more drawn to that combination of soft glow and sharpnes. That is what I’m looking forward with good old FA 31.

However IF I have money, I could see my self getting DFA50 to replace my *55. For that when extra resolution is needed.
04-17-2018, 02:44 AM - 2 Likes   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just put my 43 on the K-1 and fire away. If I never knew about the D FA*50/1.4 I would still be delighted with my images but I wouldn’t wonder whether they could be different. So - since I’ve massively overspent my budget - I’m just going to pretend I don’t know about it and shoot with what I have. That way it doesn’t matter if they need to assign three little pixies to hand assemble 1000 copies for the initial release and it takes until 2021. Won’t make me any more or less happy either way.
Isn't the enemy of good "better?" It is easy to resist the urge of a new lens until folks starting shooting with it and then suddenly you get this uncomfortable feeling that you too could be producing great works of art if only you had the right piece of glass. And it starts calling you name. And then one day you come home to a package from B and H and open it to find a new DFA *50 in your possession.

The sad thing is that the end of the story is that while you take a bunch of photos with the new lens, they actually look amazingly similar to the photos you were taking before...
04-17-2018, 02:47 AM - 3 Likes   #109
Pentaxian

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing in which camera store you might be swept off."

04-17-2018, 03:05 AM - 3 Likes   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing in which camera store you might be swept off."
Is this DFA *50 the "One lens to rule them all and in the darkness bind them?"
04-17-2018, 04:01 AM - 7 Likes   #111
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Perhaps one of the three Elven rings made by Celebrimor - along with the 35/1.4 and 85/1.4
Sauron works for another company.
04-17-2018, 04:04 AM - 3 Likes   #112
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Perhaps one of the three Elven rings made by Celebrimor - along with the 35/1.4 and 85/1.4
Definitely an A9 owner.

Spoiler: He doesn't see Frodo approaching because of the Star Eater problem and it all ends badly for him.

04-17-2018, 04:19 AM - 3 Likes   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I thought that was the K-1 Ring.

And asahi man commands a palantir.
04-17-2018, 04:30 AM - 4 Likes   #114
Pentaxian

"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass! The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass!" - Pentax, facing the mirrorless.
04-17-2018, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The top 50 is the Reference Lens for the entire Brand. It demonstrates your company’s ‘take’ on optics design philosophy. Everything else is compared and contrasted with the top 50. By definition your Reference Lens has to come before everything else.

The decision to release a *50 first says a lot about Ricoh’s Strategic Plan.
I bet Pentax would gather a lot of good attention if they were to release a 50/1.0 like Canon did a few decades ago.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
04-17-2018, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

A 5 minutes attention, maybe. It would be pushing things too far: price (the EF can be had on e-bay for $4000-6000), AF, image quality challenges.

The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is not just a prestige product, it is also practical: people will buy and use it, and post images taken with it. And it obliterates the EF 50mm f/1.0 in image quality.
04-17-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I bet Pentax would gather a lot of good attention if they were to release a 50/1.0 like Canon did a few decades ago.

In addition to Kunzite's comment, I would add that the K bayonet throat is most probably not wide enough to accommodate a 50mm f/1 lens.

Sent from my Dell Latitude using Firefox.
04-17-2018, 08:04 AM - 6 Likes   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I believe that Saruman was a Pentaxian in the beginning, but was seduced by Fuji. So sad...
04-17-2018, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In addition to Kunzite's comment, I would add that the K bayonet throat is most probably not wide enough to accommodate a 50mm f/1 lens.

Sent from my Dell Latitude using Firefox.
That is true. That rear element with the cutout for the contacts is a unique thing. Canon did for certain take advantage of that wider bayonet mount (a thing I see that's very limiting to Nikon) with that particular lens. Instant collectible. That's what I was rooting for.

And yes, that lens is also from the film era. That's why I was toying with the idea of a modern version. Also, the AF system would have to be groundbreaking (including face recognition and particularly eye recognition) and nail perfect focus on eyes each and every time at that shallow of a depth of field .

1.4 will be enough if it's usable from wide open, which I'm sure it will be. I have the FA and it's best at f/4. Otherwise it works good on film, b&w and for cheesy soft portraits. I guess that's a look pixel peepers have nightmares over.

Even a 1.2 would've been stretching things too far. Also matching a price tag of 1300 USD, too. I wonder if this new lens will be in the sub 1k or even sub 800 category. Any info on that?

Talking about lenses available now, I wonder if anyone has had a chance to play with those hugely expensive (for a triplet design and not very wide aperture, all manual) from the reborn Meyer-Optik Görlitz. Their appeal must be their projection and rendering.

04-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Also matching a price tag of 1300 USD, too. I wonder if this new lens will be in the sub 1k or even sub 800 category. Any info on that?
Ha ha, no chance. The Sony/Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 is $1500.

And this is no Meyer Optik-Goerlitz, this is no fraud. This is a modern lens worth every penny.
(About the MOG... their pricing strategy is best described by P.T.Barnum's "there's a sucker born every minute").