Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 740 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This is the thing, I was recently shooting indoors with an FA 50 1.7. It's not like I had nothing to shoot with. Given that to date the clients haven't asked for anything but 3840x2160 for viewing on their TV, I doubt the new lens would have made one bit of difference.

It's always great to have the most advanced, but most of the time it's a precaution, "just incase it might make a difference", but it usually doesn't. I've pretty much decided I'll buy one of these lenses, but until there is more choice in focal lengths I won't make a decision. I'm guessing my purchasing decision won't be made for another three years. When any individual lens comes out is pretty much irrelevant to the process. Why do so many have their knickers in a knot?

What is the source of this desperation?

I keep hearing, "If this lens isn't out soon, I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue."
The only sane answer is "Well, OK then, you get right on that."
I’d like to see a citation for that.
Oh wait, won’t happen, no one’s said it.

I’m astounded that we are supposed to stay positive about these ongoing delays to bring new products to market, that we are supposed to be happy as puppies in a basket that 30 year old lens designs will take pictures, and if we aren’t, then insulting those who do want new equipment is acceptable.

The desire to see some new products released that is up to the task of taking advantage of the new generation of camera bodies is not something that people need to be ashamed of, and frankly, posts that try to shame people because they desire new equipment are, in my opinion, disgusting.

04-17-2018, 11:37 AM - 2 Likes   #122
Pentaxian

Let's see what started this discussion. It was this statement:
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Design your own zooms for FF? NOPE and NOPE.
and this statement:
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Pentax (Ricoh) is an electronics company. That culture needs to change.
and this statement:
QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
yeah but by that time most I included will be DEAD so either bring out some lenses or give up with the drivel, and cancel the PENTAX mark as PERFECT lenses dont excist, sorry to burst your bubble
False claims and nonsense. It puts normhead's post in a different light.
04-17-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #123
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I’m astounded that we are supposed to stay positive about these ongoing delays to bring new products to market, that we are supposed to be happy as puppies in a basket that 30 year old lens designs will take pictures
I don't think anyone's happy about the delays, Bill, nor is anyone saying we should be positive about them. Some are being philosophical about it, though, and would prefer to wait if that means getting a product that's the best quality it can be. In that sense, you could say those people have a positive outlook on the situation
04-17-2018, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #124
Pentaxian

Except for biting my nails to the elbows out of impatience, I'm perfectly fine with the delays.

04-17-2018, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The desire to see some new products released that is up to the task of taking advantage of the new generation of camera bodies is not something that people need to be ashamed of
No it isn't of course but not everyone seems as level headed about it as you. For those that really want / need this lens I am sure it is very frustrating. I often find myself wanting to argue just to balance the dispute, but why bother? It has all been said. It will arrive when it arrives.

Those that seem to feel Ricoh is deliberately delaying this to personally inconvenience them are, I must admit, irritating. I don't know of anyone who thinks it would better if this lens was delayed further but I also don't know anyone who thinks it should be rushed out and flop either. So what should we do?

Personally I just hope they take their time and get it right. Because I believe this lens is the prototype / reference design for a whole new series. Once they work out the production issues things should go smoother. And that's important because there are other lenses that need built as well.
04-17-2018, 04:17 PM - 9 Likes   #126
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Need for a pause?

Am I the only one around who feels like everyone should just take a deep breath and chill a bit? I'm saying this in the evening before dinner, while I have a scotch. I highly recommend it. Seriously.
04-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Am I the only one around who feels like everyone should just take a deep breath and chill a bit? I'm saying this in the evening before dinner, while I have a scotch. I highly recommend it. Seriously.
+1 (but with a good rhum).

04-17-2018, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #128
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well said. There's absolutely no benefit to getting worked up over this lens and its release date, delayed or otherwise. It's just a lens, and it'll be here when it's here.

As for that Scotch... Sláinge!
04-17-2018, 05:43 PM - 3 Likes   #129
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well said. There's absolutely no benefit to getting worked up over this lens and its release date, delayed or otherwise. It's just a lens, and it'll be here when it's here.

As for that Scotch... Sláinge!
Yep.

And call me old fashioned, but if they discover something else in testing to fix, then it should be delayed again, even if someone on an Internet forum has their Visa card out ready to go.

Or am I insane for thinking that?

Last edited by clackers; 04-17-2018 at 05:49 PM.
04-17-2018, 07:11 PM - 3 Likes   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yep.

And call me old fashioned, but if they discover something else in testing to fix, then it should be delayed again, even if someone on an Internet forum has their Visa card out ready to go.

Or am I insane for thinking that?
You do know the lens is finished, right? They’re making them and have been for several weeks. They’re simply having trouble bringing a machine up to full production speed while maintaining production quality standards.

So they’re producing the initial inventory slowly, and won’t release the lens until the initial stock is complete.

There’s nothing wrong with the lens itself,

So says Ooku who apparently is from China and has some insight.
04-17-2018, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #131
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You do know the lens is finished, right? They’re making them and have been for several weeks. They’re simply having trouble bringing a machine up to full production speed while maintaining production quality standards.

So they’re producing the initial inventory slowly, and won’t release the lens until the initial stock is complete.

That's good to know, Monochrome!

And I expect all the people in this and the original DFA*50 thread who were whining about how life couldn't go on without a new lens to have the honour to buy it straight away and show their pics to us. Don't make us scroll back to find you!
04-18-2018, 02:39 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Exactly. The issue apparently is getting enough copies assembled to release it onto the market. I have no idea what their first run is going to be. A few thousand copies? Anyway, everyone wants the lens to be out there yesterday and ready to buy (I don't have money for it now so not as big a deal to me). The important thing is that there is a high level of quality control. The last thing you want is sites like DP Review saying (as I believe they did with the DA *55) that they tested three copies and everyone had decentering issues -- or whatever else could affect the production process.

I do hope that they iron these things out and further releases for the DFA * line up down the road go smoother.
04-18-2018, 02:57 AM - 3 Likes   #133
Pentaxian

I was told on guess what other forum that there's no evidence whatsoever that the D FA* 50mm exists. I was told that Ricoh's shareholders could explicitly ask Ricoh to kill Pentax at any given moment.

Then I was told I was arguing about the complete opposite of what I was saying, so I was strongly disagreeing with myself. But that's another story, and I should learn not to let it get to me.
04-18-2018, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I was told on guess what other forum that there's no evidence whatsoever that the D FA* 50mm exists. I was told that Ricoh's shareholders could explicitly ask Ricoh to kill Pentax at any given moment.

Then I was told I was arguing about the complete opposite of what I was saying, so I was strongly disagreeing with myself. But that's another story, and I should learn not to let it get to me.
You went in the deep side of the pool. They don’t clean it up anymore. Should avoid it.
04-18-2018, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #135
Pentaxian

I’m astounded that we are supposed to stay positive about these ongoing delays to bring new products to market, that we are supposed to be happy as puppies in a basket that 30 year old lens designs will take pictures, and if we aren’t, then insulting those who do want new equipment is acceptable.
I'll just say, I don't believe in your characterizations of either you or me. That's about as kind as I can be.
Hang in there buddy. Believe it or not, the world won't end if Pentax doesn't release this lens tomorrow.