Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 740 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2018, 05:39 AM   #241
Veteran Member

I doubt it will sell more than 4 copies here in Finland. Maybe 23 pieces in the whole Scandinavia at that price. 20 of them will go straight to collector's shelves. The problem is that while FF camera body offering has relatively competitive price and attracts crop-tier buyers, are they willing to spend $$$$$ on new prime series? Tokina price will be the max amount this lens is really worth.

Those having the $$$$$ and looking for FF set are going to buy Sony or CaNikon for they all the common lens options available NOW.

05-19-2018, 07:58 AM - 4 Likes   #242
Pentaxian

BS. The lens is less expensive than a K-1 body, or a D FA* 70-200, or a D FA 150-450. We're buying those.
05-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #243
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
BS. The lens is less expensive than a K-1 body, or a D FA* 70-200, or a D FA 150-450. We're buying those.
you are rich man, if 1500 USD is not big money for you...
05-19-2018, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #244
Pentaxian

You're a poor man, if you think that being able to save $1500 makes one rich.

05-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #245
Pentaxian

I think that those numbers that MJKoski said, could be true, because there is not so many pentaxians at Finland...or if there are, they don't have that kind of money. Now If it is too much to ask, it will be seen after they compare this thing with lenses on similar level. That will set the -if it is worth it- bar.

if it is worth it, then there will be people who will cough up the money. If not, they will continue to use excisting gear that they have and add one more lens to that looooong list for LBA.
05-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #246
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wait and see.
05-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #247
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You're a poor man, if you think that being able to save $1500 makes one rich.
Of course. I can't even save such sum up....

05-19-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I think that those numbers that MJKoski said, could be true, because there is not so many pentaxians at Finland...
But it's essentially an untestable theory.
05-19-2018, 02:18 PM - 4 Likes   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This lens is not going to be for everyone. Certainly it is not for me. I'm sure Ricoh doesn't expect this to be a high volume mover either.

Pentax as a brand has three main perception problems in the market (rightly or wrongly): lack of modern lenses, AF and video.

These modern fast 50, 85 and probable 35 primes together with the 3 fast zooms will help a long way with at least one of these perceptions.

The Tokina collaboration/licensing may be the only thing that makes these lenses financially viable, so we should view that in a positive light as well.
05-19-2018, 03:24 PM - 2 Likes   #250
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I doubt it will sell more than 4 copies here in Finland. Maybe 23 pieces in the whole Scandinavia at that price. 20 of them will go straight to collector's shelves. The problem is that while FF camera body offering has relatively competitive price and attracts crop-tier buyers, are they willing to spend $$$$$ on new prime series? Tokina price will be the max amount this lens is really worth.

Those having the $$$$$ and looking for FF set are going to buy Sony or CaNikon for they all the common lens options available NOW.
With respect, you seem to be increasingly negative about Pentax, and that's probably based on your own experiences, expectations (however reasonable or unreasonable), and disappointments. On that basis, to some extent, your negativity is understandable, if a little disappointing and - frankly - predictable...

That said, you could be right about the sales figures for Finland (I've said before, let's wait and see). Finland's a very small part of Pentax's market, though. As has already been said, this lens won't be for everyone. But, as you've seen from these forums, there's a very loyal and enthusiastic Pentax user base globally, and that counts for a lot. Most of them don't care about Sony or Canikon. Don't underestimate the importance of brand loyalty.

I'm sure Ricoh has run the numbers and is confident it can sell enough of the new lens to justify its development. Will it sell in big numbers? Probably not. Will it sell enough? I'm sure it will.

I'm looking forward to the user reviews. Aren't you?
05-19-2018, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

I know I am. I know I will make enough money by the end of the summer (working for the state and all that good wage...) to afford either the DFA 150-450 (would like to replace my good-enough-but-would-want-better older Bigma) or the DFA 50 1.4 (replace a DA50 1.8 and SMC-A 50 1.4 or instead replace those with a Sigma EX 50 1.4) or the DA* 11-18 (replace Tamron 10-24) + some lesser lens (sigma EX 50 1.4) to replace something. So I know I've got a tough choice ahead of me.
05-19-2018, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With respect, you seem to be increasingly negative about Pentax, and that's probably based on your own experiences, expectations (however reasonable or unreasonable), and disappointments. On that basis, to some extent, your negativity is understandable, if a little disappointing and - frankly - predictable...

That said, you could be right about the sales figures for Finland (I've said before, let's wait and see). Finland's a very small part of Pentax's market, though. As has already been said, this lens won't be for everyone. But, as you've seen from these forums, there's a very loyal and enthusiastic Pentax user base globally, and that counts for a lot. Most of them don't care about Sony or Canikon. Don't underestimate the importance of brand loyalty.

I'm sure Ricoh has run the numbers and is confident it can sell enough of the new lens to justify its development. Will it sell in big numbers? Probably not. Will it sell enough? I'm sure it will.

At WORST the lens is an investment to prove they can do it. The production batch can sit in inventory for quite some time, like a batch of FA Limiteds, so long as it is an aspirational item people will save for and wait to buy. Alternatively, after the initial run, they can produce them at the demand rate using replacement cash flow.

I’m certain the business case for developing and producing D FA* Lenses is quite well vetted.
05-19-2018, 11:26 PM - 3 Likes   #253
Pentaxian

I’m sure that MJKoski is just quite normal Finnish guy (not sure thou). we have this saying: pessimist wont be disapointed.

Also even if we say out loud that negative side, it won’t necessarily mean that we dont think of good side too.

the thing is that I just couple of days ago went to one shop who has pentax for sale. I asked if I could look some objectives. Sales man said that we do not have any on display anymore. Now it is only olympus, but you can order from our webshop. . . usually most things are left on the shelves, and they will at the end sell them in big sale, to get rid of them. (some might even wait untill this moment

especially expensive lenses

That is the situation. Also there are only 5,7 million inhabitants at Finland, most pros uses Canon, Nikon Sony and some has gone for M4/3 because of the size.

hobbyist people uses phones, drones, and cheap mirrorless, or Sony or Fujifilm. Pana.....you know this thing. these can be easily bought from anywhere. There was even one shop at Mikkeli who had Pentax...not for years anymore.

But this is time for new era. I suppose. Ricoh want to put Pentax up there with these new * lenses. How many will put the money on the counter. we need more ambassadors like Kenspo.

Premium line needs to be visible, more, and then some to get on the line with most wanted ones.

Then buyer wont think that it is too expensive.

05-20-2018, 01:56 AM - 2 Likes   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I’m sure that MJKoski is just quite normal Finnish guy (not sure thou). we have this saying: pessimist wont be disapointed.
I will borrow a foreign saying: haters gonna hate.
05-20-2018, 01:57 AM - 7 Likes   #255
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haters gonna get Boriscleto'd TM