Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 740 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2018, 02:04 PM - 5 Likes   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought this thread was about a specific keenly awaited lens? One that should deliver a nicer image than one of those ART things and perhaps even go toe to toe with the 800lb gorilla called OTUS

05-26-2018, 02:10 PM - 3 Likes   #332
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I thought this thread was about a specific keenly awaited lens? One that should deliver a nicer image than one of those ART things and perhaps even go toe to toe with the 800lb gorilla called OTUS
Well said. We really ought to return to that topic
05-26-2018, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #333
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
For some reason, the longer it takes, the more confident I am they'll get it right.
05-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For some reason, the longer it takes, the more confident I am they'll get it right.
I mean isn't that usually the trend with Pentax?

05-27-2018, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #335
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I mean isn't that usually the trend with Pentax?
Agreed.

The thing is, even the tiniest deficiencies will be jumped on by the naturally pessimistic types, and by those expecting absolute perfection (which, as we all know, doesn't exist) - and once the lens is released, there's no going back. So it makes absolute sense for Ricoh / Pentax to delay releasing this lens until it's as good as it can realistically be. Obviously there will be complaints about the delays, but those will fade away once it starts shipping.
05-27-2018, 03:17 AM   #336
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Every software related problem could be post-release addressed by Pentax docking hardware for lens firmware upgrade and auto-focus tuning, even simple camera USB upgrade solution software for lens would be great. I find Tamron and Sigma dock devices great addition for existing lineup of lenses when switching a camera body to newer model.
05-27-2018, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #337
Pentaxian

Reputation cannot be fixed with software.

05-27-2018, 06:33 AM   #338
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
This is something Sony does not understand, but it is true.
05-27-2018, 08:44 AM - 4 Likes   #339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago I was in a meeting where sales and marketing were demanding that a product be released now or they would lose sales, market share etc. Finally in exasperation the QA engineer asked "How come we never get time to do it right but we always have time to do it over?" If looks could kill, that guy would have been vaporized on the spot.
05-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #340
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Of course- but also keep in mind that pride is mother of arrogance. Sometimes its better to fix things up post release and give end users some possibilities to do it by themselves than behave like there is no problem or fix it only by service actions.
I'm sure the new DFA will deliver stellar quality-when ready.

Also new SDK release is very good move. Making more of that kind releases-for example closed lend firmware update software, would only serve the good cause.
05-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #341
Pentaxian

I thought we were talking about launching the lens with significant known issues which would be fixed later with a new firmware.
OTOH the problem is with production, not software.
05-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #342
Pentaxian

Sad but true. Not much has changed, where that comes from. But pentax has done their share of let's just go with this, with DA* zooms. But think about the damage that it has done for the brand.

Some fields of building up things is based on: we did that, if you find anything to complain about, we will come to fix it. if not...see ya!(and here is the invoice)

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Years ago I was in a meeting where sales and marketing were demanding that a product be released now or they would lose sales, market share etc. Finally in exasperation the QA engineer asked "How come we never get time to do it right but we always have time to do it over?" If looks could kill, that guy would have been vaporized on the spot.
05-28-2018, 03:00 AM   #343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Summer of 2018 still seems a little vague. Does that mean June or August or even later. Does anyone here know?
05-28-2018, 03:40 AM - 11 Likes   #344
Pentaxian

Nope we don't. Ask a pessimist and he will say summer is really autumn and maybe not even 2018 (they call themselves realists, don't believe them). Ask an optimist and he will say summer starts June first (meteorologically) and it will be available in shops from next Friday. Ask your wife and she will say it doesn't matter because you don't need another lens anyway and the garden needs some attention and the garbage needs to be taken out.
05-28-2018, 03:47 AM   #345
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Sad but true. Not much has changed, where that comes from. But pentax has done their share of let's just go with this, with DA* zooms. But think about the damage that it has done for the brand.
I suspect that's what they want to avoid with the DFA* - the reason of delay.