Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2018, 09:04 AM - 3 Likes   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
...DSLRs, whilst still improving, have pretty much matured in terms of both the product and market. Improvements can still be made, but we're unlikely to see anything beyond incremental change in image quality and performance, and people are happily sticking with the already-excellent DSLRs they bought three-to-five years ago.
Yes, and history repeats itself. The early-to-mid-1980s is often cited as the high point in film SLR design, utility, and manufacturing. With few exceptions, it was a steady decline since then into the age of plastic compromise. Recent/current ILC production is at a similar zenith where feature offerings, build, and field utility are at a high point with most cameras outperforming the skills of the operator and with exceptional image quality across all brands and models. It is safe to say that at present, nothing truly sucks and everything is amazing. That is, of course, unless you bought Pentax when you really wanted a Fuji. In that case, the clouds are thick and there is no joy.

Steve

04-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, you're probably right... But there have been big jumps in mirrorless capability in the last year, if you consider things like the high continuous shooting rate with silent / electronic shutter and no EVF blackout. That's pretty significant stuff, technically speaking, and a greater jump in capability than we could probably expect from any area of DSLR functionality. So whilst I'd agree that mirrorless cameras probably have matured, it feels like there's still room for more to be done (though, as I said, the opportunities to do so are shrinking there too)...
That's why I'm including those. Can they 'wow' people after the A9?

I'd say there's room for more to be done on DSLRs, too. I'd like if Pentax were the ones to further evolve the SLR concept.
Maturity is not stagnation
04-17-2018, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think he just walked in here and referred to the E-Type as a truck, and expected to escape with his life
The oversized steering wheel and double-clutching threw him off into thinking that your slinky, sexy feline was a short-nosed bulldog. Like many classic beauties, the E-Type required careful handling to keep under control, but its ageless good looks made it all worthwhile.
04-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So we need to stop thinking of ourselves as K-Mount shooters and admit we’re OVF shooters. *

* secondary explanation for Q?

04-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No, I meant the Moss boxes fit to vehicles like the XK series as being quite truck-ish, and it was a way to cause a deviation in the discussion.

I wonder where I'll be re: photography when this new APS-C flagship shows up.
04-17-2018, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #51
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So we need to stop thinking of ourselves as K-Mount shooters and admit we’re OVF shooters. *

* secondary explanation for Q?
None needed...
Attached Images

04-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #52
Pentaxian

The big difference between phones and my K-1? They had some pretty nice looking images up on facebook, hours after the ceremony. Two days later, I didn't even have my white balance done so they all looked like they were shot in the same church.

If those folks were happy with what they got from their phones, there's no way I'll ever be appreciated for what I did trying to do images that would be up to a photographer's standards,

Last edited by normhead; 04-18-2018 at 07:12 AM.
04-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The oversized steering wheel and double-clutching threw him off into thinking that your slinky, sexy feline was a short-nosed bulldog. Like many classic beauties, the E-Type required careful handling to keep under control, but its ageless good looks made it all worthwhile.
If we came from Pentax Mx to Fuji XH then for our E-type analogy we will have to go to this: LukaEV – MW Motors

Not really the same, but resembles the old style and adds some modern technology. Hovever, but if you are looking for the real thing you might still be happier with a K-1 or an Alfa Guilia... ;-)

Last edited by MMVIII; 04-17-2018 at 10:03 AM.
04-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
No, I meant the Moss boxes fit to vehicles like the XK series as being quite truck-ish, and it was a way to cause a deviation in the discussion.
Truckish would be no synchro in any gear and full-stop for 1st.

Steve
04-17-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Truckish would be no synchro in any gear and full-stop for 1st.

Steve
..and double-clutching on both upshift and downshift.
04-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I really want that upcoming APS-C flagship, but it's it's still looking pretty far away.

If the K-1II ends up having more competent AF tracking performance than the K-1, then more than likely the K-3II replacement will have AF performance as good or even better than the K-1II. The upcoming K-1II reviews on here, Imaging-Resource, & DPR will shed some light on the AF performance. You know that DPR will redo that bike test.

If the reviews point to much better AF performance in the K-1II, I might end up unloading my K-50 bodies & getting a K-3II to hold me off for a while as I wait for the replacement. That will pretty much mean that I'll be staying with Pentax for the long haul.
04-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I make the wild, baseless assumption that we'll see a new APS-C flagship in the middle of 2019. I think 18 months from concepts to shelf should be about right.

My K-5 II is probably going to be on the way out some point soon after it becomes available.
04-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Red is a much wider wavelength
I my universe blue is only some 1.5x shorter wavelength (or higher energy) than red ...
04-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Because it should have been in the K-1 in the first place. Maybe it wouldn't have failed so miserably then in dpreviews swerving bike test. Fujifilm understands this well and gives its users real improvements through Firmware updates.
Exactly!
04-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'd like if Pentax were the ones to further evolve the SLR concept.
I get the impression that there's a real excitement in RI about doing just that - if they don't love cameras and photography, they give a b]very good impression of doing so.

---------- Post added 17-04-18 at 12:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Exactly!
No.not exactly - for a start, it's a non-sequitur