Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #91
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Ah, You worked for Major "Zero Defect" also! He comes in lower levels like Captain also, but they can affect your evaluations so you have to try to be tactful with them rather than treating them like a Missouri mule. FYI I was never much for using tact when facts would let me have my say, that is why I retired at the rank I did.
More like "I don't care about and don't bother me about Major Defect, make it work or you'll be on the street".

Steve

04-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
More like "I don't care about and don't bother me about Major Defect, make it work or you'll be on the street".

Cliffs of Insanity - YouTube

Steve
In the military folks like that end up getting subtly sabotaged by their subordinates if they persist, but when it is the high rankers (like Generals, it all goes to a very bad place.) Usually the micro-managers just get politely ignored.
04-18-2018, 02:55 PM - 3 Likes   #93
Pentaxian

I would assume that neither the PRIME engine nor the AF controllers are other than in-house efforts. Both tend to be highly proprietary and, I suspect, not derivative.

Edit: As noted above, the main processor for Pentax cameras is Milbeaut with that product defining many of our camera's features and limitations...unless overridden, of course, by specialty chips. Where the critical guts of "Prime" lives is hard to say with any certainty without a full dissection of the innards. It is a fairly certain guess that things like the exceptional AF of the Nikon D500 are not the result of tweaking off-the-shelf capabilities from Socionext.

Steve
It is well-known that Nikon has a separate special processor which does the focusing for the D5, D500, D7500{maybe}, and D850 .... in other words, for the cameras that have especially good Auto Focus. Most Nikon cameras don't do nearly so well on high ISO - despite their reputations - I've been told flat-out by Nikon users that the D500 has noise issues, and none of them test as well as the K-1 does. Clearly Pentax is concentrating on Image Quality .... is everyone here salivating over what Nikon does but Pentax doesn't, instead of enjoying what Pentax does but Nikon doesn't???

Look at the DxOMark sports ranking, which is actually a low-light ranking.
https://www.dxomark.com/cameras/brand-nikon-pentax/launched-between-2002-and...taType=rankLln

The K-1 is 8th among all cameras, closely followed by the 16mb Df. The D750, considered by Nikon users to be their best camera for low-light, is 19th, and the mighty D850 is 26th.

Last edited by reh321; 04-18-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: add DxOMark
04-18-2018, 11:12 PM - 2 Likes   #94
Pentaxian

I love it when the car examples come in. I never drove the car, but my dad owned a 1950 XK120 roadster. The transmission was beastly and required double-clutching on downshift into both first and second gears. Dad sometimes found this to be a handful on a tight right turn on residential streets (here in the U.S.) while wrestling with the huge steering wheel and somewhat clumsy pedal placement. I guess that is sort of like shooting bicycles with the K-1.

Steve
Then another sterling example of design to add.......the Prince of Darkness......., Lucas. Every hairpin, every blind corner........will the car shut down, the lights still work? Bugeye and Brit bike memories from long, long ago.