Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I get the impression that there's a real excitement in RI about doing just that - if they don't love cameras and photography, they give a b]very good impression of doing so.
Yeah. Mr. Takashi Arai seems really passionate about photography, and, interestingly, about Pentax and DSLRs as well.
Why interestingly? Because he's from Ricoh, not Pentax.

04-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I make the wild, baseless assumption that we'll see a new APS-C flagship in the middle of 2019. I think 18 months from concepts to shelf should be about right.

My K-5 II is probably going to be on the way out some point soon after it becomes available.
I think Sigma once said it takes three years to get a lens from concept to shelf, Pres, not sure a camera body is easier.

04-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Point taken. That said, I could see this getting more manpower than a new lens project would at Sigma.
04-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’ve been thinking about the meaning of ‘evolution.’ I’ll bet they’re at the point where they can’t add features onto the K-7-architecture body any more so they’ve started with a clean sheet. Perhaps there’s a new image sensor design in the pipeline. Perhaps they’re working on a new AF sensor that could make its way into the next 645 and FF cameras after the APSc flagship. Perhaps something new is coming in the VF area. More, anyway, than just taking the KP main board with AU and cramming it into a K-3ll.

IOW, I’ll bet they’re developing a completely new frame and body, taking into account efficient component sourcing, internal component layout and manufacturing process.

That would be evolution - most of the Pentax DNA is there, but something new has been added.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-17-2018 at 04:23 PM.
04-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe there just isn't enough room at the bottom of the camera, for a more advanced AF. With the K-1 they had to use some optic tricks, and it's still an APS-C AF.
Maybe they just want to include the Smart Function dials from the K-1 and KP. There are so many possibilities...
04-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is probably a New generation camera. Template for flagship models (ff, mf).
The interview suggested that not only is it Aps flagship, but k-mount flagship.
04-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"It's just about a few equations". "It's just a button". "Only a tiny feature". Are you a manager, by chance?

I'm not mystifying anything, this is the day to day reality. Software doesn't exist until we design it, write it, test it.
The K-1 couldn't have the new AF algorithms because they weren't designed, written in code, tested.

Tracking a subject is something a dragonfly can do better than a Pentax camera. And it didn't even have a programmer involved unless you are adherent to intelligent design. So why is that?
I take it managers are something you programmers look down on. My CONSTRUCTIVE criticism on business practices have nothing to do with how hard or not hard it is to program something. Am I a customer or a manager? In Both cases I don't care about that. Make it work or I'll hire someone else. The company is not always right. Of course i could not be critical at all about Camera's that I would buy a Sony with a Hasselblad logo and a nice wooden grip en say it is the best camera in the world. I would also buy all those fantastic new Meyer optik lenses.

04-17-2018, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #68
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Of course i could not be critical at all about Camera's that I would buy a Sony with a Hasselblad logo and a nice wooden grip en say it is the best camera in the world
Hey, I have one of those Sony / Hasselblad cosmetic re-brands (not with the wooden grip, though) and it's an awesome camera. Not the best in the world, but fantastic nonetheless. And I didn't pay $11,500 for it
04-17-2018, 04:08 PM - 4 Likes   #69
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It’s interesting that Arai-san’s description of the forthcoming APS-C high end model is very close to what Kimio Tanaka said after a recent event in Japan. I’m paraphrasing, but it was something like the camera would not be a simple continuation of the K-7 to K-3 lineage, but evolved into something new.

What’s interesting about that is that even the K-3, which had almost all components changed from the K-5ii, is still considered to part of the same lineage, while the new camera presumably had something more fundamentally new about it. My guess is either a new positioning closer to the D500 or some fairly major new technology. Of course, it could be just hype but from all the interviews, Arai-san seems a rather understated person. This makes me pretty excited about what it could be.

I can see why Ricoh would need to be cagey about the existence of such a camera, even if it were to be released at Photokina. It could damage sales of K-3 ii, KP and even the K-1. The fact that they are even talking about it makes me think it can’t be too far away.

So my take-away from the series of interviews is that the camera will be a big release. We have no idea about when it would be released, but my feeling is within a year.
04-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hope you're right.
04-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Point taken. That said, I could see this getting more manpower than a new lens project would at Sigma.
Do explain!

Pentax/Ricoh Imaging is a very small division, my guess is smaller than the privately owned Sigma.
04-17-2018, 07:09 PM - 2 Likes   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I take it managers are something you programmers look down on.
Just the pointy-haired variety.
They don't start out that way, but given enough time, the points grow.

Steve
04-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Do explain!

Pentax/Ricoh Imaging is a very small division, my guess is smaller than the privately owned Sigma.
It's all just hunches. We'll see what happens.
04-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, but PRIME wouldn't do focusing, either, Joergens.

It's an image processing engine.
Are you shure? As far as I understand,it's the main processor on the board, doing all the management, usb, sd-cards, focussing - with the data from the subsystems - and as one of the main tasks image processing. The AU is in the direct path from sensor to the prime IV doing a special signal preprocessing of the image data (Ricoh interview) and therefore freeing capacity on the main processor.

I didn't know / see another processor on the board
04-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Are you shure? As far as I understand,it's the main processor on the board, doing all the management, usb, sd-cards, focussing - with the data from the subsystems - and as one of the main tasks image processing. The AU is in the direct path from sensor to the prime IV doing a special signal preprocessing of the image data (Ricoh interview) and therefore freeing capacity on the main processor.

I didn't know / see another processor on the board
I assumed there's already a CPU on the mainboard to run the camera and they buy the customized PRIME image processor from Socionext to go with it ... no?