Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Ricoh releases API and SDK for RICOH THETA Plug-in Partner Program

Android developers can use this API/SDK to create plug-ins for the Theta V.
Ricoh releases API and SDK for RICOH THETA Plug-in Partner Program | Global | Ricoh

04-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is cool, but it should be strongly noted that SDK/API is fully limited to creation of plug-in code designed to run on the Theta itself. Cutting to the chase, the documentation may be found at...

RICOH THETA Plug-in

Note that Theta emulation is not included in the SDK and that one must have access to a Theta with appropriate firmware update in order to exercise and debug one's code.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-19-2018 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Accuracy
04-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good for the Theta.

But I wish they would release a API and SDK for the K-1 and other recent DSLR's.
04-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wish they won't, because that means putting Android in it and I have enough of that in my phone.

04-19-2018, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Good for the Theta.

But I wish they would release a API and SDK for the K-1 and other recent DSLR's.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wish they won't, because that means putting Android in it and I have enough of that in my phone.
Yes, the key is that the Theta is an Android device and exposes several of the standard Android APIs. This SDK is specifically a plug-in environment for the Theta. The exposed features are explained in the docs, but are intrinsically fairly limited. It is capable of extending the Theta's mutable features, but not by much.

An SDK for the K-1 and/or KP would be possible, but I would not expect it to expose any functionality not currently found in the Image Transmitter 2 software. Question...Why would Ricoh publish an API when they sell ($$$) software to do the same thing?

Steve
04-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Question...Why would Ricoh publish an API when they sell ($$$) software to do the same thing?
You could ask Microsoft the same thing.

The answer depends on the vision Ricoh has for the future of their platform, and the opportunities there may be for them to potentially expand it's value, defend themselves from competitors etc.
04-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Nope, plug-ins and APIs do not mean Android. But Android is a very convenient way to provide it and this they chose Android for Theta there's very little chance they'd (hypothetically)do otherwise for DSLRs.
04-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Right. But it doesn't mean making people develop for Softune REALOS/FR either. A new OS? And, since we're at it and the camera has probably 1GB RAM, new hardware is required as well?

04-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Right. But it doesn't mean making people develop for Softune REALOS/FR either. A new OS? And, since we're at it and the camera has probably 1GB RAM, new hardware is required as well?
Completely agree.