Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 207 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
same here, but it'll believe it when i see it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Availability of this lens in K-mount would be awesome! Any public statement?

Almost certainly a buy for me as well if it has auto-aperture - either at the "A" level (full control from the body) or even just the "M" level (control on the lens, but focus wide-open and auto-closing of the iris when firing).

04-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Venus Optics Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO

TIPA WORLD AWARDS 2020
BEST DSLR MACRO LENS
04-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
TIPA WORLD AWARDS 2020
BEST DSLR MACRO LENS
Well, ah, OK... The lens won an award. On the award page you linked to they state: "The lens comes with 5 different mounts for use on both DSLR and mirrorless cameras." On Laowa's own page for the lens, these mounts are listed as: Canon EF, Nikon AI, Sony FE, Nikon Z, Canon R. That's indeed five mounts, and doesn't include K-mount. So this hardly seems to confirm your statement that they've decided to produce a K-mount version. Note that I want to believe here - I just don't see how this confirms anything.
04-13-2020, 07:08 PM - 6 Likes   #64
Pentaxian

Well, ah, OK... The lens won an award. On the award page you linked to they state: "The lens comes with 5 different mounts for use on both DSLR and mirrorless cameras." On Laowa's own page for the lens, these mounts are listed as: Canon EF, Nikon AI, Sony FE, Nikon Z, Canon R. That's indeed five mounts, and doesn't include K-mount. So this hardly seems to confirm your statement that they've decided to produce a K-mount version. Note that I want to believe here - I just don't see how this confirms anything.
Because it is still in preparation and has not been officially released yet, my news comes from Mr. Li Dayong, the CEO of the Laowa.

04-14-2020, 12:55 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I promised myself some years ago I would not invest in another lens for my Pentax system until they bring out a new body ( IMO showing a little commitment to the brand would be nice ) but I would find this hard to resist.
04-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #66

…That's indeed five mounts, and doesn't include K-mount. So this hardly seems to confirm your statement that they've decided to produce a K-mount version.
there is another one with Pentax K mount included:
Laowa 60mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro – LAOWA Camera Lenses

But I would prefer the 100, or an even longer focal length

Cheers - Klaus
04-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #67
Pentaxian

i'd prefer not to shoot in the dark... the 60 doesn't even have an aperture lever, and 2:1 is pretty easy to get to with extension tubes.

if you want something longer, the irix 150 is great, and has auto aperture.

a 2:1 with auto aperture would be great, esp if it focuses to infinity! now if pentax would make the focus assist beam turn on with manual focus lenses, that would be even better. the newer cactus v6ii shoots a nice focus assist light (don't need a flashlight at night now) but it doesn't get triggered with mf lenses unfortunately.

04-15-2020, 05:34 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Because it is still in preparation and has not been officially released yet, my news comes from Mr. Li Dayong, the CEO of the Laowa.
Alright, that's a pretty good source... I'd still like to see an official announcement to know a bit more (date, and especially will it have aperture coupling).

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I promised myself some years ago I would not invest in another lens for my Pentax system until they bring out a new body ( IMO showing a little commitment to the brand would be nice ) but I would find this hard to resist.
Yes, I share your concern. The K-New seems to be on the horizon, but it's really taking its sweet time. Still, a reasonably priced 2:1 100mm with aperture coupling? I'm there!

QuoteOriginally posted by Klaus Quote
Yes, I am aware of the 60mm, but like sclulptor666, I much prefer shooting with a lens that has aperture coupling. Otherwise, IMHO, you might as well be shooting reversed lenses.

Last edited by Doundounba; 04-15-2020 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo
04-15-2020, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

Laowa 60mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro – LAOWA Camera Lenses
There is an upcoming review of that lens on Pentaxforums Stay tuned.
04-15-2020, 06:45 AM   #70

Yes, I am aware of the 60mm, but like sclulptor666, I much prefer shooting with a lens that has aperture coupling. Otherwise, IMHO, you might as well be shooting reversed lenses.
Stacked, reversed lenses, bellows or extension tubes don't give you continuous focus/magnification from 2× to infinity without having to dismount the lens or add/remove attachments. So there are pros and cons either way.
04-15-2020, 06:58 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Stacked, reversed lenses, bellows or extension tubes don't give you continuous focus/magnification from 2× to infinity without having to dismount the lens or add/remove attachments. So there are pros and cons either way.
If possible, I prefer a TC or close up lenses to get more scale. With a 100mm lens you need 100mm of extension to double scale. That's a lot…

Cheers
Klaus

---------- Post added 04-15-2020 at 04:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
if you want something longer, the irix 150 is great, and has auto aperture.
You are right. the irix is interesting.

The only thing I don't like too much is that it reduces focal length quite a lot at maximum scale.

Minimum Focussing distance is 345 mm, in comparison with 303 of the pentax 100/2.8 WR.

The sigma 180 has 470 mm.

The Lanthar 125 has 380 mm.

A shame that the sigma is no longer produced with pentax mount, and that the Voigtlaender Lanthar is out of production for many years.

Cheers - Klaus
04-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
.... So there are pros and cons either way.
Definitely. For me, I'd much rather have aperture coupling than infinity focus, for example. But everyone has their own set of priorities. If I could have the perfect macro lens, for me that would be a lens that gives me 1:3 to 3:1 - like I said, I don't really need infinity focus - with aperture coupling, weather sealed and not too heavy (F/4 better than F/2.8, for example), with decent but not too much working distance. (Working distance is a trade-off between less chance of spooking critters versus needing more flash power.) So, maybe something like a 100mm F/4, l33t macro.

Currently, my solution is to walk around with the D-FA 100mm WR with Raynox DCR-250 pre-mounted. That gives me 0.8:1 to 2:1 with aperture coupling, and I've been pretty happy with that (on APS-C). I carry the HD DA 1.4X tele-converter in case I need more magnification. I do sometimes use it, but it's a pain to put on and you might loose sight of the critter while doing it. On the other end of the spectrum, if I spot a non-macro shot, I usually just... don't shoot it.
04-15-2020, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

You are right. the irix is interesting.The only thing I don't like too much is that it reduces focal length quite a lot at maximum scale.Minimum Focussing distance is 345 mm, in comparison with 303 of the pentax 100/2.8 WR.The sigma 180 has 470 mm.The Lanthar 125 has 380 mm.A shame that the sigma is no longer produced with pentax mount, and that the Voigtlaender Lanthar is out of production for many year
the 150 is way easier at 1:1 than the 180, i have both. it isn't any longer than the 100 at 1:1 since it's internal focusing, so easier to get light on the subject. i haven't has a chance to use both (150 and 180) against each other yet, but it's starting to warm up, so maybe over the next few weeks. i did rough measurements from the subject to the end of the lens a few weeks ago in another thread:

doing very quick unscientific measurements (i'll do better ones before too long). distance from end of lens to subject in focus at 1:1

pentax dfa 100mm 5"
irix 150mm 7"
sigma 180mm 7.5"
04-15-2020, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
the 150 is way easier at 1:1 than the 180, i have both. it isn't any longer than the 100 at 1:1 since it's internal focusing…
That's good to know. I did't know it is internal focus. Working distance is more important than minimal focussing distance. I am tempted with the Irix 150. Will be watching :-)

Cheers - Klaus
04-16-2020, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

That's good to know. I did't know it is internal focus. Working distance is more important than minimal focussing distance. I am tempted with the Irix 150. Will be watching :-)
Have you seen:

Irix 150mm F2.8 Macro Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews