Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 207 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2020, 06:37 PM - 3 Likes   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I also really prefer a simple A-Implementation over the semi-correct IRIX one, which doesn't work with most extension rings and neither with the DA teleconverter. @Doundounba, I'd be interested if they got the lever angle to aperture relation right, i.e. if exposure at different F-Stops is reasonably consistent.
Yes, if I understand you correctly, AFAICT, at the "eyeball-the-histogram" level it's very good. Meaning that I can shoot full manual with flash and change (say) the aperture by 2/3 of a stop, bump up the flash by the same amount, and shoot again, then repeat that a few more times, and the histogram stays nearly identical.

Here are a few more samples from the album I linked to previously (but no one follows that type of text-only link, I guess). Click through on each image for higher res.

Wasp on Vine Tree
by Pascal Gaudette, on Flickr

The Wasp and the Grapes (#4)

The following is probably my best shot with the lens so far. I was starting to get to know it a bit... It's a two-frame focus stack at 2:1 of a picture-wing fly (Delphinia picta), a species I hadn't seen in a few years! OK, maybe it's not the prettiest creature in the universe, but it is arresting in its own way, IMHO. Frame is about 10mm wide here.

Painted-Wing Fly (#1)

And here is a slightly more portrait-y shot. I uploaded this one in full resolution over on Flickr...

Russian Doll

Last edited by Doundounba; 11-15-2020 at 06:46 PM.
11-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Meaning that I can shoot full manual with flash and change (say) the aperture by 2/3 of a stop, bump up the flash by the same amount, and shoot again, then repeat that a few more times, and the histogram stays nearly identical.
Thanks, exactly what I was curios about.
Here are a few more samples from the album I linked to previously (but no one follows that type of text-only link, I guess).
I did, and really liked it.
11-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #288

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba QuoteHere are a few more samples from the album I linked to previously (but no one follows that type of text-only link, I guess).I did, and really liked it.
I also clicked it, really nice pictures!
I'll attempt to get the lens once I can figure out where to get it in Japan.
11-15-2020, 11:52 PM   #289
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
20 only ? Thought it was changed to longer. My bad.
Stupid oversight then IMO.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In most countries patent validity / protection is 20 years from the day of filing the patent request.

KAF (1987) has been in the public domain since more than a decade. KAF includes basic lens-body digital transmission: lens focal length, distance to subject, selected f-stop and other information.

Venus Optics would have been entitled to use KAF / KA2 (which is KAF less AF) protocols for their Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro Apo, should have they wished to do so.

11-16-2020, 01:34 AM   #290
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
20 only ? Thought it was changed to longer. My bad.
Stupid oversight then IMO.
If I remember correctly how patent stuff works, the patent would probably not have had enough information to make things easy for a third party, and Ricoh certainly wouldn't be obligated to divulge anything - the loss of patent protection is more or less equivalent to making reverse-engineering legal.
11-16-2020, 02:30 AM   #291
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
If I remember correctly how patent stuff works, the patent would probably not have had enough information to make things easy for a third party, and Ricoh certainly wouldn't be obligated to divulge anything - the loss of patent protection is more or less equivalent to making reverse-engineering legal.
Reverse engineering is legal most of the time isn't it?
Well, again it depends where I guess.
11-16-2020, 06:05 AM   #292
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There is no need to purchase the K-mount version to use auto exposure on an E-mount camera. The Canon EF mount version available since June 2019, together with any Canon EF - Sony E adapter ensuring electronic coupling between lens and camera (Altson, Andoer, Camdiox, Camera Plus, Commlite, DLC, Fotga, Fotodiox, Hausbell, JinTu, K&F Concept, King, Kipon, Kooka, Koolertron, Laina, Meike, Metabones, Opteka, Pictools, Pixco, RJ, Selens, Sigma, Signstek, Stok, Techart, Viltrox, Walimex, Yongnuo, Zhuoming and more), will do the job.
Good point. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
You know you have arrived when lens manufacturer presents you with one of their products and they've had your name engraved on it!
Oh, to see that happen to me one day!

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Just thinking out loud, but this lens, along with the Raynox 150 and 250, would pretty much cover the entire envelope of the Laowa 25mm 2.5-5x Ultra Macro. Though bigger and heavier, it would have automatic aperture, and infinity capability.
Good points also!

OK, a few thoughts and shots from my upcoming write-up.
Thanks for those comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I am definitely looking forward to a full review of this.
I will happen, I might be set to get it after DounDounba

11-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #293
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
(...)

I will happen, I might be set to get it after DounDounba
Great, looking forward to reading your review.
11-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #294
Veteran Member

My current setup to get the 2x is to use Tokina Macro extender (bought together with Tokina 90mm 2.5 1:2 macro) which surprisely works well with Tamron 90mm F2.8. The shortcoming is that the combo loses the ability to focus anything lower than 1x.

With Laowa 100mm F2.8 2:1, I might get the ability to reach 4:1 with auto aperature control....
11-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #295

I don't shoot macro in the field so if I want greater than 1× I'll use bellows and 50mm lens or shorter. Not a rig I would really want to shoot in the field with.
11-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't shoot macro in the field so if I want greater than 1× I'll use bellows and 50mm lens or shorter. Not a rig I would really want to shoot in the field with.
That extreme macro site suggests lens stacking will give better results.
11-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I've come across that finding in couple of places too; photomacrography.net and closeuphotography.com have both pointed out that for the same magnification, lens stacking results in less light loss, not as small an effective aperture, as simple extension.
11-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #298
Veteran Member

Should be. Tried out today for 2:1 (Tokina Macro Extender + Tamron 90 2.8). It is almost not possible to put any non-flat plane all in focus...
11-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #299
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is kind of sad. I have a lovely bellows I never use.
11-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #300
Pentaxian

It is kind of sad. I have a lovely bellows I never use.
It's been years since I pulled out my Pentax bellows. I'm also wondering how one lights subjects like the ones that Doundounba shows at the top of this page.