Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 08:53 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax Ricoh Professional service

Ricoh Japan has announced a new support service for professionals in Japan. The announcement is here.

Google Translate

I’m not sure if this is likely to be offered overseas, but it’s good for everyone in the sense that it shows commitment to the brand in the long term. It’s certainly not what you’d expect of a company that’s planning to wind down business, as some are still trying to suggest.

04-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Excellent news, thanks JPT !
04-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's definitely a good news I hope that someday we will experience this kind of service in Europe. As for now, repair and service centre is the weakest spot of Pentax brand distribution chain here.
04-27-2018, 12:02 AM - 6 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, there are some strategies in progress for a pro service and a rental service.
Maybe more in September,it's not allowed to talk about.
But only that, Pentax is not sleeping anymore.
But Pentax is still small and only 1.6 percent of Ricoh,so anything needs a little bit longer.
We are hoping that Pentax bring a new roadmap,it would be a very nice gift I think
Best regards

04-27-2018, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I hope they'll extend that worldwide.
Not for me, as I'm not making a penny out of photography.
04-27-2018, 02:19 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does sound like they are systematically addressing the things people complain about - we'll soon have to start a new thread to find new things to complain about
05-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #7

I only wish the service in US is cheaper, Precision Camera charges 3 hundreds USD, even for smallest fix(let me know if I am wrong)
Somehow...I left a mark with my nail on the focus screen on top of the mirror of my K-1, totally my fault, I never expect it is so fragile...

05-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #8

There used to be this service in the US but Ricoh discontinued it. They seemed to have replaced it with the 645z Advantage Program (which appears to have disappeared off the US Ricoh Imaging Site again - seems to come and go randomly).

Pentax Professional Services - PentaxForums.com
PENTAX Professional Services - PentaxForums.com
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...s-program.html
Ricoh Imaging Announces New Service and Support Program for PENTAX 645Z Camera System

Here's the press release from 2008 via archive.org:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130130075521/http://pentaximaging.com/about/pr...EDITED_REPAIRS

QuoteQuote:
January 31, 2008
PENTAX ANNOUNCES PRO PROGRAM: BENEFITS INCLUDE EQUIPMENT LOANS AND EXPEDITED REPAIRS

PENTAX ANNOUNCES PRO PROGRAM:

BENEFITS INCLUDE EQUIPMENT LOANS AND EXPEDITED REPAIRS

GOLDEN, CO. (January 31, 2008)…PENTAX Imaging Company has announced a PENTAX Professional Services program (PPS) to support professional photographers with several services and benefits. Designed exclusively to support PENTAX products for the working pro, membership is complimentary and limited to working professional photographers.

Known for superior photography products including the K series of digital SLR camera bodies that are compatible with every PENTAX lens ever made, PENTAX systems allow lens interchangeability for a multitude of photographic options. PENTAX will continue to release new and exciting lenses including super fast, special purpose, impressive zoom ranges, and telephoto lenses that will incorporate the new SDM (Supersonic Drive Motor) technology for ultra fast and quiet auto-focusing.

Benefits to members of the new PPS program include:
· 72 hour rush turnaround on most PENTAX digital SLR repairs. (Repair charges may be incurred depending on existing or extended warranty programs.)
· Short-term equipment loans that allow photographers to evaluate equipment prior to an actual purchase and/or borrow unique or limited availability lenses for one-time shoots.
· Direct access to dedicated customer service representatives in PENTAX headquarters to answer technical questions, arrange product loans, or monitor equipment through the repair process to make sure the repair process is timely.

PPS membership is limited to PENTAX professional photographers who derive 51 percent or more of their annual income from photography. Membership may be obtained by completing a PENTAX Professional Service program application. Interested photographers are asked to complete the application, provide an original signature and mail it to the address listed on the form (fax or e-mail copies of this application will not be accepted). PENTAX will notify new members about acceptance within 2-3 weeks. At the time of acceptance, PENTAX will provide more information about rush repair servicing, short-term product loans, and a list of the contact information for PPS customer service representatives who will be able to assist with any aspect of the PPS program, products and services.

For more information about the PENTAX Professional Services program including an application, e-mail customer.followup@pentax.com or call 1-800-877-0155 (press “0” and ask to speak to PENTAX Professional Services).

PENTAX Imaging Company is an innovative leader in the production of digital SLR and compact cameras, lenses, flash units, binoculars, scopes, eyepieces and mobile printers and scanners. For more than 80 years, PENTAX technology has developed durable, reliable products that meet the needs of consumers and businesses. With headquarters in Golden, Colorado, PENTAX Imaging Company is a division of PENTAX of America, Inc.

# # #

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-03-2018 at 09:34 AM.
05-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigfoxkiB Quote
I only wish the service in US is cheaper, Precision Camera charges 3 hundreds USD, even for smallest fix
How would you suggest Precision Photo otherwise pay for office space, parts, equipment, electric, heat, internet, employee benefits, and pay salaries that would attract qualified employees?
Extended warranty is cheaper than the fix.
05-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
How would you suggest Precision Photo otherwise pay for office space, parts, equipment, electric, heat, internet, employee benefits, and pay salaries that would attract qualified employees?
Extended warranty is cheaper than the fix.
I fully understand.
Just out of curious, does other place for "Majority brand" cost hundreds for small fix too? This is my first time to send camera to repair.
Luckily the marks are close to the edge and corner, guess I need to treat it like the sensor. So I can wait until pass fall to send it in.
05-03-2018, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by bigfoxkiB Quote
I fully understand.
Just out of curious, does other place for "Majority brand" cost hundreds for small fix too? This is my first time to send camera to repair.
Luckily the marks are close to the edge and corner, guess I need to treat it like the sensor. So I can wait until pass fall to send it in.
The prices are about the same for Sony. Just run an estimate:
http://repair-camera.com/SonyRepairHome.aspx

From the Nikon estimator:
The problems you reported are:
Exposure Problem
Focus Problem
The estimated cost to repair your D850 is:
$304.00*

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-03-2018 at 12:04 PM.
05-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish they could repair their equipment themselves, I had pretty bad experiences with Precision Camera so far :/
05-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony and, I think, Nikon also use Precision.
05-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Sony and, I think, Nikon also use Precision.
Does Nikon/Sony use them for their professional programs? I know they service a vast majority of brands. Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a better service out there, thought free market suppose to weed out companies like that..
05-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The prices are about the same for Sony. Just run an estimate:
http://repair-camera.com/SonyRepairHome.aspx

From the Nikon estimator:
The problems you reported are:
Exposure Problem
Focus Problem
The estimated cost to repair your D850 is:
$304.00*
I see, thank you.
My mind must have underestimated the cost of camera repairing.

---------- Post added 05-03-18 at 01:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Does Nikon/Sony use them for their professional programs? I know they service a vast majority of brands. Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a better service out there, thought free market suppose to weed out companies like that..
Sony has phototech for NYC, not sure do they repair Sony camera from other place.
My friend went there with her A7RII for the fried chip after one week on trip. (One more reason to hold my horse on Sony)
Took about 7 days if I remember correctly to get her camera back.