Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2008, 04:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

These Samples are PhotoShopped!

QuoteOriginally posted by IlmarsM Quote
In this page:
PENTAX
Look at sample photo #2 and take full size download - this picture has 17.4mp resolution. Could it mean that we can expect K20D super with new sensor?
I must say its rather ridiculous for Pentax USA to post all re-touched images by Photoshop editor as samples, either downsized or upscaled. It is NOT logical afterall and meaningless for the purpose of a "download the full size image" option which should be meant for anyone who wish inspect the *original* photos!

They are stupid enough to delete the EXIFs, but a more careful inspection could reveal that there are still three tags left: JFIF, Adobe and Ducky, which just mean that all these posted "original"(!?) images are just PS-ed ones!

See:-

Feedback on Ducky and defeating DidTheyReadIt - Network World

Yet another the very stupid thing of the world's first by Pentax again! Sad, frankly.. They just don't know what an original sample image is and for those samples are for! and why they should post the originals but not the edited/altered ones!!

09-10-2008, 05:14 AM   #17

^ The Voice of Honest, Independent, Unbiased Wisdom Has Spoken: Please All Pay Attention.
09-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If they are coming out with a FF camera then I hope it is right in the 17.4 mega pixel range. I think 12 is a bit low for FF and I think Sony's new 24.6 megapixel sensor is too much. It is no better than APS-C at ISO1600, it just has more pixels. I think 16-18megapixels would be a happy average.

Of course since this is a DA35 sample I assume we're talking APS-C here. I cringe at the thought of a 17 megapixel APS-C sensor.
09-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Fully Agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
If they are coming out with a FF camera then I hope it is right in the 17.4 mega pixel range. I think 12 is a bit low for FF and I think Sony's new 24.6 megapixel sensor is too much. It is no better than APS-C at ISO1600, it just has more pixels. I think 16-18megapixels would be a happy average.
Yes, fully agree.

QuoteQuote:
Of course since this is a DA35 sample I assume we're talking APS-C here. I cringe at the thought of a 17 megapixel APS-C sensor.
Yes, I think you're also right here. Actually, the "full size samples" are just all PhotoShopped as posted by Pentax Imaging/USA so that the pixel counts are changed, see my explanation in a post above.

09-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Yes, fully agree.

Yes, I think you're also right here. Actually, the "full size samples" are just all PhotoShopped as posted by Pentax Imaging/USA so that the pixel counts are changed, see my explanation in a post above.
If you call that personal attack of yours explanation then you are weirdo ...
09-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
^ The Voice of Honest, Independent, Unbiased Wisdom Has Spoken: Please All Pay Attention.
I always do
09-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Rice,

if this was a film camera, would you have camera manufacturers hand out negative slides at press conferences, or A4 high quality carefully developed prints, made in labs outfitted with expensive equipment?

Photoshop, if you will, is todays darkroom, there is no shame in presenting the public with a finished product

because that is all that matters, the end result.

which is photography, real photography, is all about.

now, if the point is to create a camera that requires zero effort on behalf of the user that spits out world class images all on its own.. well, that should warrant a separate thread all together.

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I must say its rather ridiculous for Pentax USA to post all re-touched images by Photoshop editor as samples, either downsized or upscaled. It is NOT logical afterall and meaningless for the purpose of a "download the full size image" option which should be meant for anyone who wish inspect the *original* photos!

They are stupid enough to delete the EXIFs, but a more careful inspection could reveal that there are still three tags left: JFIF, Adobe and Ducky, which just mean that all these posted "original"(!?) images are just PS-ed ones!

See:-

Feedback on Ducky and defeating DidTheyReadIt - Network World

Yet another the very stupid thing of the world's first by Pentax again! Sad, frankly.. They just don't know what an original sample image is and for those samples are for! and why they should post the originals but not the edited/altered ones!!
09-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems that much of this argument is for a niche that was filled by the 645 and 67 or for that matter large format in previous years. It sounds like RH is making a case for the 645D.

09-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hell 10 to 14 mgs is more than enough, anything more is just showing off to uneducated amateurs.
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #25
Moderator PEG Judges

A wee wait and see will make us all love it more if and when it arrives
09-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It seems that much of this argument is for a niche that was filled by the 645 and 67 or for that matter large format in previous years.
Yes, I also get that feeling. And if it is right Pentax must have realized that also. As soon as FF came up for discussion. But which did they go for? FF or 645? Did they start on FF when they put the 645D on ice?

(yes a 645 is on my wish list, but don't know if I would want it digital..would make my computers too small, and probably the price of 645 lenses would jump up, getting them further away from my budget reach)
09-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

why go MF though?

i had a chance to handle a Pentax 645 when i was about to buy one

and then i realized "why?"

this is such a specialized tool, i think its silly to demand pentax jump straight into digital MF land.

why? to compete with the already established giants?

are all of you people going to magicaly jump and buy the digital 645? seriously now?

what about the lenses?

come on.
09-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's 'easier' to Pentax to go 645:

* Need less lenses (motly already on the market)
* Need less high-end spec to compete
* No low price pressure (yet) but they could introduce that...

Of course if they can't make dollars out of it, Hoya will never accept (and they'd be right).
09-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I think there is a far better chance we will see a 135 format DSLR that has a dedicated adaptor for 645 lenses, then we will see the 645D.

As I understand it, the 645D was to use a sensor that is 24mm x 36mm. So why drop it into a 645 sized body? Why not put the 645D's sensor, cpu etc into an SLR sized body, and it is the Pentax Full Frame camera. Add the adaptor for the 645 lenses, and you now cover both markets. Full Frame people, and 645D people.

Is there a reason that I am missing that the body needs to be sized and shaped like the 645? Can an adaptor not allow all the 645 lenses to be used?
09-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Brilliant Thinking!

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I think there is a far better chance we will see a 135 format DSLR that has a dedicated adaptor for 645 lenses, then we will see the 645D.

As I understand it, the 645D was to use a sensor that is 24mm x 36mm. So why drop it into a 645 sized body? Why not put the 645D's sensor, cpu etc into an SLR sized body, and it is the Pentax Full Frame camera. Add the adaptor for the 645 lenses, and you now cover both markets. Full Frame people, and 645D people.

Is there a reason that I am missing that the body needs to be sized and shaped like the 645? Can an adaptor not allow all the 645 lenses to be used?
Actually, if Pentax could have the eagle eye you have, they hadn't wasted so much time and money for the 645D project and yet still needed to shelf the project.

If they made a 135 FF earlier (and not abandoned the film lens line), now that the market leader could have included Pentax, not only Canon and Nikon!