Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will download the DNG and give it a look-see as other than PNG.
Below is a snippet from a dcraw-created TIFF of the ISO 102400 DNG viewed at 3:1 along with the OP's image for comparison.

My snippet on the left and the OP's snippet on the right

I am not seeing the Chex pattern and suggest that it is an artifact of the RAW converter or subsequent processing.

Steve

* -v -o 2 -6 -T options

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-07-2018 at 04:34 PM.
05-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K1 mk II images in their Studio Comparison tool took a hit in quality at moderate ISO settings, like 6400. I think the noise reduction was too aggressive and some of the detail was washed away with the noise. At higher ISO settings, like 51200, the noise reduction in the K1 mk II helped. The noise levels are starting to overwhelm the image and removing the noise made the image data stand out more.

I agree that the new noise reduction algorithm ought to be configurable. Some may want it on all the time, like images taken at high ISO and poor light, and some may want it off, like images taken at high ISO and good light. Or, maybe the noise reduction is great on bright sunny days when you need 1/2000 at f/8 and 450mm? Maybe some details in something like fine feathers will be washed away, like 5%, but 90% of the noise vanishes too! Therefore, a 5% hit may be OK. There could be many use cases we are not coming up with.

On a separate and unrelated note, the AF test results are encouraging but hard to see as conclusive. They tested performance using the D-FA 70-200mm and I'm not sure how quick that lens focuses. Could something like the D-FA 24-70mm or 28-105mm see a greater improvement?
05-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boris; The D FA70-200 is very fast and extremely accurate.
05-07-2018, 05:45 PM - 5 Likes   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think DPR's findings validate our preliminary conclusions about the K-1 II. Overall there is noticeable noise reduction applied, but it does come at the expense of detail. No free lunch here, since the sensor is unchanged.

But since this level of pixel-peeping is required to spot differences between raw files, for all practical purposes, IMO, it's a question of personal preference. Both cameras are good.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What was the original intent of this thread?
I'm a bit lost here.
05-07-2018, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What was the original intent of this thread?
I'm a bit lost here.
I think the OP wanted to share the link to the DPR forum post from Bill the photontophotos guy and to also show their own discovery of geometric artifact that might be characteristic of K-1II RAW files or might be the result of processing.

Steve

(...the truth is out there...somewhere...)
05-07-2018, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #22
ogl
Banned

The same situation with PF's tests - loss of details of K-1II. It's pity that there is NR in RAW....
Need new firmware for K-1II.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/hands-on-reviews/k-1-ii-vs-k-1-noise-image-quality.html

05-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #23
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

But since this level of pixel-peeping is required to spot differences between raw files, for all practical purposes, IMO, it's a question of personal preference. Both cameras are good.
But we see the results and the difference is not low at higher ISO....The real loss of details.
05-08-2018, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe someone here should do the test. I think that would be more reliable. Sorry not that I don't trust DPR, I'd prefer that the test be done by a pentaxforums staff.
05-08-2018, 02:01 AM   #25
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
To me it looks like the photograph of a bedroom carpet (without a macro lens).
Incredible that you can identify the room where the shot was taken! I'll bet no other camera can do that

---------- Post added 08-05-18 at 10:03 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It certainly is impressive what you can see when you magnify your 100K images to 3:1. I just tried it with my K-1 and I actually found a missing copy of the Declaration of Independence.
I expect this would apply only to the US version of the K1II, no?
05-08-2018, 02:16 AM   #26
Zav
Pentaxian

Is ISO 6400 really moderate nowadays? :-)
05-08-2018, 03:13 AM   #27
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Maybe someone here should do the test. I think that would be more reliable. Sorry not that I don't trust DPR, I'd prefer that the test be done by a pentaxforums staff.
No any difference between PF and DPR
05-08-2018, 03:56 AM - 9 Likes   #28
JPT
Pentaxian

There are a few things I find very strange about this.

- DPR put up a gallery of full-size samples, which most commenters praised for their high ISO ability. I didn’t see many complaints at that stage.
- The criticisms come now, after a highly unnatural test chart shot, with a decentered lens.
- One alarming comment in the review said that this would probably cause it to eat stars, which means that they hadn’t tested it, but were prepared to make that assumption anyway.
- The banding issue with the Sony A7 III actually has the potential to be destructive to the whole image, but it was dismissed as unimportant. It really feels like double standards at work.
- The hand-held Pixel Shift function is shown to be better than a normal shot (i.e. working), but not enough to get any credit. In fact they try to discredit it by saying you can do the same thing with any camera manually through a multi-step procedure, while complaining about the 25-second processing time.

As far as I’m concerned the K-1 II is probably the most capable Pentax ever in the real world. It has great detail and very low visible noise at any reasonable print size. It improves AF, which has been a weakness. It’s not a miracle, but a good camera.

I’ve always been hesitant to criticize DPR, because even if I disagreed with their conclusion, I thought I got enough objective information on the way. I’ve changed my mind.

Last edited by JPT; 05-08-2018 at 04:51 AM.
05-08-2018, 04:38 AM   #29
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
- The criticisms come now, after a highly unnatural test chart shot, with a decentered lens.
PF had decentered lens too?

As for pixel-shift, DPR had tests about PF and I would say it's positive.
Pentax K-1 II's hand-held 'Dynamic' Pixel Shift mode is not quite what you think it is: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by ogl; 05-08-2018 at 05:11 AM.
05-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There are a few things I find very strange about this.

- DPR put up a gallery of full-size samples, which most commenters praised for their high ISO ability. I didn’t see many complaints at that stage.
- One alarming comment in the review said that this would probably cause it to eat stars, which means that they hadn’t tested it, but were prepared to make that assumption anyway.
- The banding issue with the Sony A7 III actually has the potential to be destructive to the whole image, but it was dismissed as unimportant. It really feels like double standards at work.
- The hand-held Pixel Shift function is shown to be better than a normal shot (i.e. working), but not enough to get any credit. In fact they try to discredit it by saying you can do the same thing with any camera manually through a multi-step procedure, while complaining about the 25-second processing time.

As far as I’m concerned the K-1 II is probably the most capable Pentax ever in the real world. It has great detail and very low visible noise at any reasonable print size. It improves AF, which has been a weakness. It’s not a miracle, but a good camera.

I’ve always been hesitant to criticize DPR, because even if I disagreed with their conclusion, I thought I got enough objective information on the way. I’ve changed my mind.
Thank you for this résumé
Closed Thread