Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 95 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
First SDKs designed for use with PENTAX-brand digital SLR cameras
I's saw a video and was impressed with the "Focus Stacking" feature from the Nikon D850

I think that, if the SDK gives the control over the sensor position and control the focus of the lens, we can make a Focus Stacking and, even better, a Macro-Focus Stacking.

Let's play with the SDK.

09-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #107
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
I's saw a video and was impressed with the "Focus Stacking" feature from the Nikon D850

Focus Stacking

I think that, if the SDK gives the control over the sensor position and control the focus of the lens, we can make a Focus Stacking and, even better, a Macro-Focus Stacking.

Let's play with the SDK.
Recently I did a tethered focus stack with IT2 and wished this feature would have been available. Focus can be controlled from the software, but there is no automated process to trigger and move the focus x times in a row.
09-12-2018, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Focus can be controlled from the software, but there is no automated process to trigger and move the focus x times in a row.
That's is the magic of Software Developer Kit: you can build your own application or "software" that will automate "any" process your imagination + features available by de SDK can give. That's why We're so happy

In the past, I'd used several SDK in my work as software programmer: Fingerprint engine to Identify users, fast jpg's Image processing for surveillance still images mimic video, RF id for mass item identification, barcode printer, interface to ERPs, etc. You'd got the idea.

By now, I'd no time to check the Ricoh SDK's avaliables functions + I DO NOT have a compatible camera, but by studing the SDK I can have an overall idea of the SDK potencial.

I'd found today, and I hope, this weekend, I'll have time to overview the SDK

09-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

process to trigger and move the focus x times in a row
In the C++ SDK there is a function to "focus" in a point before capturing the image

KP 27 focus points

K1 33 focus points

So Focus Stacking is limited by the camera's focus points: 27 in KP and 33 in K1. We can select the Diagonal, Vertical or Horizontal contiguos Focus points to make a serie of "focus on x point & capture"

Interesting.

Last edited by carabez; 09-13-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Insert K1 Focus point
09-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #110
Veteran Member

In the C++ SDK there is a function to "focus" in a point before capturing the image

KP 27 focus points

K1 33 focus points

So Focus Stacking is limited by the camera's focus points: 27 in KP and 33 in K1. We can select the Diagonal, Vertical or Horizontal contiguos Focus points to make a serie of "focus on x point & capture"

Interesting.
Is this going to be useful with the focus points all near the center? If I was doing a landscape focus stack. I would likely focus once near the bottom, once near the middle (center) and once near the top.

But with the small area that we have focus points I can only see focusing on the center. Even if I selected the top and bottom focus point, I feel they are to close to the center to be a true focus stack.

I would want to focus stack at these 3 points. the 3 red X's below
Attached Images

09-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I would want to focus stack at these 3 points. the 3 red X's below
virtual Response focus (const Point &point)=0
Performs auto focus at specified focus point

&point = x, y structure

It seems that you can focus any &point (x,y)... I wonder if that point is a x,y coordinate to any part of the sensor or just is the reference to a static focus point?

I'd assume that the &point references to a camera's focus point, wich make me sense as the SDK is a way to do, via software, what a human can do via the camera controls.

If the &point can be any X,Y location of the sensor... well... Wow!

Camera Controller Class Reference

camera setting

QuoteQuote:
If you want to obtain a LiveViewImage object from the acquired LiveViewSpecification, use the get method of LiveViewSpecificationValue, which stores the actual value in the LiveViewSpecification object.

LiveViewImage object has height and width size of the live view image and the range where focus position can be specified on the live view image. focusArea represents the upper left corner of the live view image as (0.0, 0.0), the upper right as (1.0, 0.0), the lower left as (0.0, 1.0), and the lower right as (1.0, 1.0). The inside of the area represented by each point included in focusArea is the position specifiable range.

This information is used by Focus with Specified Position.

Last edited by carabez; 09-13-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Add: Liveview
09-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #112
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP 27 focus points

K1 33 focus points

Interesting.
Interesting. I may add that I am not a programmer unfortunately. However, for focus stacking, autofocus might be not the best way to go. Ideally the focus can be moved back and forth in increments of xyz. Example how I do it:

Step 1: User focusses on the front most focus point and takes a picture.
Step 2: User moves the focus a tiny bit forward and takes a picture.
Step 3: Repeat Step 2 until the last focus point at the back of the subject.

The screenshot shows the buttons for moving the focus forwad or backwards. One tiny increment per click. The arrows show where I needed the focussing points. These are about 30 clicks apart each.

virtual Response focus (const Point &point)=0
Performs auto focus at specified focus point

&point = x, y structure

It seems that you can focus any &point (x,y)... I wonder if that point is a x,y coordinate to any part of the sensor or just is the reference to a static focus point?

I'd assume that the &point references to a camera's focus point, wich make me sense as the SDK is a way to do, via software, what a human can do via the camera controls.

If the &point can be any X,Y location of the sensor... well... Wow!

Camera Controller Class Reference

camera setting
Putting it anywhere on the screen would be nice. In Live View the focus point can move almost anyhwere on the screen except the far edges. In the screen shot the focus point is as far left as the software allows (the square)

Attached Images

09-13-2018, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Putting it anywhere on the screen would be nice. In Live View the focus point can move almost anyhwere on the screen except the far edges.
In fact, that is what the &point parameter in focus(&point) function is intended for: to put the focus anywhere on the screen. I WAS confusing that &point with the Camera's "Focus points".

Here is how the x,y position must be compute:

Quote:
If you want to obtain a LiveViewImage object from the acquired LiveViewSpecification, use the get method of LiveViewSpecificationValue, which stores the actual value in the LiveViewSpecification object.

LiveViewImage object has height and width size of the live view image and the range where focus position can be specified on the live view image. focusArea represents the upper left corner of the live view image as (0.0, 0.0), the upper right as (1.0, 0.0), the lower left as (0.0, 1.0), and the lower right as (1.0, 1.0). The inside of the area represented by each point included in focusArea is the position specifiable range.

This information is used by Focus with Specified Position.

Last edited by carabez; 09-13-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: sitax
10-17-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #114

Any news or documentation on Pentax programs in development using the SDKs?
10-18-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CPLTarun Quote
Pentax programs in development using the SDKs?
I have not a Ricoh SDK's compatible camera, but this new SDK opened my eyes to a deep research... so I'd looked at the open source option: PkTriggerCord and Melda.info

As a matter of wish, I'm interested in building a Windows Library or DLL to be used in C++ with this scope in mind: To Mimic the Ricoh C++ SDK functions and parameters so any software developed will be compatible with both the Ricoh's SDK Library or the PKCord Library but allowing a wide range of compatible cameras. So if you want to use a new Camera device you can use to the Ricoh's SDK or by switching to the PKCord Library you will be able to interface the old Cameras.

10-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this new SDK opened my eyes to a deep research
You just have to look at this table:
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
10-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
You just have to look at this table:
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
Wow! that's great. Thank You!
12-02-2018, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #118
Pentaxian

Little update about that Dragonframe program. They have now 4.1.4 version, which includes, Pentax KP, K-1, K1II and 645 Z. So you have full controll of your camera with this program, and these released SDKS made it possible.

Last edited by repaap; 12-02-2018 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Replaced a word
12-02-2018, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Little update about that Dragonframe program. They have now 4.1.4 version, which includes, Pentax KP, K-1, K1II and 645 Z. So you have full controll of your camera with this program, and these released SDKS made it possible.
Pentax K-1 Setup Instructions for Dragonframe
Camera Support - Dragonframe

Very nice!

Attached Images

12-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting to see this company supporting Pentax. Has anyone used the software enough to see how well it does things like timelapse?