Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2018, 06:18 PM - 19 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Four SDKS to be released

Four software development kits to be released, for the remote operation of PENTAX digital SLR cameras via smartphones or personal computers | Global | Ricoh

News Release
Four software development kits to be released, for the remote operation of PENTAX digital SLR cameras via smartphones or personal computers
TOKYO, May 16, 2018 - Ricoh today announced the release of four software development kits (SDK), designed for the remote operation of PENTAX-brand digital SLR cameras using smartphones and personal computers. Based on these kits, users can develop software or applications that enable them to operate their cameras from a distance, and then output captured Live View images to external monitors. They also allow for the simultaneous control of multiple cameras, making it easier to develop systems using digital cameras for various industrial fields.
SDKs to be released:
RICOH Camera USB SDK for Microsoft® .NET Framework
RICOH Camera USB SDK for C++
RICOH Camera Wireless SDK for iOS
RICOH Camera Wireless SDK for Android™
Compatible camera models:
PENTAX 645Z *
PENTAX K-1 Mark II
PENTAX K-1
PENTAX KP
PENTAX K-70 **
Main features:
Choice of USB or Wireless connection, in combination with compatible PENTAX-brand digital SLR cameras.
First SDKs designed for use with PENTAX-brand digital SLR cameras.
How to download:
Access the dedicated Web site (https://api.ricoh/; available in English only) to download the SDKs.
SKDs can be downloaded free of charge; however, RICOH CO., LTD. will not provide any additional technical support.
This model is compatible with the RICOH Camera USB SDK for Microsoft® .NET Framework and RICOH Camera USB SDK for C++ only.
This model is compatible with the RICOH Camera Wireless SDK for iOS and RICOH Camera Wireless SDK for Android only.
Microsoft and .NET Framework are the trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
iOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
News release in PDF format
http://www.ricoh.com/release/2018/pdf/0516_1.pdf

05-15-2018, 06:27 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

This is [potentially] amazing news, esp given all the struggles Pentax hackers have had in the past.

Let 1000 flowers bloom.
05-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brilliant news, I can't wait to start playing around with these!
05-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Neat. I downloaded the .Net package and took a look see. Comes with an API, Docs, the SDK dll, and a couple sample projects - one for console/terminal screen and another for liveview output in a .net window. Seems early but interesting.

05-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great they have provided sample code also. That really helps.
05-15-2018, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've posted over the last several years hoping for Pentax to do something exactly like this. Provide the functionality within the camera and post and/or make publicly available the interface. Let third party software developers bring their innovation to the Pentax community. Pentax wifi tethering has been panned by a number of reviewers. With a better in hand user-interfaces, Pentax may get a bit of additional traction in this respect. Hopefully, third party tethering tools like Backyard EOS / Nikon will expand their support to include Pentax. Pentax has some really nice astro capabilities - hopefully this can be expanded.... along with other more general purpose tethering tools like LightRoom.

05-15-2018, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very Nice!
Finally we see a major camera maker do this and leverage on the "smarts" of the larger World out there.

05-15-2018, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Kudos for making it all open source with no proprietary dependencies, unless I missed something in the python package. My k3ii is not compatible but this is the right way to go.
05-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just saw a pig fly by. A wondrous thing this. Should make all those astro hackers happy.
05-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wow! I am extremely jazzed. Java in addition to .NET and C++ would have been nice for the USB SDK as would extension back to the K-3/K-3II, but I ain't whining.

Steve
05-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

can the usb sdk C++ be developed for Linux operating systems?
05-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Kudos for making it all open source with no proprietary dependencies, unless I missed something in the python package.
I can't say in regards to the Python Cloud APIs, but I don't see anything indicating that the Camera APIs or elements of the SDK itself are Open Source with the possible exception of code examples. The camera SDK does use the Open Source WpdMtp library for media transfer protocol implementation, but there is no reference that I could find to a code repository for source of the rest.

Edit: I will have to spend some time with the C++ SDK to determine what licensing is applied to the C++ sources.

Steve
05-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
can the usb sdk C++ be developed for Linux operating systems?
Quick Start Linux

The answer appears to be yes.

Steve
05-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

brilliant, i hope some nice software dev's are generous enough to give it a go
05-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Awesome! Wish my trusty K-30 was compatible, but it's good news nonetheless.