Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 95 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great news!
I'm not of any help here but I'll be glad to see what you guys are doing with this sdk's.

05-15-2018, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic direction to go in!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2018, 11:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Excellent news!
05-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #19
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is great news. Good move.

However, I‘m not a developer, does that mean that MacOS is not included?

05-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm totally illiterate with regard to software*, but it looks like a good thing and a lot of trusted voices here are excited about it, so I'll certainly join the choir of approval even if I won't be doing any development

* and mechanics and electronics, incidentally - I just like taking pictures and am glad of anyone or anything that improves that experience

Last edited by ffking; 05-16-2018 at 12:08 AM.
05-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
This is great news. Good move.

However, I‘m not a developer, does that mean that MacOS is not included?
.NET Core and Framework is available for Linux and MacOS so yes, MacOS and Linux is supported for the USB SDK
05-16-2018, 12:22 AM - 2 Likes   #22
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
.NET Core and Framework is available for Linux and MacOS so yes, MacOS and Linux is supported for the USB SDK
Thanks. I hope Capture One will add it.

05-16-2018, 12:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

That is excelent news.
05-16-2018, 12:53 AM   #24

Sorry if my knowledge is outdated, or wrong, hence my question: I knew core was available for linux but I thought the original framework was windows-only (and the api-site says framework 4,5, not core what I can see?), unless going for mono, but in that case just to version 2?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong on this =)
05-16-2018, 01:18 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
Sorry if my knowledge is outdated, or wrong, hence my question: I knew core was available for linux but I thought the original framework was windows-only (and the api-site says framework 4,5, not core what I can see?), unless going for mono, but in that case just to version 2?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to be wrong on this =)
Microsoft Launches Its .NET Distribution For Linux And Mac – TechCrunch
.NET Downloads for macOS

The C++ SDK should apply to MacOS too.
05-16-2018, 02:13 AM   #26
JPT
Pentaxian

This is great news. I just hope theee are some people with the skills and inclination to do something with it.

Ricoh started this kind of initiative with Theta and it seems they felt it was successful enough to apply to Pentax. Regardless of what you think about Theta as a product, it seems like this is something that benefits Pentax users too.

Despite only modest camera updates recently, Ricoh has come up with two genuinely progressive moves this year - the upgrade service and this SDK.
05-16-2018, 02:31 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Confused with iOS, they are covering themselves mentioning Cisco as trademark holder but is this aimed at Apple IOS? If actually aimed at Cisco then cool, potentially allow way better identification at network stack layer amidst all the other IOT crap out there. I'm game to assist in any PF community dev effort. This is BIG and welcome news from Ricoh.

Edit: Found an answer to my own question, it is for Apple IOS (iPhone) using Swift 4 language.

Last edited by robbiec; 05-16-2018 at 02:42 AM.
05-16-2018, 02:45 AM   #28

Great news! Although I am not a GUI programmer, the documentation looks pretty good. It has live view streaming with option to say “focus on this pixel”, so studio work is covered. Documentation and reference seems pretty good — sample snippets are relevant and readable, there is “Hello world” code to get you started, C++ code is clean and readable.

When K-1ii came out, I had to spend a week convincing myself that I don't need K-1 and my K-5 is just fine. Damn it, Ricoh is putting some serious pressure on my wallet.

Alas, the licence is not compatible with GPL. At least the licence explicitly states the fact. I guess we will not see it integrated in Darktable any time soon.

Last edited by Tranzistors; 05-16-2018 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Comment on licence.
05-16-2018, 03:25 AM   #29

Do I misunderstand (or need some coffee...), the link is for .net core and not .net framework?

But yes, I only thought about .net and forgot about the c++ one, guess that should apply to any os having c++ llibs.
05-16-2018, 03:32 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
guess that should apply to any os having c++ llibs.
It is not the case. The SDK comes with compiled .so files, so you can't just use it on any old OS or architecture, like Solaris on spark.