Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2018, 03:46 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope that my animation program developers will take this to make my K-1 compactible with the program. Huge files, yes, but smooth and thin Oof..and more.

05-16-2018, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #32

I wish I had compatibile camera to play with this. Should be fun.
I don't know java much, but looking at java code i think it should be possible to implement wireless API on any programming language, that supports websocks. therefor it should be possible to make some platform independent app using javascript and maybe PWA. I'd love to see same app on android, linux, windows, iOS, ChromeOS etc. without need to write separate code for every platform.

Anyway, in wireless code there are also references to GRII and WG-M2 and K-S2, not only metioned K1/K1II, KP and K70 , so maybe this API will work with it too.
05-16-2018, 05:02 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can't say in regards to the Python Cloud APIs
The Python code is under MIT license and after briefly looking at their sources they use all standard libraries, I did not see dependencies on binaries shipped as-is https://github.com/ricohapi/ricoh-cloud-sdk-python/blob/master/LICENSE
05-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
The Python code is under MIT license and after briefly looking at their sources they use all standard libraries, I did not see dependencies on binaries shipped as-is ricoh-cloud-sdk-python/LICENSE at master · ricohapi/ricoh-cloud-sdk-python · GitHub
I was unable to find the project page on github for the camera apis. All I could find is sections for the cloud and Theta apis, though perhaps the camera stuff will be added (hope).

https://github.com/ricohapi

Steve

05-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #35
Pentaxian

PC Desktop tethering K-1 via WLAN works well

WIll be a great way to increase the eight existing options for camera remote control:
PC Desktop tethering K-1 via WLAN works well - PentaxForums.com
05-16-2018, 10:38 AM - 3 Likes   #36
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I've posted over the last several years hoping for Pentax to do something exactly like this. Provide the functionality within the camera and post and/or make publicly available the interface. Let third party software developers bring their innovation to the Pentax community. Pentax wifi tethering has been panned by a number of reviewers. With a better in hand user-interfaces, Pentax may get a bit of additional traction in this respect. Hopefully, third party tethering tools like Backyard EOS / Nikon will expand their support to include Pentax. Pentax has some really nice astro capabilities - hopefully this can be expanded.... along with other more general purpose tethering tools like LightRoom.

The addition of a "BackyardPentax" program to the Canon (EOS) and Nikon versions would be most welcome in the astro community. This could release the awesome astro capabilities of Pentax cameras to begin to overcome the overwhelming Canon domination of DSLR astro imaging.

I have been quite jealous of the ease of using Canon DSLRs in astro imaging, while I have to do everything manually with Pentax. Which is why I've moved on to the ZWO ASI071 MC-COOL astro camera, which "happens" to use the same sensor as my K-5.

Note that I'm talking about deep-sky astro imaging, using tracking mounts, at the moment, rather than wide-field. But BackyardPentax could go beyond the Canon and Nikon versions to incorporate using Astrotracer in wide-field applications also, without needing a tracking mount.

This move by Ricoh is excellent, should give a noticeable boost to Pentax over time.
05-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #37
Forum Member

Go Pentax go!!
The Times They Are A Changin'

05-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Wow! Great news. I'm looking forward to see the creativity of the software developers. Hoiy Cow, perhaps we will have a first class tool on our phones and tablets.
05-16-2018, 11:59 AM - 3 Likes   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In reviewing the documentation, I am wishing for a camera emulator. I suppose I could write one now that there is a public API.

Steve
05-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In reviewing the documentation, I am wishing for a camera emulator. I suppose I could write one now that there is a public API.

Steve
Would you use that for testing your apps created using the now public SDKs?

I am just hoping someone creates a tethering program so I don't have to spend 200 bucks for what is currently out there. I would donate to a tip jar though!
05-16-2018, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
The addition of a "BackyardPentax" program to the Canon (EOS) and Nikon versions would be most welcome in the astro community. This could release the awesome astro capabilities of Pentax cameras to begin to overcome the overwhelming Canon domination of DSLR astro imaging.

I have been quite jealous of the ease of using Canon DSLRs in astro imaging, while I have to do everything manually with Pentax. Which is why I've moved on to the ZWO ASI071 MC-COOL astro camera, which "happens" to use the same sensor as my K-5.

Note that I'm talking about deep-sky astro imaging, using tracking mounts, at the moment, rather than wide-field. But BackyardPentax could go beyond the Canon and Nikon versions to incorporate using Astrotracer in wide-field applications also, without needing a tracking mount.

This move by Ricoh is excellent, should give a noticeable boost to Pentax over time.
On a lark, I emailed O'Telescope providing them with a link to the Ricoh announcement on the SDKs and asking if they would entertain extending their product support to include Pentax. So, that was yesterday - and nothing back yet....

05-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As cool as this is, I hope it doesn’t mean Ricoh has abandoned development of their own tools...

-Eric
05-16-2018, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Why would it mean that?
Do we have to transform every positive news into FUD?
05-16-2018, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
As cool as this is, I hope it doesn’t mean Ricoh has abandoned development of their own tools...
I doubt that will happen.

If anything, release of these SDK's, and generally being more developer friendly, will grow the Pentax software eco-system, and also (depending on the licenses third party developers adopt for the code and applications they make available) enable Ricoh themselves to further add to and enhance their own applications in future.
05-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Would you use that for testing your apps created using the now public SDKs?
In part, yes. I usually write unit tests for component testing, but integration testing requires either a camera or something that presents as a camera, preferably with logging.

Steve