Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 95 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #46
Veteran Member

I hope someone will now be able to do something that allows the camera HDMI output to be displayed 'clean' - ie free of all the menus and other overlays. Maybe even re-enable sensor-based video stabilisation too.

05-16-2018, 08:35 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I hope someone will now be able to do something that allows the camera HDMI output to be displayed 'clean' - ie free of all the menus and other overlays. Maybe even re-enable sensor-based video stabilisation too.
I haven't delved too deep into the APIs, but it does not look like the HDMI interface or low-level stabilization control is exposed. That is the problem with APIs and SDKs, support is limited to data and functions the manufacturer wants to expose and nothing more. USB is the only output supported and SR does not appear to be among the supported camera settings, much less anything hack-able.

https://api.ricoh/docs/camera-usb-sdk-cpp-reference/classRicoh_1_1CameraCont...reSetting.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-16-2018 at 08:48 PM.
05-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exciting! This portends to be like the old days on K10D when the conversations around use of GB and manual lenses were robust and positive. I remember refreshing the screen to update Replies as 100 people were active on a thread. Have fun guys!

.:
05-16-2018, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This is great news. I just hope theee are some people with the skills and inclination to do something with it.

Ricoh started this kind of initiative with Theta and it seems they felt it was successful enough to apply to Pentax. Regardless of what you think about Theta as a product, it seems like this is something that benefits Pentax users too.

Despite only modest camera updates recently, Ricoh has come up with two genuinely progressive moves this year - the upgrade service and this SDK.
^^ They’re pretty creative. It feels like they’ve got some energy building and ideas bubbling up. EVF’s are so 2015 - RIcoh is having FUN!

.:

05-16-2018, 10:20 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

Fantastic news!

I wish I had more time on my hands right now to delve into it, but hopefully I'll find ways to contribute to coding efforts in the future.

We should set up a forum/thread dedicated to the development of open source applications using the Ricoh APIs.

It looks like focus adjustments are supported which could mean that potentially lens calibration could be automated (depending on the precision of supported adjustments).
05-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It looks like focus adjustments are supported which could mean that potentially lens calibration could be automated (depending on the precision of supported adjustments).
This would be fantastic if it can be done.
05-16-2018, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is the problem with APIs and SDKs, support is limited to data and functions the manufacturer wants to expose and nothing more.
Sure, but have you seen the pkg.Ricoh.CameraController class diagram?

I'm excited about the apparent support for focus adjustments. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the method.

It would be fantastic if you could write a camera emulator. It would be invaluable for development and testing.

BTW, I'm wondering whether USB tethering support could extend to older models as well. Perhaps the limited number of models mentioned in the announcement is due to Wi-Fi support but older models would still work with wired connections?

05-16-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

BTW, I'm wondering whether USB tethering support could extend to older models as well. Perhaps the limited number of models mentioned in the announcement is due to Wi-Fi support but older models would still work with wired connections?
I was wondering the same thing.

Steve
05-16-2018, 10:52 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Veteran Member

support for focus adjustments
Meaning there is potential for some focus stacking options too.
05-16-2018, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

Sure, but have you seen the pkg.Ricoh.CameraController class diagram?

I'm excited about the apparent support for focus adjustments. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the method.
Why are you looking at diagrams and not documentation?
E.g.
Live View
05-17-2018, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why are you looking at diagrams and not documentation?
I just found the diagram first.

But thanks for the pointer! Now we definitely know that relative focus adjustments are supported! (<- you may have to scroll up a bit to see the "Adjust Focus" section).

The question remains how small those adjustments (for parameter values "1" and "-1") can be, but if it is a usably small adjustment then the door is open to focus stacking and automated lens calibration.
05-17-2018, 01:58 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Four software development kits to be released, for the remote operation of PENTAX digital SLR cameras via smartphones or personal computers | Global | Ricoh

News Release
Four software development kits to be released, for the remote operation of PENTAX digital SLR cameras via smartphones or personal computers
TOKYO, May 16, 2018 - Ricoh today announced the release of four software development kits (SDK), designed for the remote operation of PENTAX-brand digital SLR cameras using smartphones and personal computers. Based on these kits, users can develop software or applications that enable them to operate their cameras from a distance, and then output captured Live View images to external monitors. They also allow for the simultaneous control of multiple cameras, making it easier to develop systems using digital cameras for various industrial fields.
SDKs to be released:
RICOH Camera USB SDK for Microsoft® .NET Framework
RICOH Camera USB SDK for C++
RICOH Camera Wireless SDK for iOS
RICOH Camera Wireless SDK for Android™
Compatible camera models:
PENTAX 645Z *
PENTAX K-1 Mark II
PENTAX K-1
PENTAX KP
PENTAX K-70 **
Main features:
Choice of USB or Wireless connection, in combination with compatible PENTAX-brand digital SLR cameras.
First SDKs designed for use with PENTAX-brand digital SLR cameras.
How to download:
Access the dedicated Web site (https://api.ricoh/; available in English only) to download the SDKs.
SKDs can be downloaded free of charge; however, RICOH CO., LTD. will not provide any additional technical support.
This model is compatible with the RICOH Camera USB SDK for Microsoft® .NET Framework and RICOH Camera USB SDK for C++ only.
This model is compatible with the RICOH Camera Wireless SDK for iOS and RICOH Camera Wireless SDK for Android only.
Microsoft and .NET Framework are the trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
iOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
News release in PDF format
http://www.ricoh.com/release/2018/pdf/0516_1.pdf
Just an update for your post....Seems a semi-colon crept into your link! RICOH Developer Connection
05-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #58

Awesome news! Too bad my K-3II is not in the list or I would have played with the .NET SDK.
05-17-2018, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #59

Photos: Albums
Awesome! But no K-S2 support! shakes tiny fist

Peter
05-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #60
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just found the diagram first.

But thanks for the pointer! Now we definitely know that relative focus adjustments are supported! (<- you may have to scroll up a bit to see the "Adjust Focus" section).

The question remains how small those adjustments (for parameter values "1" and "-1") can be, but if it is a usably small adjustment then the door is open to focus stacking and automated lens calibration.
A "BackyardPentax" program for use with tracking mounts for astro imaging would absolutely require fine focusing adjustments. Great that it is available.

How fine is it? Seems that we already have several applications that require that it be quite fine. I hope that the SDK provides adequate fineness in focus adjustment, or its usefulness will be compromised.